Is there a tipping point?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
We opened in 2007. Two rooms in an out of the way area with two other local B&Bs open a year before us. (There were none here when we were in the planning phase).
Steadily increased bookings until the recession hit us in 2009. Opened vacation rental apartment in 2010. Increases resumed. Listed vacation rental on Air. Bookings for that doubled. Inmate did a website makeover (DH: "I liked the one we had") in 2014. (Sometimes the intervention just has to come from outside). Another bump up.
Last season added B&B rooms to Air. Last year we got to 40% of gross income from B&B plus vac rental. (40% of that income from Air)
This year we have a huge increase in advance bookings for July and August. This has not been typical for us. These bookings mostly from our website.
This last week a few multi day stay advance bookings, also from our website. Happy inside as there were so many one-nighters last year. (This is not a popular destination area, plus a local resort re-opened and a small hotel reopened in the town 7 miles away). We are so far holding our own and then some.
For you long time operators - did you notice a similar progression? Was there a time when you thought - wow- we're on the map! Were you suddenly comfortable in your B&B role? I suppose if we had taken business classes this might have been covered, but for us there was not extra time to do that. We had to dive in. This and another forum were the classes.
I think last year was somehow a tipping point.
Im still not counting my chickens. The present trajectory indicates we will match last year. But of course there are no guarantees.

Congratulations! I get that feeling, "I think we've got the hang of this now!" just about every weekend. :)

In spite of the absolutely personally crappy 2015, I think that's when I started feeling at home. Ten years in.
Business is not booming but it's not the tragedy it was in 2007 or so. I would say we're holding steady. The biggest jump we saw was year 2 after all the repeats accepted us.
Our occupancy has dropped considerably from 10 years ago, when there were 600 fewer rooms in the area. But we've kept the income up with raised rates.

We held it together for the first 10 years. I would reach a revenue ceiling - almost the same dollar amount each year after the 3rd year. Then the second bathroom went in and revenue went up by 1/3 (raised rates helped that too). 2008 & 2009 held on. 2014 was the best revenue year ever, I was dancin'! 2015 went back to prior to the second bathroom - even at my current rates & with a couple elopements.
So far this year, I am over $1000 more than 2015 at this time and have a couple full-house reservations on the books. That in itself gives hope - they are future bookings which has not happened in a few years (and I DID ask for and got a check for deposit).
I also estimate over 2000 hotel rooms have opened in my "corridor" since I opened in 1996. In the last 2 years, 2 have opened at the exit I bring people in (plus the 2 on the other side of the Interstate at that exit from 5 years ago) and one old seedy motel was knocked down and replace with a new hotel with another across the road from it, less than 5 miles from my exit. And then there is Air.....

In spite of the absolutely personally crappy 2015, I think that's when I started feeling at home. Ten years in.
Business is not booming but it's not the tragedy it was in 2007 or so. I would say we're holding steady. The biggest jump we saw was year 2 after all the repeats accepted us.
Our occupancy has dropped considerably from 10 years ago, when there were 600 fewer rooms in the area. But we've kept the income up with raised rates..
We're almost 10 years in also. Was reflecting on all the changes since day one. Continual small changes mostly. Looking forward to the season. Come October I may be demanding more time away. But at this time, feel ready and happy.

We held it together for the first 10 years. I would reach a revenue ceiling - almost the same dollar amount each year after the 3rd year. Then the second bathroom went in and revenue went up by 1/3 (raised rates helped that too). 2008 & 2009 held on. 2014 was the best revenue year ever, I was dancin'! 2015 went back to prior to the second bathroom - even at my current rates & with a couple elopements.
So far this year, I am over $1000 more than 2015 at this time and have a couple full-house reservations on the books. That in itself gives hope - they are future bookings which has not happened in a few years (and I DID ask for and got a check for deposit).
I also estimate over 2000 hotel rooms have opened in my "corridor" since I opened in 1996. In the last 2 years, 2 have opened at the exit I bring people in (plus the 2 on the other side of the Interstate at that exit from 5 years ago) and one old seedy motel was knocked down and replace with a new hotel with another across the road from it, less than 5 miles from my exit. And then there is Air......
Small room with get an additional sitting room. That project was supposed to be done over the winter but too busy with work and Dad. Large room should get new shower starting tomorrow. Room upgrades should help things overall.
Just mowed the lawn in advance of apt arrival. Now off to see Dad.

I also estimate over 2000 hotel rooms have opened in my "corridor" since I opened in 1996. In the last 2 years, 2 have opened at the exit I bring people in (plus the 2 on the other side of the Interstate at that exit from 5 years ago) and one old seedy motel was knocked down and replace with a new hotel with another across the road from it, less than 5 miles from my exit. And then there is Air......
Small room with get an additional sitting room. That project was supposed to be done over the winter but too busy with work and Dad. Large room should get new shower starting tomorrow. Room upgrades should help things overall.
Just mowed the lawn in advance of apt arrival. Now off to see Dad.
A landscape guy was supposed to come 2 weeks ago, did not come but called to say next week. That was a week ago. I put off my lawn guy expecting the landscape to come get everything shaped up. When he did not come Friday I was not a happy person. When the lawn guy called back yesterday, I worked a deal with him to do the extra, of course for extra cash. Within an hour he was here doing my, by now, mini hay field.
I am supposed to have a pro photog here the end of the week doing my place. Cross fingers the rhodo holds out and does not fade.

Our occupancy has dropped considerably from 10 years ago, when there were 600 fewer rooms in the area. But we've kept the income up with raised rates..
We're almost 10 years in also. Was reflecting on all the changes since day one. Continual small changes mostly. Looking forward to the season. Come October I may be demanding more time away. But at this time, feel ready and happy.
That's a wonderful outlook.
We undertook some long-time-coming repairs and that has made a big difference.

Back