Is this too hard to say?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGate

Reaction score
I'm still in the process of envisioning, and I've decided I want to merge my two great interests, innkeeping and genealogy, and name the rooms in my (future) inn after my great-grandparents. Each room would be decorated to reflect the personality and heritage of one individual, so I would have "Billy's Room", "Annie's Room", "Madie's Room", etc. Then it occurred to me that I could call it "My Grandparents' Place."
Question: is it too hard to say "My grandparents' place bed and breakfast"?
Question 2: does it sound like an assisted living facility?

Sounds like I would be sleeping on an air mattress in the living room.
tounge_smile.gif

(That is a good thought for me right now, I just said goodbye to my Grandpa in June)

Yes, too hard to say and too hard to understand. Great sentiment, tho. Like JBJ, I'd like to be able to sleep at my grandparents' again.
So, you need to work on the idea because it is obvious you are passionate about it. Something that plays off 'going home' maybe? The Home Place B&B?
Personally, if I were to hear anything that referenced grandparents, I would think it would be too overdone, stuffy, antique-y, you know what I mean? You could go with the their last names, tho. 'The Smith-Jones B&B'. Altho, you might have more names than you could squeeze onto the sign!

Yes, too hard to say and too hard to understand. Great sentiment, tho. Like JBJ, I'd like to be able to sleep at my grandparents' again.
So, you need to work on the idea because it is obvious you are passionate about it. Something that plays off 'going home' maybe? The Home Place B&B?
Personally, if I were to hear anything that referenced grandparents, I would think it would be too overdone, stuffy, antique-y, you know what I mean? You could go with the their last names, tho. 'The Smith-Jones B&B'. Altho, you might have more names than you could squeeze onto the sign!.
Bree said:
Personally, if I were to hear anything that referenced grandparents, I would think it would be too overdone, stuffy, antique-y, you know what I mean? You could go with the their last names, tho. 'The Smith-Jones B&B'. Altho, you might have more names than you could squeeze onto the sign!
I want to specifically avoid the antique-y image. That's not what I'm after at all, but that is what I was afraid people would think. And yes, there would be too many names if I listed them all. I'll keep working on it. Something will come to me; it always does.

Yes, assisted living place. Or, a place that has lots of doilies and smells like Vicks Vapo Rub. haha! Seriously, a family name would be better I think.

Yes, assisted living place. Or, a place that has lots of doilies and smells like Vicks Vapo Rub. haha! Seriously, a family name would be better I think..
No doilies!!!!! Vaporub does conjure up pleasant memories of my mother, tho . . . :)
Too many family names to make an inn name out of them. Maybe "The Inn on Ancestor Ridge" LOL

Yes, assisted living place. Or, a place that has lots of doilies and smells like Vicks Vapo Rub. haha! Seriously, a family name would be better I think..
No doilies!!!!! Vaporub does conjure up pleasant memories of my mother, tho . . . :)
Too many family names to make an inn name out of them. Maybe "The Inn on Ancestor Ridge" LOL
We were able to finish our house with some money that I inherited from my mother. We named the inn after a property that was owned by her Aunt and was sold and torn down for a development in the late 1980s. Then, we have a couple of rooms named after our mothers' maiden names. That's our nod to family :)

We were able to finish our house with some money that I inherited from my mother. We named the inn after a property that was owned by her Aunt and was sold and torn down for a development in the late 1980s. Then, we have a couple of rooms named after our mothers' maiden names. That's our nod to family :)
Samster said:
Thank you for explaining that. I had no idea.

Samster said:
Thank you for explaining that. I had no idea.
There's a little bit about where the name came from on our "About the Inn" page on the web site. The name of the other house was actually spelled differently but we figured that no one would be able to spell it that way
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

How about: Heritage House.
ProudTexan said:
How about: Heritage House
It's appropriate to what I'm trying to convey. I like it, but I think it sounds like a furniture store.
IronGate said:
ProudTexan said:
How about: Heritage House
It's appropriate to what I'm trying to convey. I like it, but I think it sounds like a furniture store.
Heritage House Bed and Breakfast doesn't

Since we are just pitching ideas, how about Welcome Home Bed & Breakfast

Since we are just pitching ideas, how about Welcome Home Bed & Breakfast.
gillumhouse said:
Since we are just pitching ideas, how about Welcome Home Bed & Breakfast
That sounds sweet. For me, I need to know more background to come up with ideas...family names, history, something of significance to CLICK on a name. It's a lot of fun. Stress for Irongate, but fun for us.

Family Tree B&B?.
swirt said:
Family Tree B&B?
That's cool! Lends itself to some good logo ideas, too. Ever heard of the Charter Oak? Part of my family's story . . .
edit: and, wow, why didn't I think of that?
Had to go Google Charter Oak. Cool.
Just be careful to not overdo the family thing. Some people just want to get away and stay some place nice. They may not give a rip about knowing the generations of people who lived and died in a place. The best way to keep them interested is to not mention too much, then they might ask questions on their own. (the best lessons are teachable moments where people ask to learn, as opposed to having the history lesson thrust upon them. ) My suggestion (personal preference) is no old photos/portraits of people in the bedrooms ... too creepy. ;)

Family Tree B&B?.
swirt said:
Family Tree B&B?
That's cool! Lends itself to some good logo ideas, too. Ever heard of the Charter Oak? Part of my family's story . . .
edit: and, wow, why didn't I think of that?
Just be careful to not overdo the family thing. Some people just want to get away and stay some place nice. They may not give a rip about knowing the generations of people who lived and died in a place. The best way to keep them interested is to not mention too much, then they might ask questions on their own. (the best lessons are teachable moments where people ask to learn, as opposed to having the history lesson thrust upon them. ) My suggestion (personal preference) is no old photos/portraits of people in the bedrooms ... too creepy. ;)
swirt said:
I agree. I lean more toward putting in landscape paintings or photographs of places that meant something to the person. If a guest asks about the seascape in Billy's room, I can explain it is the view from the farm where Billy grew up in County Down, and that's the ocean he crossed as a teenage stowaway on his way to America. If the guest doesn't comment on it, it's still a pretty picture that adds to the decor. It means something to me, and that's what's most important.

Is this your old family home? If so it might be appropriate, but if you are just doing it to come up with a gimimck..in my mind..it is a turn off to me. I don't care if your uncle or grandmother slept in the room unless say they were George Washington or famous. And I certainly don't want my room filled with family memoriabilia. I don't want to stay in a museum. I have stayed in some Victorian inns that were so filled with "fru fru" that there was no where to put my things. I hated it. even though it was lovely to look at when you walked in the room after that it got real old.
Just give me a nice traditional room with comfortable bed, sitting area, good lighting for reading and doing my makeup in the bathroom and I will be happy and I think other guest will as well.
You asked..and you go my personal opinion:)
Also, check to see if your state requires you to REGISTER a name...there may be some other in the area with same or similar and you don't want that.

Back