Is your Website Mobile Friendly????

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Google has seen a 400% increase in the number of searches on mobile devices within the past year ......
Google estimates that 79% of its advertisers are not prepared to engage their customers on mobilewww.mediapost.com/publications/

This one is tricky. I've seen my website on a smartphone and, yeah, there's a lot of stuff on there, but it looks fine, works fine, loads quickly. I guess I could make a 'smaller' version of the same page for the phone, but is it necessary?

I have looked at my site on my - not so smart phone and it is sad looking. I will be looking into this very soon. My web designer has his plate full right now learning new software and working on our pool & hot tub.

I have looked at my site on my - not so smart phone and it is sad looking. I will be looking into this very soon. My web designer has his plate full right now learning new software and working on our pool & hot tub..
copperhead said:
I have looked at my site on my - not so smart phone and it is sad looking. I will be looking into this very soon. My web designer has his plate full right now learning new software and working on our pool & hot tub.
Wow! Your pool boy does web design, too?
wink_smile.gif

This one is tricky. I've seen my website on a smartphone and, yeah, there's a lot of stuff on there, but it looks fine, works fine, loads quickly. I guess I could make a 'smaller' version of the same page for the phone, but is it necessary?.
I think we had this discussion a while back...while they probably aren't pretty...most sites will show up on the smart phones. The FLASH won't be seen..but that's another thing entirely..I am not going to open up again :)
I was looking at a friend's stats yesterday..again because he was concerned after attending a conference :-( He has a mobile site and it has not really been accessed all that much. But looking at his regular site, the google stats show lots of browsing going on via mobile phones of various types. So I am not sure other than doing away with the flash and making it smaller with less info..what good it really was in doing.
Opinions SWIRT?

I have looked at my site on my - not so smart phone and it is sad looking. I will be looking into this very soon. My web designer has his plate full right now learning new software and working on our pool & hot tub..
I learned this last conference to know that the thing to remember when fixing for view on a smart phone is that what shows starts from the upper left hand corner out, if I am making myself clear...
RIki

copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Exactly what I was going to say HA HA

copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif

Yes, his name is Jack!
poke.gif

While this has been a topic before (like so many other threads) I found the new research data to be more convincing now.
61% call the business for the ad that was clicked on
Will Mobile take over the internet? Not overnight but -
"We think the mobile market will dwarf the PC market," Woodside said. "We already saw in Q4 that mobile device shipments outstripped PC shipments for the first time."

If a site is designed with CSS it is pretty easy to modify the css to have a specific set of formatting for mobile... to not show certain things when viewed on a mobile. It uses the same site but displays it differently.
I think that is a much safer and wiser approach than a dedicated mobile website. .mobi was pretty much dead shortly after it started. The iphone's browser made it unecessary and since all the new smart phones are trying to beat the iphone, then they display sites fairly well too. Many smart phones display flash, but the iphone is incapable of it. It has always been my recommendation if you have flash to provide an alternative to it. An image if the flash is just graphical. Links if the flash is navigational. The best solution to this is to use SWFobject to present Flash if the browser can handle it, or alternate content if the browser can't.
The interesting thing is whether many of the mini tablets out there (ipad knockoffs) are treated as a mobile phone or a more traditional viewer. This I am not sure of yet.... but I think I just came up with a good reason to justify me getting an Arcos tablet or some other :)

If a site is designed with CSS it is pretty easy to modify the css to have a specific set of formatting for mobile... to not show certain things when viewed on a mobile. It uses the same site but displays it differently.
I think that is a much safer and wiser approach than a dedicated mobile website. .mobi was pretty much dead shortly after it started. The iphone's browser made it unecessary and since all the new smart phones are trying to beat the iphone, then they display sites fairly well too. Many smart phones display flash, but the iphone is incapable of it. It has always been my recommendation if you have flash to provide an alternative to it. An image if the flash is just graphical. Links if the flash is navigational. The best solution to this is to use SWFobject to present Flash if the browser can handle it, or alternate content if the browser can't.
The interesting thing is whether many of the mini tablets out there (ipad knockoffs) are treated as a mobile phone or a more traditional viewer. This I am not sure of yet.... but I think I just came up with a good reason to justify me getting an Arcos tablet or some other :).
You're right, Swirt, I can see most websites extremely well with my HTC Evo (which btw kicks iPhone's features according to all the folks I know with iPhone 4Gs...lol). It's actually preferable to me to have the full site to the scaled down mobile sites. Keep me posted on the mini tablets...I want to get my dh one. He keeps taking my phone to browse the Internet!!!
angry_smile.gif

Back