Is there a real difference?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Between a Timex watch and a Movado watch? Other than the price? I love the Movado watch, I got a nice thank you for a job I did for someone so I can actually afford the watch. But, is it going to last any longer? Make me any smarter? Is it strictly a status thing?

If you want it - get it! You only live once and if you can afford to get something you love and want - do not think about it! GET IT! You will have regrets otherwise (and a yearning).

Movado watches are classic "museum watches" in that they have the single diamond on them. It's a swiss movement and should therefore holds it's value better. But essentially it's jewelry.
The Timex holds no value once it's put on your arm. And no longer takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It's a cheap Chinese watch that you buy at Wally's.

When DH and I first met, he never wore a watch. Said he wouldn't wear a watch until it was the one he always wanted. It took me years to figure out what he really wanted, because he didn't want to tell me. As a surprise for him, I bought him his Movado Museum watch for Christmas. He was blown away, surprised and excited. That was about 8 years ago. He's only worn the watch twice. I keep trying to get him to wear it for special occasions, but he's either afraid it will be stolen when we travel to really nice places or it was so long since he wore it, the battery went dead.
What a waste of a beautiful watch...if you do get it, will you actually wear it and enjoy it?

When DH and I first met, he never wore a watch. Said he wouldn't wear a watch until it was the one he always wanted. It took me years to figure out what he really wanted, because he didn't want to tell me. As a surprise for him, I bought him his Movado Museum watch for Christmas. He was blown away, surprised and excited. That was about 8 years ago. He's only worn the watch twice. I keep trying to get him to wear it for special occasions, but he's either afraid it will be stolen when we travel to really nice places or it was so long since he wore it, the battery went dead.
What a waste of a beautiful watch...if you do get it, will you actually wear it and enjoy it?.
I've decided I want a watch. I've been looking at them for awhile. I don't have a cellphone, so I'm the only person I know who doesn't know what time it is all the time! I can hear the church bells chime the half hours but that doesn't help if I'm not home!
My son asked for a Movado when he was in high school. He bought himself a Rolex after college. He doesn't wear a watch now, tho, because of the phone.
I don't think I'd worry about it being stolen as it doesn't cost as much as my earrings. (Which I do remove when we travel.)

What a waste of a beautiful watch...if you do get it, will you actually wear it and enjoy it?.
I've decided I want a watch. I've been looking at them for awhile. I don't have a cellphone, so I'm the only person I know who doesn't know what time it is all the time! I can hear the church bells chime the half hours but that doesn't help if I'm not home!
My son asked for a Movado when he was in high school. He bought himself a Rolex after college. He doesn't wear a watch now, tho, because of the phone.
I don't think I'd worry about it being stolen as it doesn't cost as much as my earrings. (Which I do remove when we travel.)
I own a few watches, including watches from Casio, Citizen, Philip Stein, a Longines and a gold Girard Perregaux. Understandably, I never wear the GP watch unless it's a special occassion. But it's not only held it's value, it's appreciated. Of course, not everyone can put that kind of money into a watch (and mine was a gift from my father.)
If it's just for a casual watch, give me a Casio anytime, especially if it is analog and digita (dual time-zone) and has a light. Citizen is the high end of this kind of watch. But there is something nice about having a nice watch. And take my word for it, Movado is low end and they aren't usually looking to take a Movado....
If you are going to steal a watch for good money, you want a Blancpain, Audemars Piguet, Cartier, and Patek Phillippe for example. And if they want to be able to actually turn it over easy for money they want something in high demand like Breitling, TAG Heuer, Tissot or Rolox.

I own a few watches, including watches from Casio, Citizen, Philip Stein, a Longines and a gold Girard Perregaux. Understandably, I never wear the GP watch unless it's a special occassion. But it's not only held it's value, it's appreciated. Of course, not everyone can put that kind of money into a watch (and mine was a gift from my father.)
If it's just for a casual watch, give me a Casio anytime, especially if it is analog and digita (dual time-zone) and has a light. Citizen is the high end of this kind of watch. But there is something nice about having a nice watch. And take my word for it, Movado is low end and they aren't usually looking to take a Movado....
If you are going to steal a watch for good money, you want a Blancpain, Audemars Piguet, Cartier, and Patek Phillippe for example. And if they want to be able to actually turn it over easy for money they want something in high demand like Breitling, TAG Heuer, Tissot or Rolox.
Yup, I looked at a couple of pricey watches just for fun. I guess I'm the $300 watch kinda girl. None of those appealed. Lots of bells and whistles and not a one of them was 'pretty'.
A lot of watches with the movements visible, that was neat. Lots of high end watches with cheap-looking bands.
Still looking. I want a watch that goes anywhere. With anything. The Movado seems to fit the bill. Elegant, but I could wear it with jeans as well. (Good thing!)

Eric Arthur Blair said:
It wouldn't be the pro thiefs I'd worry about, it's the housekeeping staff at the hotel/resorts in some of the vacation spots we're at. The only time we get to dress up is when we're on vacation.

Yup, I looked at a couple of pricey watches just for fun. I guess I'm the $300 watch kinda girl. None of those appealed. Lots of bells and whistles and not a one of them was 'pretty'.
A lot of watches with the movements visible, that was neat. Lots of high end watches with cheap-looking bands.
Still looking. I want a watch that goes anywhere. With anything. The Movado seems to fit the bill. Elegant, but I could wear it with jeans as well. (Good thing!)
Alibi Ike said:
You can buy a Movado for $300? Go for it....I spent a lot more than that 10 years ago.

Alibi Ike said:
You can buy a Movado for $300? Go for it....I spent a lot more than that 10 years ago.
For that kind of price, you are probably looking at ESQ by Movado. Movado's should start at about $500 or so. ESQ usualy starts at about half of that.

Try doing a search on Amazon. They let you pick the shape, colour, movement, etc. You can always compare elsewhere after you found your model.

it won't make you smarter, except you'll know the time once you get it.
wink_smile.gif

there is a difference in the quality of fine watch movements.
but basically, like anything else, it has to be a jewelry accessory that you like.

Movado is not low end.....
Just that the museum piece with the black face has been over produced.....I have a couple Movado's among other things in a safety deposit box....
I have Timex and Casio sitting in dresser drawer.
My watch of choice 24/7 for the past 8 years or so.........Fossil....

Movado is not low end.....
Just that the museum piece with the black face has been over produced.....I have a couple Movado's among other things in a safety deposit box....
I have Timex and Casio sitting in dresser drawer.
My watch of choice 24/7 for the past 8 years or so.........Fossil.....
My brother works on a dairy farm and swears by Fossil. The durability of them is incredible.
I agree...Fossil rocks. Sorry, I had to do it! ;)

Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
Overstock. But one of the reviews said it was a low-end band. So that may be part of how they do that. Movado watch but knock off band.

I bought an expensive watch. It now sits in the safe. I didn't wear a watch before and can't get used to it but I do carry a cell phone so I have the time.

Back