Is Your Small Business A 24-Hour Monster?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know most of us have caught onto having set hours to answer the phone. I don't forward the inn phone to my cellphone when I leave the house. That's what the answering machine is for. However, I have been out for dinner or lunch with other innkeepers and they all answer the phone. I am missing that business opportunity, provided those same guests would have called me, too.
In that way, our business is different from the 9-5, M-F business this article talks about. More than likely the author is in the kind of business where there are 'office hours' and not a lot of competition.
I need to stop answering the phone during breakfast. My answering machine says our office hours are from 9-9.
Doing check-ins after check-in time is over- no. I put out a note at 7 PM sharp. DH will answer the door until he is in bed. As long as he doesn't expect me to answer the door OR help out in any way, then I am ok with what he feels is appropriate. Do NOT yell for me, though. No. Handle it yourself, you brought it on yourself.
Doing check-ins before time- No. Mostly.

As always, this is not written by an innkeeper, and oddly enough the articles I DO read by innkeepers or B&B coaches are even FURTHER off. Howz that? haha So take it for what it is worth and apply what you think works for you, in your situation.
Last night we all paused as DH stepped away from the table with a call. Admittedly involved in a major issue at work, so he had to take it, but not at my table. Sorry dude.

As always, this is not written by an innkeeper, and oddly enough the articles I DO read by innkeepers or B&B coaches are even FURTHER off. Howz that? haha So take it for what it is worth and apply what you think works for you, in your situation.
Last night we all paused as DH stepped away from the table with a call. Admittedly involved in a major issue at work, so he had to take it, but not at my table. Sorry dude..
Joey Bloggs said:
...but not at my table. Sorry dude.
Speaking as a man, here, I think you mean "our" table. He has equal rights.
[Swirt, where's that "duck" emoticon I keep looking for???????]

Back