Is This A Scam?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a scam/spam letter that came through bb.com's website?
I just received a guest inquiry from my listing on bb.com's website:
"Hello, I am Simon Webb from London. My client will like to stay in your B&B for one week in Nov.{21-28}.What is your total price for the period & for 2 people? Hope to hear from you soon. Simon"
Sounds pretty fishy to me, but I can't recall anyone saying they were targeted this way. I'm inclined not to respond back.

my client? you know, the wording of the email bothers me. it reads so much like the scam emails. obviously if they see your listing they can figure out how much.
i have had legitimate reservations from foreign countries. But this one ..... telling you my name is soandso from blahblah ... for someone else ... reads like a scam.
i'd get in touch with bb.com and ask them about this if it came through their site

my client? you know, the wording of the email bothers me. it reads so much like the scam emails. obviously if they see your listing they can figure out how much.
i have had legitimate reservations from foreign countries. But this one ..... telling you my name is soandso from blahblah ... for someone else ... reads like a scam.
i'd get in touch with bb.com and ask them about this if it came through their site.
Thanks for that suggestion. I just wrote an e-mail to bb.com and forwarded them the e-mail.

any email inquiry asking for a total when you have online reservations is most likely a scam, esp from overseas

anything worded out of the ordinary like this...I would just forget about it. People who really want to come and stay with you will be much more likely to send you a "for a better word" Homey message...This one just sounds hokey. Don't reply. But do share with bandb.com because they need to know scam/spammers are using their site.

I'm just surprised that this came from bb.com These scammers are now taking time to go to individual listings. They're getting better at what they do and pretty soon they'll get the language they need accurate. Scary

I'm just surprised that this came from bb.com These scammers are now taking time to go to individual listings. They're getting better at what they do and pretty soon they'll get the language they need accurate. Scary.
Didn't bbonline do something to their site with email links???? It seemed different some time back when I was looking there. ?????

I received the same email from "Simon Webb from London" via B&B.com;
I am in Eugene OR.
I was going to reply, but it sounded fishy to me, too.
We have had Craig's list scams before on vacation rental properties and even had several bogus "cashiers checks" delivered.
I'd hate for scammers to start to bug the B&B innkeepers

I am in Eugene OR.
We have had Craig's list scams before on vacation rental properties and even had several bogus "cashiers checks" delivered.
I'd hate for scammers to start to bug the B&B innkeepers.
Tom said:
I'd hate for scammers to start to bug the B&B innkeepers
Too late!!!
cry_smile.gif

and
welcome.gif

Welcome Tom!
Innkeepers have been scammed and spammed from the beginning of time (in this case the internet).
welcome.gif

I am in Eugene OR.
I'd hate for scammers to start to bug the B&B innkeepers.
WV says welcome.

Welcome Tom!
Innkeepers have been scammed and spammed from the beginning of time (in this case the internet).
welcome.gif
Thanks for the welcome.
We opened two month ago and are on the learning curve. Posts on this site are helpful.
We do insist on credit cards and no checks, but I'm sure we will run into a bit of trouble now and then.

I just received this from bb.com
[FONT= 'Verdana']Thank you for your email.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana'] [/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana']We are aware of these types of scams and unfortunately, they have been circulating via our site. I've provided an example of one such scam below:[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana']'Good day Sir/Madam, I am Mr. Gary Adams of Reagan agency, London. I need to book reservation with you for delegates coming from London for a summit in Big horn, Wyoming. The retreat will start by 1st day of November-14th of November I need to know what you have available within that time range for their accommodation, as the delegates who will be six(6)in number will stay for only a week. Do get back to me quickly, as we don't have much time with us. Thank you and have a nice day. Yours faithfully, Gary A +447040105007'[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana']Once you confirm that you have the availability, the “guest” will tell you they are sending a cashier's check. The check will be over the total amount required for their stay, and they will request that you send the remainder back to them. This is the crux of the scam.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana']While it's not possible to prevent 100% of these types of emails (the more complex the technology becomes to filter these messages, the more creative those who perpetrate such actions become), we are looking at ways – both immediately and ongoing – to minimize this nuisance. For instance, we recently implemented a verification process to ensure that spam robots are not able to send reservation requests through our site.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Verdana']In the meantime, please disregard suspicious inquiries of this type. If you have a question as to the validity of an inquiry, please let us know and we will look into the matter.[/FONT]

Back