Is This A Scam?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received this from bb.com
[FONT= 'Verdana']Thank you for your email.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana'] [/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana']We are aware of these types of scams and unfortunately, they have been circulating via our site. I've provided an example of one such scam below:[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana']'Good day Sir/Madam, I am Mr. Gary Adams of Reagan agency, London. I need to book reservation with you for delegates coming from London for a summit in Big horn, Wyoming. The retreat will start by 1st day of November-14th of November I need to know what you have available within that time range for their accommodation, as the delegates who will be six(6)in number will stay for only a week. Do get back to me quickly, as we don't have much time with us. Thank you and have a nice day. Yours faithfully, Gary A +447040105007'[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana']Once you confirm that you have the availability, the “guest” will tell you they are sending a cashier's check. The check will be over the total amount required for their stay, and they will request that you send the remainder back to them. This is the crux of the scam.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana']While it's not possible to prevent 100% of these types of emails (the more complex the technology becomes to filter these messages, the more creative those who perpetrate such actions become), we are looking at ways – both immediately and ongoing – to minimize this nuisance. For instance, we recently implemented a verification process to ensure that spam robots are not able to send reservation requests through our site.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana']In the meantime, please disregard suspicious inquiries of this type. If you have a question as to the validity of an inquiry, please let us know and we will look into the matter.[/FONT].
Thanks for sharing. It good to know they are trying to implement procedures. But as always...Innkeepers BEWARE!

thanks for sharing the follow up, breakfast diva. someone who gets an inquiry through one of those big listing places might feel secure because it came through them. i am thinking this it what made you question your instincts to simply delete it. hopefully, the big listing sites will post and email warnings for their members ... repeatedly.

I think the bottom line is them asking the owner to send money somewhere. If that happens, you've got a scam.

If I get one that looks possibly as if it may be real, I email them back directiing them to book with my online system. I tell them we use this system to avoid the many internet scam booking requests. They don't do it if they are scamming, since this tells them we are on to them.
Riki

If I get one that looks possibly as if it may be real, I email them back directiing them to book with my online system. I tell them we use this system to avoid the many internet scam booking requests. They don't do it if they are scamming, since this tells them we are on to them.
Riki.
But replying back to them no matter what plays right into their hands. You should NEVER reply to these spam/scam messages!!! You will be on someone's list forever and the emails will increase. They want you to reply so they can spread your email to more scammers.

Riki.
But replying back to them no matter what plays right into their hands. You should NEVER reply to these spam/scam messages!!! You will be on someone's list forever and the emails will increase. They want you to reply so they can spread your email to more scammers.
catlady said:
I only reply if they look like they might be real. I delete the others. Learned from the pros like you.
RIki

Riki.
"You will be on someone's list forever and the emails will increase. They want you to reply so they can spread your email to more scammers."
This gives far too much credit for this being a human generated list. If you received the email, you are already on the list. A lack of response does not remove you from the list....the only thing that might do that is an "undeliverable" response from the mail server. Lists get generated by bots, then sold...and sold ... and sold. Typically the only updating done to the lists are to add more addresses harvested by bots.
There is no cost effectiveness for them to cull the list ... the value of the list is in the quantity of addresses. The people selling the lists have no intention of making the list shorter. ;)

As we say, obv it works or they wouldn't do it..
Yeah it works, some desperate for a little income innkeepers here fell for it. I don't know how after reading what they want to do, this is possible, but there it was.
The "agency" made that reservation for whatever the innkeeper quoted. they sent a check rounding off the amount. Then asked to be sent back the difference ( makes no sense, I know) The innkeeper sent the difference back before the original check cleared, which it didn't. The bank charged back the amount for the check and the innkeeper was out the money.
Did you already know that?
embaressed_smile.gif

Riki.
"You will be on someone's list forever and the emails will increase. They want you to reply so they can spread your email to more scammers."
This gives far too much credit for this being a human generated list. If you received the email, you are already on the list. A lack of response does not remove you from the list....the only thing that might do that is an "undeliverable" response from the mail server. Lists get generated by bots, then sold...and sold ... and sold. Typically the only updating done to the lists are to add more addresses harvested by bots.
There is no cost effectiveness for them to cull the list ... the value of the list is in the quantity of addresses. The people selling the lists have no intention of making the list shorter. ;)
This must be why, 5 years later, telemarketers are still asking for the PO's by name. No matter how many times we say there's no one here by that name, or when they ask for the owners asking them 'owners of what?' we'll never get off any list we're on.

Back