Is This a Good Deal?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
Working on the motel, the plumbers told us about a church with a lightly used NSF Universal 10 burner double oven gas range for $500.00. Looks very nice. We have an older 6 burner w/ 24" griddle which needs work to comply with code. I need to get back to them before they put it on the internet. Can't find price info online.
Is this a deal?

I would say HECK YEAH!!!!
ETA: those run thousands of $ here for a 6 burner stove.

From the prices i have seen in Sears for regular stoves, I would grab it. I am dreading the day when my 1952 stove bites the dust. I miss my double oven terribly even 15 years later. 10 burners and double oven for a mere $500? Died and gone to heaven!

Thanks all, I am leaning that way. Plumbers cousin, appliance plumber, saw our range and said he could rehab it to code. It is an old Garland which was rebuilt and works (also double oven) I do like the griddle, but the church's is nicer but no griddle.
Are more burners better than a griddle?

From the prices i have seen in Sears for regular stoves, I would grab it. I am dreading the day when my 1952 stove bites the dust. I miss my double oven terribly even 15 years later. 10 burners and double oven for a mere $500? Died and gone to heaven!.
Am kicking myself now because last year we did not know how little our "condemned" commercial range needed. I bought a non NSF sealed burner range just for our use, this one is cheaper!

if the church stove works, buy it.
how much to transport? how much to hook it up? i'm still saying buy it ... just wonder about the other charges.

if the church stove works, buy it.
how much to transport? how much to hook it up? i'm still saying buy it ... just wonder about the other charges..
Plumbers offered to transport it for a tank of gas, just charge for the hook-up which would be minimal. They said they will but the old one in the barn. I think hey are looking to build "good will", because they are looking at bidding the addition of 6 bathrooms and all new plumbing at the lodge, although they seem to have a genuine enthusiasm for the place.

Buy it. Even if you eventually decide not to use it, you could resell it for much more. That's what we did with our commercial dishwasher. Bought it used on Craig's list for $1,000, our plumber said buy it because they sell for $4,000 new and even if it needed some repair, it's still worth it.

BUY IT-more burners are better (for me) dont let a good deal pass you by and if im too late i hope you bought it.

Problem is how much is an old one worth? We are having it checked by the plumber who does appliances, they are holding it for us til then. THANKS ALL!
Ebay has a Vulcan at auction to close in 14 days $1600
Universal http://cgi.ebay.com/Univ-Chef-GAS-Commercal-burner-10-RANGE-DOUBLE-OVEN-/330555674911?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D380320180724%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8993733474534003350
This particular one looks like the 9 and 10 burners is a griddle......You maybe able to swap out 2 burners for a griddle

From the prices i have seen in Sears for regular stoves, I would grab it. I am dreading the day when my 1952 stove bites the dust. I miss my double oven terribly even 15 years later. 10 burners and double oven for a mere $500? Died and gone to heaven!.
gillumhouse said:
I am dreading the day when my 1952 stove bites the dust.
WOW! I'd love to have a stove from 1952! It is amazing that those have lasted so long. I have a 1999 stove and it is showing its wear already.

Problem is how much is an old one worth? We are having it checked by the plumber who does appliances, they are holding it for us til then. THANKS ALL!
Ebay has a Vulcan at auction to close in 14 days $1600
Universal http://cgi.ebay.com/Univ-Chef-GAS-Commercal-burner-10-RANGE-DOUBLE-OVEN-/330555674911?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D380320180724%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8993733474534003350
This particular one looks like the 9 and 10 burners is a griddle......You maybe able to swap out 2 burners for a griddle
OK by now I figure it is a deal! I was thinking it is probably possible to get a griddle. Will ask the appliance plumber. It is older, but still has the original manual and instructions!

gillumhouse said:
I am dreading the day when my 1952 stove bites the dust.
WOW! I'd love to have a stove from 1952! It is amazing that those have lasted so long. I have a 1999 stove and it is showing its wear already.
Unfortunately I can no longer find the number of the man who repaired it for me - or if he could even get parts any longer. The clock - and therefore the timers - stopped working a few years ago. It DID work prior to 2000 - I had to use it for a guest to remove their breakfast from the oven when we had to be elsewhere that morning. The temp-controled burner heats sometimes but not up to temp for pancakes - so it is down to being a 3-burner stove now. Sigh!

Back