Is this an issue at breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kid gloves comin' off.
If you operate breakfast like a restaurant seat the people. Put a sign there that says "Please wait to be seated."
People are sheep, they gravitate here and there for no apparent reason, or simple reasons like mine:
  • not wanting to face a wall (me).
  • wanting more space at the table to read or open a paper (me).
  • wanting to look out (me).
  • wanting to watch the interaction in the kitchen (me).
  • not wanting to have my back to the door (me).
  • not wanting to be near the door (me)
  • not wanting to be near the kitchen (me)
These are simple reasons I would choose where I choose to sit, everyone has their own. You say at check in come here for breakfast betwn 8 and 9 or whatever, I am here. Feed me.
Tell them where to sit. Or don't and let them sit where they want to sit. Seat the dang people..
When I can I do but I can't with the upstairs breakfast people (ie the non supposed to sit there people) as they are on a different floor (our breakfast room is in the basement) but I dash up and down on those days and make sure no one else is sat there. Otherwise I try and say sit here and point as (and I am sure you all will agree with me) they always try and sit on dirty tables even if there are 3 made up they will sit on the only dirty one GRRR.

Kid gloves comin' off.
If you operate breakfast like a restaurant seat the people. Put a sign there that says "Please wait to be seated."
People are sheep, they gravitate here and there for no apparent reason, or simple reasons like mine:
These are simple reasons I would choose where I choose to sit, everyone has their own. You say at check in come here for breakfast betwn 8 and 9 or whatever, I am here. Feed me.
Tell them where to sit. Or don't and let them sit where they want to sit. Seat the dang people..
That is a perfect solution for open seating times with plenty of folks potentially arriving at the same time, if you've been having trouble with people actually sitting where they want to sit.
Let them know that you will be seating them for breakfast so that all guests can be accommodated comfortably.
I like it....the K.I.S.S. method of innkeeping!

Kid gloves comin' off.
When I can I do but I can't with the upstairs breakfast people (ie the non supposed to sit there people) as they are on a different floor (our breakfast room is in the basement) but I dash up and down on those days and make sure no one else is sat there. Otherwise I try and say sit here and point as (and I am sure you all will agree with me) they always try and sit on dirty tables even if there are 3 made up they will sit on the only dirty one GRRR.
Not sure your breakfast table layout, but we solved that issue by using table cards (same ones restaurants use that say (RESERVED) and we printed the name of the rooms on them. As guests come down, they see there room name on an assigned table and "Bobs your uncle"

I think you all are giving people too much credit for thinking, they don't think. They don't know the layout they don't know anything other than they are there right now and ready to eat.
I guess I am the odd man out on this it seems overly simple to me, but I have one table and two seatings majority of the time. Not a SPAN when "the kitchen is open.".
I know you would think people would be able to follow HUGE signs that say breakfast room this way and an arrow. I had one chap try and get into the utility room becuase the sign that said breakfast room this way and an arrow to the side was on the door! DUH Also when people check in we say breakfast times ie 7.30 till 9.30 but they try and get in whenever luckily I can lock the door at the top of the stairs so they can't get in till I let them in so I can sit and finish me cup of tea before I let in the hoards for their food.

The only time we have trouble is if we have say a family of five for example but then we put tables together. I hate people who are two and sit on a table for 4 so that when the table comes they have no where to sit. One other problem we have is our breakfast room is in the basement (14 steps) so for people with mobility problems we do upstairs breakfast and if I don't put a name tag on that table everyone tries to sit on it. where they think all the other guests but them sit is a mystry to me..
The only time we have trouble is if we have say a family of five for example but then we put tables together. I hate people who are two and sit on a table for 4 so that when the table comes they have no where to sit. One other problem we have is our breakfast room is in the basement (14 steps) so for people with mobility problems we do upstairs breakfast and if I don't put a name tag on that table everyone tries to sit on it. where they think all the other guests but them sit is a mystry to me.
We have had many 3's over the past couple of weeks (two parents plus child), so we move a table out and put an extra sitting on it so they can dine together. FOUR TIMES over these two weeks couples have come down to breakfast and sat at the table made up for 3. And you have to "Sorry, would you mind using one of the other tables so the family can site together".
Isn't it obvious!!!! It's not like that table is the only one near a window or anything special like that.
I've had the opposite...family of 3 sit at table for 2 when it is 'oblivious' that the table is set for 3. I asked, 'Will your son be joining you for breakfast?' They looked at me like I was an idiot, 'Of course.' Would you like to sit at the table for 3? No, they'd rather sit at this table and couldn't I just move the place setting and the chair over?
Yes, of course I can do that, but this particular family had some peculiar ideas about how we ran things and I was getting a little peeved.
As in, 'I suppose you have to cook everything at night and then just nuke it in the morning.' This after watching Gomez doing actual cooking and telling me she wasn't ready to eat yet so he could stop cooking. REALLY? And what about all those other people who are sitting down waiting? It was like she didn't see anyone else at all.

I think you all are giving people too much credit for thinking, they don't think. They don't know the layout they don't know anything other than they are there right now and ready to eat.
I guess I am the odd man out on this it seems overly simple to me, but I have one table and two seatings majority of the time. Not a SPAN when "the kitchen is open.".
I know you would think people would be able to follow HUGE signs that say breakfast room this way and an arrow. I had one chap try and get into the utility room becuase the sign that said breakfast room this way and an arrow to the side was on the door! DUH Also when people check in we say breakfast times ie 7.30 till 9.30 but they try and get in whenever luckily I can lock the door at the top of the stairs so they can't get in till I let them in so I can sit and finish me cup of tea before I let in the hoards for their food.
It's tough on me to try to set the tables when everyone is seated long before brekkie starts. Sometimes they have gone thru 3 pots of coffee before I get to the dining room. They've spread all their stuff out on the tables and then I have to start moving things to put out the silverware.
Then, of course, because they've had 3-4 cups of coffee, they all get up and head for their rooms for the bathroom just as I'm ready to start serving! (Or, they ask for the bathroom 'on this floor'. No sirree Bob, not after the story on here awhile ago about the bathroom off the dining room being used!)
Just part of having people in the house.

Kid gloves comin' off.
Not sure your breakfast table layout, but we solved that issue by using table cards (same ones restaurants use that say (RESERVED) and we printed the name of the rooms on them. As guests come down, they see there room name on an assigned table and "Bobs your uncle"
Boomer said:
Great idea....................bet you reuse the cards over and over each day.
and for multiple night guests......you change the seating in the room ?

I like Boomer's idea. But Mort, do you have enough tables (seatings) to serve all your guests at the same time?
If I remember correctly your self-serve coffee area is in/near the dining area, right? Do you allow them to bring the coffee into the living room? Is it close by? This does not solve your revolving family breakfast delima but it may help rid yourself of those early morning place holds, drinking their coffee & reading all while you are in need of setting the tables. - Just throwing ideas at ya!
We have one large communal table which I set the night before. Guests drink their early coffee on the 2nd floor balcony, front veranda or in our common area. Very, very few have sat at our table that early. - The table being set does limit that I think.
We have had these revolving families here as well - especially lately..maybe a new trend? But having one large table does not present the same issues you are having. If they do not come down all together, they may not get to sit together at breakfast... They can see the set up when they check in!

I like Boomer's idea. But Mort, do you have enough tables (seatings) to serve all your guests at the same time?
If I remember correctly your self-serve coffee area is in/near the dining area, right? Do you allow them to bring the coffee into the living room? Is it close by? This does not solve your revolving family breakfast delima but it may help rid yourself of those early morning place holds, drinking their coffee & reading all while you are in need of setting the tables. - Just throwing ideas at ya!
We have one large communal table which I set the night before. Guests drink their early coffee on the 2nd floor balcony, front veranda or in our common area. Very, very few have sat at our table that early. - The table being set does limit that I think.
We have had these revolving families here as well - especially lately..maybe a new trend? But having one large table does not present the same issues you are having. If they do not come down all together, they may not get to sit together at breakfast... They can see the set up when they check in!.
Everything is close by! They want to look out the window (BIG windows in dining room). Plus, they are ready to eat. How come I'm not there to serve them??? I get, 'Nice of you to join us!' when I 'show up for work' at 7:50!
Everyone could gather in the living room. Most people who are just sitting will get up when they realize others want to eat.
Some go sit on the porch. But most of them want to be where they can feel like they are part of the conversation without having to talk.

We have had these revolving families here as well - especially lately..maybe a new trend? But having one large table does not present the same issues you are having. If they do not come down all together, they may not get to sit together at breakfast... They can see the set up when they check in!.
Everything is close by! They want to look out the window (BIG windows in dining room). Plus, they are ready to eat. How come I'm not there to serve them??? I get, 'Nice of you to join us!' when I 'show up for work' at 7:50!
Everyone could gather in the living room. Most people who are just sitting will get up when they realize others want to eat.
Some go sit on the porch. But most of them want to be where they can feel like they are part of the conversation without having to talk.
Morticia said:
So if you do not like the assigned breakfast time idea....here is another you will dislike as well....
Ok, so here is the dreaded answer we all hate... you may need a sign.
sad_smile.gif
Maybe only needed when you are full. It could provide a reminder of breakfast hours - (gee, I can't believe people say that to you!) and state that due to a full house, we request the entire party to be together at the time of seating. - Restaurants do this during busy periods...

It's tough on me to try to set the tables when everyone is seated long before brekkie starts. Sometimes they have gone thru 3 pots of coffee before I get to the dining room. They've spread all their stuff out on the tables and then I have to start moving things to put out the silverware.
Then, of course, because they've had 3-4 cups of coffee, they all get up and head for their rooms for the bathroom just as I'm ready to start serving! (Or, they ask for the bathroom 'on this floor'. No sirree Bob, not after the story on here awhile ago about the bathroom off the dining room being used!)
Just part of having people in the house.
We set ours the night before, I struggled with this because it does take away from table space if others want to use it, but at least during the nice weather there is plenty of outdoor table space for using their computer, reading the paper, etc. It's so nice not to have to shoo people in the morning, and move all their stuff from the tables. It took a lot of stress out of my mornings.

The only time we have trouble is if we have say a family of five for example but then we put tables together. I hate people who are two and sit on a table for 4 so that when the table comes they have no where to sit. One other problem we have is our breakfast room is in the basement (14 steps) so for people with mobility problems we do upstairs breakfast and if I don't put a name tag on that table everyone tries to sit on it. where they think all the other guests but them sit is a mystry to me..
The only time we have trouble is if we have say a family of five for example but then we put tables together. I hate people who are two and sit on a table for 4 so that when the table comes they have no where to sit. One other problem we have is our breakfast room is in the basement (14 steps) so for people with mobility problems we do upstairs breakfast and if I don't put a name tag on that table everyone tries to sit on it. where they think all the other guests but them sit is a mystry to me.
We have had many 3's over the past couple of weeks (two parents plus child), so we move a table out and put an extra sitting on it so they can dine together. FOUR TIMES over these two weeks couples have come down to breakfast and sat at the table made up for 3. And you have to "Sorry, would you mind using one of the other tables so the family can site together".
Isn't it obvious!!!! It's not like that table is the only one near a window or anything special like that.
Did any of you ever think about using "reserved" signs or putting "Reserved for Smith party" on a card on the tables you have set up for your special sized groups? Both of these things work well for us.
Yvonne Martin
White Oak Inn, Ohio

Morticia said:
So if you do not like the assigned breakfast time idea....here is another you will dislike as well....
Ok, so here is the dreaded answer we all hate... you may need a sign.
sad_smile.gif
Maybe only needed when you are full. It could provide a reminder of breakfast hours - (gee, I can't believe people say that to you!) and state that due to a full house, we request the entire party to be together at the time of seating. - Restaurants do this during busy periods...
Interesting. We actually DO state the time of breakfast right on the board that tells them what they're getting. However, when full I will keep in mind the idea that the ENTIrE party must be present to be seated AND, if it is a large party, they MUST ALL be seated by 9 AM. (Otherwise they will all come at 9:30 and then we're still cooking & serving at 10, an absolute no no around here.)

Did any of you ever think about using "reserved" signs or putting "Reserved for Smith party" on a card on the tables you have set up for your special sized groups? Both of these things work well for us.
Yvonne Martin
White Oak Inn, Ohio
We don't have enough tables. If I put out 'reserved' signs and then they NEVER showed for brekkie, other guests have had to shuffle thru and wait for the no-shows.

When guests are here as a group we feed them all together. I ask them before they go to bed what time they want to have breakfast and that's when I serve them. If some are down earlier they can have coffee and read the newspaper and wait. If someone comes down late and breakfast is well under way, oh well. Also, when it's a group I will usually serve the main course family style and put it right on the table. Then the stragglers can help themselves when they finally sit down.

Kid gloves comin' off.
Boomer said:
Great idea....................bet you reuse the cards over and over each day.
and for multiple night guests......you change the seating in the room ?
Actually the multi night guests usually prefer the same table, so we sort of assing a room name to a table, same table each day - might not work for some, but so far is works here

Back