Is this Spam?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyswan

Reaction score
Inn-Mates - we received this today.... it felt like spam to me and once I did a search, sure enough I found others have received this letter too. Anyone else get this one?
"Dear Sir/Madam
I'm sorry to disturb you so abrupt. We are a domain name registration service company in Asia,
On 30th July. we received a formal application submitted by Mr. John Zhang who wanted to use the keyword "greyswaninn" to register the Internet Brand and with suffix such as .cn /.com.cn /.net.cn/.hk/.asia/ domain names.
After our initial examination, we found that these domain names to be applied for registration are same as your domain name and trademark. We aren't sure whether you have any relation with him. Because these domain names would produce possible dispute, now we have hold down his registration, but if we do not get your company's an reply in the next 5 working days, we will approve his application
As authorized anti-cybersquatting organization we hereby suspect Mr. John Zhang is a domain investor. so we need you to attach importance to this issue.
In order to handle this issue better, Please contact us by Fax ,Telephone or Email as soon as possible.
Yours sincerely         2010-8-2
Sophia
Oversea Marketing Manager"

If you have a problem with someone registering those names, I would wait until they do so, then send them a legal looking letter telling them to forfeit(sp?) or stop using the name as it is in violation of your copyright.
I don't remember what domain it was for but many years ago I received a letter. Seemed legit so I stopped use of the domain.
Otherwise, yeah, looks like spam.

My guess is they want you to pay to protect your product. Did they tell you what domain registration service they were?

This is spam merged with a healthy dose of fishing.

If you have a problem with someone registering those names, I would wait until they do so, then send them a legal looking letter telling them to forfeit(sp?) or stop using the name as it is in violation of your copyright.
I don't remember what domain it was for but many years ago I received a letter. Seemed legit so I stopped use of the domain.
Otherwise, yeah, looks like spam..
send them a legal looking letter
Worst thing you can do is respond!

Otherwise, yeah, looks like spam..
I meant to contact the person/company who does register it.. (if you think it will be a problem with your copyright/marketing, etc...) otherwise, leave it alone..
I would not respond to that email in a million years though. I just meant, in a real situation, not a spam situation.
catlady said:

There were a lot of this emails circulating here in the UK a couple of years ago.
Bin it.

Back