Is This Really What It's Come To?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
I received this in a google alert this morning:
Resort offers $19 room, no bed
A luxury resort in San Diego is offering rooms for $19 a night _ if you don’t mind sleeping in a tent.
The Ran c ho Bern ardo In n boasts three pools, a spa and golf course. It typically charges more than $200 a room.
But business is down. So from Aug. 16 to 31, guests can get a ``Survivor Package’’ that charges them less for each amenity they give up.
For $19, guests give up breakfast, air conditioning, lights, sheets and even the bed. Staff will remove the mattress and headboard and leave a small tent instead.
Oh, and bring your own toilet paper.
General manager Jo hn Ga te s says the hotel hopes people who try the promotion will return at full price.

Saw it about a week ago on the CBS Evening News. I'm betting it brings them nothing but trouble. They were counting on guests spending the money they saved on the room instead on golfing, spa treatments and such. I'm willing to bet they'll be sorry.

Saw it about a week ago on the CBS Evening News. I'm betting it brings them nothing but trouble. They were counting on guests spending the money they saved on the room instead on golfing, spa treatments and such. I'm willing to bet they'll be sorry..
I agree with you. Only trouble will come out of this. I can't imagine someone who would stay overnight in a tent without the least bit of comfort at a resort would ever be the same who would come back and pay full price for anything.

They will probably get the no-tell motel crowd - IF they get anyone. Even the no-tells want a bed!
I would think it would cost them more in man-hours to remove and replace the bed AND set up the tent than the $19 room rate.

Uh I think it is worth it to use the pool and spa and golf there!! I would pay $19 a night to sleep on the floor of the recently renovated for 25 million dollar resort (as long as i didn't have a CLOWN logo sewn on my shirt or something).
I mean that is what I call campin'! You pay more than that to pitch a tent in the dirt at a KOA!
Of course they are asking for more in cleaning than if they gave the rooms away for free with beds and TP!

Saw it about a week ago on the CBS Evening News. I'm betting it brings them nothing but trouble. They were counting on guests spending the money they saved on the room instead on golfing, spa treatments and such. I'm willing to bet they'll be sorry..
I agree with you. Only trouble will come out of this. I can't imagine someone who would stay overnight in a tent without the least bit of comfort at a resort would ever be the same who would come back and pay full price for anything.
Breakfast Diva said:
wihtout the least bit of Comfort? A/C, Carpeting, indoor toilets and showers...golf. swimming pools, high end restaurants...sounds like my kind of camping!

Breakfast Diva said:
wihtout the least bit of Comfort? A/C, Carpeting, indoor toilets and showers...golf. swimming pools, high end restaurants...sounds like my kind of camping!
Your Package Includes:
[tr]
horzbar.gif

• Deluxe accommodations
• Breakfast for two

$219 per night*

OR...

• $199 without breakfast
• $179 without honor bar
• $159 without A/C or heat
• $139 without pillows
• $109 without sheets
• $89 without lights
• $59 without linens
• $39 without toiletries
• $19 without bed

Limited Availabilty [/td] [/tr] [/table]
*Some restrictions and black out dates apply. Resort fee will apply. Available August 16 - September 17, 2009.

This doesn't include any spa or golf. Everything is extra. You can play golf for $259 Mon-Thurs $349 weekends.

transparent.gif

Oh yeah...for sure I would do that...NOT!!! They are asking for trouble on this one. I doubt they get anyone from this. Give me a break! Here is what their special says...I doubt anyone would do this. This has to be their idea of a joke. HA HA
*Some restrictions and black out dates apply. Resort fee will apply. And how much is the resort fee???[/h3]

Breakfast Diva said:
Your Package Includes:
[tr]
horzbar.gif

• Deluxe accommodations
• Breakfast for two

$219 per night*

OR...

• $199 without breakfast
• $179 without honor bar
• $159 without A/C or heat
• $139 without pillows
• $109 without sheets
• $89 without lights
• $59 without linens
• $39 without toiletries
• $19 without bed

Limited Availabilty [/td] [/tr] [/table]
*Some restrictions and black out dates apply. Resort fee will apply. Available August 16 - September 17, 2009.

This doesn't include any spa or golf. Everything is extra. You can play golf for $259 Mon-Thurs $349 weekends.

transparent.gif
When guests ask how much we will take off if they don't eat breakfast, we all say, 'Breakfast is complimentary.' Now will we have to deal with a list like this as well? Will guests ask us to take off $x because they bring their own sheets, towels and pillows?

advertising gimmick,
it's all over the internet.
end of august, the survivor special ends
and lots of people will have seen the beautiful pictures ... golf, pool, spa. will be interesting to learn how many people booked at the survivor rate. and who paid to golf, swim, etc.

advertising gimmick,
it's all over the internet.
end of august, the survivor special ends
and lots of people will have seen the beautiful pictures ... golf, pool, spa. will be interesting to learn how many people booked at the survivor rate. and who paid to golf, swim, etc..
that's it in a nut shell

Good for them! Free advertising. Why is everyone bothered by it? It is a golf resort. Any good ideas that come from it - yes! Maybe I will have a NO B in the BnB and get in the news! Or no BB in the BnB! Or no BB&T in the BnB
tounge_smile.gif

i'm always curious about how these things turn out.
when i worked retail, we'd have 'loss leaders' ... selling something for a ridiculously low price (below cost) in hopes of selling other things and getting customers. sometimes it paid off very well, sometimes not.

Breakfast Diva said:
Sorry Joe, no A/C, no lights. Wonder how they would feel about a campfire???!!! :)

I don't know, maybe I'm not a typical consumer. If I saw or heard the survivors special if I were just a regular consumer, I would think that the resort is in deep trouble. I would look at it as a negative advertisement, not a positive one. There's nothing wrong with running specials, but if they want to keep their image as a luxury resort, I don't think this is the way to do it.

Breakfast Diva said:
Sorry Joe, no A/C, no lights. Wonder how they would feel about a campfire???!!! :)
Little Blue said:
San Diego? It was a campfire. That was probably what the remodel was, that area - right there- burned two years ago. S'mores anyone?

Breakfast Diva said:
Little Blue said:
Bring a lantern isn't that what you do when you camp? No a/c camping either.

I don't know, maybe I'm not a typical consumer. If I saw or heard the survivors special if I were just a regular consumer, I would think that the resort is in deep trouble. I would look at it as a negative advertisement, not a positive one. There's nothing wrong with running specials, but if they want to keep their image as a luxury resort, I don't think this is the way to do it..
Breakfast Diva said:
I don't know, maybe I'm not a typical consumer. If I saw or heard the survivors special if I were just a regular consumer, I would think that the resort is in deep trouble. I would look at it as a negative advertisement, not a positive one. There's nothing wrong with running specials, but if they want to keep their image as a luxury resort, I don't think this is the way to do it.
Well so far I am the only one here looking at the positive side of it, not the negative. Some on this forum still offer shared baths...am I missing something? There is one here who offers portapotties as their guests "rough it" at a lot more than $19 a night. Okay so take out the term RESORT and insert ECOLODGE then we can say they are saving the planet by not washing linens, wasting electricity on lighting and offering a/c.
teeth_smile.gif
Isn't that the green thing to do?
Yes my comments are tongue in cheek.

I don't know, maybe I'm not a typical consumer. If I saw or heard the survivors special if I were just a regular consumer, I would think that the resort is in deep trouble. I would look at it as a negative advertisement, not a positive one. There's nothing wrong with running specials, but if they want to keep their image as a luxury resort, I don't think this is the way to do it..
I am with you on this. There IS no class here and I would think the people who could afford it would now look elsewhere.
When I worked at the Regency Hyatt House O'Hare, employees were not permitted in the hotel when they were not working - not in the restaurant, the bar, the lounge, no where. It simply would not do for a guest to see one of the housekeeping maids sitting at the next table in the dining room. This was an upscale hotel and people staying there needed to feel better than us working people (I worked in the computer room and no one would see me but I still could not go to see one of the headliners in the lounge). They could afford to stay, eat, and drink there. How could we afford to do that on our wages and our lowly status?

Breakfast Diva said:
Well so far I am the only one here looking at the positive side of it, not the negative. Some on this forum still offer shared baths...am I missing something? There is one here who offers portapotties as their guests "rough it" at a lot more than $19 a night. Okay so take out the term RESORT and insert ECOLODGE then we can say they are saving the planet by not washing linens, wasting electricity on lighting and offering a/c.
teeth_smile.gif
Isn't that the green thing to do?
Yes my comments are tongue in cheek.
Some on this forum still offer shared baths...am I missing something?
Yes, I think you are. This is supposed to be a high-class expensive resort and people have mental images of what a high-class resort should offer.
I have A shared bath but I also tell everyone it is a shared and am willing to not rent the third room if they want it as a private - at the private bath rate of course. As for the porta-potty, they bill themselves as the type of facility where one would expect that or an outhouse even - the save the planet crowd will put themselves through all sorts of discomfort for a few days or a week to be able to say they were saving the planet - and pay royally to do it.
Those going to a posh resort are paying for the priviledge of being able to say they stayed there. It loses some of the shine if any shmuck can say he stayed there - because who will ever admit they did it on the survival special rate. There is no cool to that. If they can say they stayed there for $200 when the going rate is $500 THAT they will brag about because now they had the resort where they wanted them - at MY price. Just my opinion.

Back