Is there a time you just close the inn?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We close from November until April. I run this whole thing by myself, I am the one that is available 24/7, I clean everything myself due to not being able to get reliable help, I really do EVERYTHING. Guess what, I need a break. A long break. When I open up again, I am ready to smile and laugh about the stupid things people do.
Iris, there are several folks here on the forum that know what you do!! We have been there, done that.
regular_smile.gif

Your break is coming up...enjoy it!!!

We stay open all year round. Jan and feb are very slow, but that gives us time to do any work required.
Also close for vacations, like now..
HJ, Have you made it home yet? I suspect that "Sandy" forced you to spend a few extra days in Boston as all the planes were grounded before yours was due to leave. Let us know how your holidays went.

We stay open all year round. Jan and feb are very slow, but that gives us time to do any work required.
hope you are enjoying your hols!
I hope they are, too! :smile:
Madeleine said:
We had a lovely time. Our flight back to the UK was delayed by 24 hours, but considering the problems that Sandy is causing others I think we got off lightly.

Madeleine said:
We had a lovely time. Our flight back to the UK was delayed by 24 hours, but considering the problems that Sandy is causing others I think we got off lightly.
Glad you got home ok and in a reasonable amount of time.

Madeleine said:
Glad you got home but sorry you could not stay longer. I could envision a hop across the States and back, just with inn-mates.

I try to stay ahead of the schedule and block time off when things are going on (weddings, baby showers, etc.) and we are fortunate to have a great innsitter, but as she takes vacation from her regular full time job for us her availability is limited. December thru early March we are generally closed Sunday-Thursday.
We are seeing the shift to the winter type guests right now...SLOW moving, don't expect them to eat breakfast before 9 or check out a moment before 11. This is just super frustrating for us, we are early morning people and always have a ton of stuff to do, it just makes steam come out of our ears when we have to sit here and wait, wait, wait! And yes, I realize this is our job and that is why we are selling, we are not interested in doing the job anymore! I will be SO HAPPY when my schedule doesn't need to revolve around EVERYONE else's!!!

I try to stay ahead of the schedule and block time off when things are going on (weddings, baby showers, etc.) and we are fortunate to have a great innsitter, but as she takes vacation from her regular full time job for us her availability is limited. December thru early March we are generally closed Sunday-Thursday.
We are seeing the shift to the winter type guests right now...SLOW moving, don't expect them to eat breakfast before 9 or check out a moment before 11. This is just super frustrating for us, we are early morning people and always have a ton of stuff to do, it just makes steam come out of our ears when we have to sit here and wait, wait, wait! And yes, I realize this is our job and that is why we are selling, we are not interested in doing the job anymore! I will be SO HAPPY when my schedule doesn't need to revolve around EVERYONE else's!!!.
You're selling? Hopefully it is a short wait for a buyer!
Even tho I am not a morning person I know what you mean about waiting around for guests to get up and then get out. I watch them sitting around in the dining room and wonder if they really don't have anything else to do with their day but read the paper!

We are seeing the shift to the winter type guests right now...SLOW moving, don't expect them to eat breakfast before 9 or check out a moment before 11. This is just super frustrating for us, we are early morning people and always have a ton of stuff to do, it just makes steam come out of our ears when we have to sit here and wait, wait, wait! And yes, I realize this is our job and that is why we are selling, we are not interested in doing the job anymore! I will be SO HAPPY when my schedule doesn't need to revolve around EVERYONE else's!!!.
You're selling? Hopefully it is a short wait for a buyer!
Even tho I am not a morning person I know what you mean about waiting around for guests to get up and then get out. I watch them sitting around in the dining room and wonder if they really don't have anything else to do with their day but read the paper!
Thanks :) Lots of interest, hard for folks to get financing together in this market, but we're hopeful.
And yes, I know I'm being irrational, these people are on vacation and deserve to relax, but c'mon, there's so much to do out there, GO DO IT!

We close in the spring after the ski area closes--usually mid- to late-April through May, though we open the week the nearby bible school has graduation and generally pick up a few overflow parents. Nobody comes to the mountains that time of the year: "mud season" is a reality for us. We are nominally open for Memorial Day, though we only have a few guests braving the High Country so early in the season. Whoever wrote "When It's Springtime In the Rockies" had never been to the Rockies in the springtime.
This time of the year is really slow for us. The aspens have shed their leaves and the ski area isn't open yet. We'll have a full house this weekend for B&Bs for Vets--we're giving away 2 free nights, and the bar band I used to play in is coming up to provide entertainment, but after that, it's slow until after Thanksgiving, when the skiers start showing up.
Since the vast majority of our reservations are on-line, we just block out days when we need off. We did that in September when our godson got married in Indiana.
Between our two high seasons--summer and winter--our shoulder seasons offer us ample opportunity to get away. And since, even at the height of the ski season, there's usually one day in the middle of the week when we can go skiing. If we have guests in the Lodge, we tell them our plans; not infrequently, we meet them on the slopes or in the bar.
Tom

Back