Is this too hard to say?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Family Tree B&B?.
swirt said:
Family Tree B&B?
That's cool! Lends itself to some good logo ideas, too. Ever heard of the Charter Oak? Part of my family's story . . .
edit: and, wow, why didn't I think of that?
Had to go Google Charter Oak. Cool.
Just be careful to not overdo the family thing. Some people just want to get away and stay some place nice. They may not give a rip about knowing the generations of people who lived and died in a place. The best way to keep them interested is to not mention too much, then they might ask questions on their own. (the best lessons are teachable moments where people ask to learn, as opposed to having the history lesson thrust upon them. ) My suggestion (personal preference) is no old photos/portraits of people in the bedrooms ... too creepy. ;)
swirt said:
Just be careful to not overdo the family thing. Some people just want to get away and stay some place nice. They may not give a rip about knowing the generations of people who lived and died in a place. The best way to keep them interested is to not mention too much, then they might ask questions on their own. (the best lessons are teachable moments where people ask to learn, as opposed to having the history lesson thrust upon them. ) My suggestion (personal preference) is no old photos/portraits of people in the bedrooms ... too creepy. ;)
I agree. I lean more toward putting in landscape paintings or photographs of places that meant something to the person. If a guest asks about the seascape in Billy's room, I can explain it is the view from the farm where Billy grew up in County Down, and that's the ocean he crossed as a teenage stowaway on his way to America. If the guest doesn't comment on it, it's still a pretty picture that adds to the decor. It means something to me, and that's what's most important.
IronGate said:
I agree. I lean more toward putting in landscape paintings or photographs of places that meant something to the person. If a guest asks about the seascape in Billy's room, I can explain it is the view from the farm where Billy grew up in County Down, and that's the ocean he crossed as a teenage stowaway on his way to America. If the guest doesn't comment on it, it's still a pretty picture that adds to the decor. It means something to me, and that's what's most important.
I have a short blurb in the front of the guest room books about why the room has the name it does. Some guests read it, some don't. Some are fascinated, some have asked to change rooms because of the story, some don't care at all.

Family Tree B&B?.
swirt said:
Family Tree B&B?
That's cool! Lends itself to some good logo ideas, too. Ever heard of the Charter Oak? Part of my family's story . . .
swirt said:
IronGate said:
I have a short blurb in the front of the guest room books about why the room has the name it does. Some guests read it, some don't. Some are fascinated, some have asked to change rooms because of the story, some don't care at all.
I like the guest book idea. I know it takes all kinds, but my goodness, what kind of stories would compel people to want to change rooms?

Is this your old family home? If so it might be appropriate, but if you are just doing it to come up with a gimimck..in my mind..it is a turn off to me. I don't care if your uncle or grandmother slept in the room unless say they were George Washington or famous. And I certainly don't want my room filled with family memoriabilia. I don't want to stay in a museum. I have stayed in some Victorian inns that were so filled with "fru fru" that there was no where to put my things. I hated it. even though it was lovely to look at when you walked in the room after that it got real old.
Just give me a nice traditional room with comfortable bed, sitting area, good lighting for reading and doing my makeup in the bathroom and I will be happy and I think other guest will as well.
You asked..and you go my personal opinion:)
Also, check to see if your state requires you to REGISTER a name...there may be some other in the area with same or similar and you don't want that..
You are absolutely right. The last thing I want to do is make the place into a museum, and I certainly don't want tons of stuff all over. I am not trying to recreate their bedrooms, and fill them up with possessions. It's the spirit I'm going for. I don't want guests to feel like they are intruding on personal space, or that someone had to "give up" his room for company! More than anything, the personality will guide the decorating of the room through symbolism. Unless you, the guest, ask, you'll never know that Annie's room is painted green and has two iron beds because she was fiercely proud of her Irish heritage, her steel-mill-working father, and was married twice. If you don't ask (or read the guest book and discern the answer), you'll just know that your room is as comfortable -- and as neutral -- as I can make it.

Family Tree B&B?.
swirt said:
Family Tree B&B?
swirt said:
IronGate said:
I like the guest book idea. I know it takes all kinds, but my goodness, what kind of stories would compel people to want to change rooms?
<sarcasm>
  • Uncle Gino's room, he was a rat taxidermist
  • Great Aunt Lucy the axe murderer
  • Great Great Grandfather Charlie, known for being the stinkiest man in town for two decades
</sarcasm>
Ghost stories I presume.

Family Tree B&B?.
swirt said:
Family Tree B&B?
swirt said:
IronGate said:
<sarcasm>
  • Uncle Gino's room, he was a rat taxidermist
  • Great Aunt Lucy the axe murderer
  • Great Great Grandfather Charlie, known for being the stinkiest man in town for two decades
</sarcasm>
Ghost stories I presume.
Well, if they're gonna be babies about it . . . . ;)

Is this your old family home? If so it might be appropriate, but if you are just doing it to come up with a gimimck..in my mind..it is a turn off to me. I don't care if your uncle or grandmother slept in the room unless say they were George Washington or famous. And I certainly don't want my room filled with family memoriabilia. I don't want to stay in a museum. I have stayed in some Victorian inns that were so filled with "fru fru" that there was no where to put my things. I hated it. even though it was lovely to look at when you walked in the room after that it got real old.
Just give me a nice traditional room with comfortable bed, sitting area, good lighting for reading and doing my makeup in the bathroom and I will be happy and I think other guest will as well.
You asked..and you go my personal opinion:)
Also, check to see if your state requires you to REGISTER a name...there may be some other in the area with same or similar and you don't want that..
You are absolutely right. The last thing I want to do is make the place into a museum, and I certainly don't want tons of stuff all over. I am not trying to recreate their bedrooms, and fill them up with possessions. It's the spirit I'm going for. I don't want guests to feel like they are intruding on personal space, or that someone had to "give up" his room for company! More than anything, the personality will guide the decorating of the room through symbolism. Unless you, the guest, ask, you'll never know that Annie's room is painted green and has two iron beds because she was fiercely proud of her Irish heritage, her steel-mill-working father, and was married twice. If you don't ask (or read the guest book and discern the answer), you'll just know that your room is as comfortable -- and as neutral -- as I can make it.
We have very few older family photos around, carefully chosen & none in the guest rooms. We have an 1887 photo, very large in an old frame on the wall at the landing on the staircase of the main house, of my granddaddy & his twin sister as toddlers. We don't say anything about it but people often ask who they are. It's not related to the history of the house at all, it's just a neat old photo. Our rooms are themed, based on the the furnishings. You'll find what works for you. I'm always tweaking the rooms.

Family Tree B&B?.
swirt said:
Family Tree B&B?
swirt said:
IronGate said:
IronGate said:
I thought I posted this one last week...a semi-serious story about the room included a mention that if the previous occupant should happen to wander in just saying hello to him should make him move right along. Guest was creeped out by the story, thought she saw something, wanted to switch rooms.

Family Tree B&B?.
swirt said:
Family Tree B&B?
swirt said:
IronGate said:
IronGate said:
I thought I posted this one last week...a semi-serious story about the room included a mention that if the previous occupant should happen to wander in just saying hello to him should make him move right along. Guest was creeped out by the story, thought she saw something, wanted to switch rooms.
She must have panicked and forgot to say "hello."
tounge_smile.gif

How about 'The Archives'? It has a nice clean ring to it, it ties in the genealogy angle and will look great in print.

I think naming the rooms after your family is a beautiful idea. We did the same here - we named them after the counties of birth (in Ireland) of family members. And ALL my family loved it. It makes you feel so proud.
"My Grandparents Place" ----hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I don't know. It depends on where you are, and if the B&B's do well in your location.
It's a lovely name. One of the B&B's here named it "Andrew's Legacy". Maybe something like that.
"Grandma's"
"Grandad's Place"
"The Grand Inn"

All in the Family

In the Family Way

Our Family Tree - Thems that ain't fruits is nuts.

The Holiday is Over I Wish My Family Would Leave Inn

Never Mind, You were adopted B&B.

Back