Is this your policy? Fire and vapor free and don’t bring your own bottle

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
I’m wondering what your policies are ... just booked at an inn and these are the policies stated
‘Xxx is a fire and vapor free property. No tobacco products, e-cigarettes, candles, incense etc. There is a minimum $250 fine for smoking. Smoking fines or any other room damage charges will be charged to the credit card on file.
Due to State Liquor Laws, guests are not allowed to bring their own alcohol onto our property.”
New for me was to see the no vapes ... fine by me ...
The part that surprised me was that I can’t bring my own bottle of wine. Looking up State law, it seems it actually depends on the municipality and it’s not illegal in this particular town. I won’t go against the rules of the inn, but have bmob many times. I assume it’s too prevent guests drinking too much and the resultant problems.

A promotional item I gave out at one time was wine bottle openers. One group of sailing friends used to book the whole place for three nights each summer and they’d set up a bar in the library.
what is your policy? Have you changed it to include no vapes and do you prohibit byob?

No smoking/vaping indoors.. cigarettes or pot, since both are legally around here, do it outside. Drink your own alcohol, perfectly legal. Glasses in the room.

No smoking or vaping in the building, or within 25’ of the building. State regulation.
We have guests show up with portable bars! As long as they don’t cause problems, I don’t care. I do believe you are not allowed off the property with alcohol, so they can’t wander down the street.
I’ve been told I was not allowed to drink my own wine in one place as they had a license to sell it so I had to buy it from them. Not even in my own room, which is bs so none of us followed that rule. We just didn’t drink in the common spaces.
Personally, if you like a glass of wine while hanging out in your room, I’d bring it along. I don’t believe the state has the right to say you can’t have a drink, even if it’s a dry town. You just can’t buy it or sell it.
You know me, I always say you can tell what the problems are by reading the policies!

I’ve never heard a liquor law that says you can’t buy a bottle and drink it in a private residence or hotel room.
I always think those that don’t bring a bottle are not thinking ahead. We supply corkscrews and stemware. Nothing makes me happier than seeing our guests relax on the lawn or porch with a glass of wine.
Story: I once spent a week at a no alcohol state park campground. We kept the bottle in the trailer and used opaque glasses. We aren’t heavy drinkers. No one cared.

Vermont liquor law stipulates that if you have a Class 1 or 3 license (to serve on premises) then guests cannot consume alcohol bought on property. It's the equivalent of walking into a bar with your own bottle.
The principle is that if you hold the license, you're liable if a guest over drinks and does something. So you have to know and control who gets served and how much.
That said, most small inns like us can only stipulate what the law is, and then hope guests will honor it. We're not the liquor police. My SO and I have big debates about this. She wants to enforce the law hard; I'm more laizze-faire.

Vermont liquor law stipulates that if you have a Class 1 or 3 license (to serve on premises) then guests cannot consume alcohol bought on property. It's the equivalent of walking into a bar with your own bottle.
The principle is that if you hold the license, you're liable if a guest over drinks and does something. So you have to know and control who gets served and how much.
That said, most small inns like us can only stipulate what the law is, and then hope guests will honor it. We're not the liquor police. My SO and I have big debates about this. She wants to enforce the law hard; I'm more laizze-faire..
This is an example of why we never applied for a license. The rules are onerous. I’m the Parking lot police, I don’t want to be the alcohol police, too.
Plus, if you have a license here you have to buy from a single distributor that may not be anywhere near you. You can’t just pick up a bottle of wine at the grocery store, even for personal consumption.
Another reason I didn’t want to get into it is you have to assign drinking areas and guests have to stay inside them. So, I could say you can drink in the living room but not the dining room and anyone who wanted to eat their leftovers with a bottle of beer would have to balance a plate on their knees on the couch.
Yes, I would like to be able to serve mimosas or have wine and cheese packages, but not enough to deal with the rest of it.
I’ve never seen rules about alcohol at hotels with bars. Sure, you don’t sit in their bar with your own bottle, but in your room? Hotels also sell candy bars and snacks. They don’t search your bags to be sure you’re not bringing in your own. Unlike movie theaters!

LikeMort,I do not have a license because I would have to drsignate a storagearea on the license and I believe the distributor is also in there. Did not read carefully enough after the storage part which is a no-go for me - no room. I give my guests wine glasses when they need them and hand them the cork puller.
Resmoking & vaping - I have always been no smokingindoors - even before my County bannedit. My s-i-l has always done his vaping on the porch. The County Health Dept has now banned vaping indoors.

As with others, we allow tobacco and marijuana smoke and vape only outside -- not in rooms, BUT we also make a big deal about no candles, etc. in room due to concern over fire.
No problem with wine and beer I serve/you bring in Oregon.

Back