Is your problem gluten? Or faddish eating?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!! In the last sentence someone actually said it is a fad.
I have no problem going the extra distance for a person who actually HAS a problem but I resent being expected to go to the extra time AND EXPENSE (they KNOW it is expensive) so someone can be trendy.

There are a lot of "self-diagnosed" and fad GF. I serve the regular stuff to everyone else, they get the GF choices. It's not making them thinner, just more annoying.

This is the one I have checking in tomorrow "I do not eat beef or pork, and no refined sugars. i can eat things sweetened with honey, evaporated cane juice, agave, splenda or stevia. I do eat turkey,chicken and fish so breakfast omlettes and things like turkey bacon, fake sausage are fine and muffins are ok as long as they have no refined sugar."
In another e-mail she states that eats "healthy" and when she does eat bread, etc. it's gluten free.
This is going to be fun. She's here for 7 nights!

This is the one I have checking in tomorrow "I do not eat beef or pork, and no refined sugars. i can eat things sweetened with honey, evaporated cane juice, agave, splenda or stevia. I do eat turkey,chicken and fish so breakfast omlettes and things like turkey bacon, fake sausage are fine and muffins are ok as long as they have no refined sugar."
In another e-mail she states that eats "healthy" and when she does eat bread, etc. it's gluten free.
This is going to be fun. She's here for 7 nights!.
It's not fair to the other guests if you bend everyone else's meal because of her. Simply tell her what she can and can't have... and that's that. It's a lifestyle choice, not an allergy, intolerance or medically motivated.
(I carry raw sugar for the vegans, if they want expensive agave syrup, they need to bring their own. But I still don't understand how this is supposed to be good for the planet if you spend resources and fossil fuels to bring this half way around the world instead of beet sugar, which can be grown and refined locally.)

It's not fair to the other guests if you bend everyone else's meal because of her. Simply tell her what she can and can't have... and that's that. It's a lifestyle choice, not an allergy, intolerance or medically motivated.
(I carry raw sugar for the vegans, if they want expensive agave syrup, they need to bring their own. But I still don't understand how this is supposed to be good for the planet if you spend resources and fossil fuels to bring this half way around the world instead of beet sugar, which can be grown and refined locally.)
We've got the raw sugar, too. And honey and the agave nectar (altho that is not out for guests to just pour all over the place.)

She's here for 7 nights!
I will pray for you!!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I don't make the other guests eat what she eats. I end up doing 2 entirely different breakfasts, because you're right, it's not fair to the other guests. The problem here is her length of stay. I think I'll just give her the options of fruit, Greek yogurt and GF oatmeal & granola. I can be heroic for 1 or 2 days, but not 7!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I don't make the other guests eat what she eats. I end up doing 2 entirely different breakfasts, because you're right, it's not fair to the other guests. The problem here is her length of stay. I think I'll just give her the options of fruit, Greek yogurt and GF oatmeal & granola. I can be heroic for 1 or 2 days, but not 7!
There's a good GF corn muffin recipe on here somewhere. Everyone can eat that. I don't know if we could be 'heroic' like you said for 7 breakfasts. There would be a lot of eggs on that table. If I can't feed something to everyone else, I just cannot see wasting all that food on trying to cook differently for one person.
This is another of 'those' weekends. 2 GF's (it was only 1 when they made the rez, and now they are saying it's celiac so we can't even offer them GF toast with the eggs), 3 no processed meat, 1 shellfish, 1 dairy, 1 grapefruit, 1 eggs.
Trying to plan around that when guests are staying multiple nights overlapping with different 'issues' is dang near impossible. PLUS, they are here in groups so we have to be able to cook and serve to 4 and 5 at a time. And I have to remember who has what problem to tell DH when he's cooking. 'This batch no meat, this batch 2 with no toast,' etc.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I'm sorry, but you don't need to cater to her in that way. She's on her own cockamame diet. Here is the fruit, bread, cereal, milk, soy milk, etc and enjoy. She will make due. Don't bother to cook for her, you are overworked enough making breakfast for all.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I'm sorry, but you don't need to cater to her in that way. She's on her own cockamame diet. Here is the fruit, bread, cereal, milk, soy milk, etc and enjoy. She will make due. Don't bother to cook for her, you are overworked enough making breakfast for all.
This is her honeymoon. A memory she'll have forever. I'll do whatever I can to make it a great experience for her.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
This is her honeymoon. A memory she'll have forever. I'll do whatever I can to make it a great experience for her.
Yes, we do get into that mode. Wouldn't it be nice if guests tried to be the best guests WE ever had!

okay
i have been eating gluten free lately since my sister was here. experimenting with the products she left behind ... blanched almond flour seems to work nicely in what i've tried it in so far. and i am a classic baker ... old fashioned recipes with basic ingredients. but it's been so hot i haven't baked much. and we had to freeze most of the flour so it will keep. the being used flour is in a mason jar. the problem is that this flour is expensive.
i already use stevia and honey myself ($$) and i don't buy bacon with nitrites but finding it without added sugar is hard. today i had turkey bacon and it's just not bacon. i asked at the meat department / butcher of three different stores, and they don't offer their own bacon. humph.
for the honeymoon guest, i might offer a gluten free muffin or something from a place that specializes in making them, unless you have the ingredients to make a batch and freeze. otherwise i'd just stay away from the bread for her. she should be happy with eggs and fruit.
my sister brings her 'special food' with her ...
isn't there someone whose wife does special baking? i have to look back in the posts.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
this blog with recipes was referenced on forum before. maybe it will help.

okay
i have been eating gluten free lately since my sister was here. experimenting with the products she left behind ... blanched almond flour seems to work nicely in what i've tried it in so far. and i am a classic baker ... old fashioned recipes with basic ingredients. but it's been so hot i haven't baked much. and we had to freeze most of the flour so it will keep. the being used flour is in a mason jar. the problem is that this flour is expensive.
i already use stevia and honey myself ($$) and i don't buy bacon with nitrites but finding it without added sugar is hard. today i had turkey bacon and it's just not bacon. i asked at the meat department / butcher of three different stores, and they don't offer their own bacon. humph.
for the honeymoon guest, i might offer a gluten free muffin or something from a place that specializes in making them, unless you have the ingredients to make a batch and freeze. otherwise i'd just stay away from the bread for her. she should be happy with eggs and fruit.
isn't there someone whose wife does special baking? i have to look back in the posts..
I keep all the different flours on hand (separate loaf pan, measuring cups, & measuring spoons). If I can make a loaf of bread, I am good for 3 meals - eggs & toast, french toast, and bread pudding. I have to be careful because DH has tried that bread and thought it was good. Therefore, I give the guest any leftover GF bread so he cannot get it into his head for me to make THAT for him. It is bad enough that he now wants an all-rye bread made. I cannot find rye flour in the stores any longer. I have to buy it at the bulk store (translate ORGANIC $$) @ $1.35 a pound!!! I bought 10 lbs but that will not last long with each baking taking 6 to 7 cups. He is expensive enough without catering to GF for him when there is no reason to (other than in his head).

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I suspect it is her hubby that need to try really hard to make her honeymoon memorable!
wink_smile.gif

Not much you can do. If she has kids and starts having to make 3 meals a day I bet she all of sudden eats regular food again. Interesting how time and money can convert a picky eater into an omnivore!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I suspect it is her hubby that need to try really hard to make her honeymoon memorable!
wink_smile.gif

Not much you can do. If she has kids and starts having to make 3 meals a day I bet she all of sudden eats regular food again. Interesting how time and money can convert a picky eater into an omnivore!
And she will not recognize hot food.

okay
isn't there someone whose wife does special baking? i have to look back in the posts..
seashanty said:
okay
I've found that almond flour is very not diet-friendly. VERY heavy in the fat/calorie department. I made a nice mix of brown rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato flour that I can use in just about anything.
I know JB here has said that if someone has an allergy to just cut it out of the diet- and to some extent that is possible.
But it's easier for ME to just bake the stuff with my GF flour mix and call it good. And it is good. I didn't want to have to make two different pans of mac and cheese for dinner. Or two types of tacos. Or two types of pancakes. We have all adopted to the GF flour for our daughter's sake and it's helped her to not feel isolated and it's helped us to be compassionate and a 'team' about it :)

okay
seashanty said:
okay
I've found that almond flour is very not diet-friendly. VERY heavy in the fat/calorie department. I made a nice mix of brown rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato flour that I can use in just about anything.
I know JB here has said that if someone has an allergy to just cut it out of the diet- and to some extent that is possible.
But it's easier for ME to just bake the stuff with my GF flour mix and call it good. And it is good. I didn't want to have to make two different pans of mac and cheese for dinner. Or two types of tacos. Or two types of pancakes. We have all adopted to the GF flour for our daughter's sake and it's helped her to not feel isolated and it's helped us to be compassionate and a 'team' about it :)
Penelope said:
seashanty said:
okay
I realize eating in a family is different, I meant those who go out to eat, just don't eat that item. Or staying at a B&B. I went through a similar diet years ago and every sauce, every dish had it in there, and I couldn't eat anything it seemed, except whole foods.
On the other hand, I am not a big casserole person, I have said it 1000 times when you make a casserole it is supposed to cost less and in the end costs more with all the variety of ingredients. I am also not a big sauce person, so the less ingredients the better. Give me a steak, salad and veg or baked potato and I am happy as a clam. :)

Back