Is your website out of date?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Found this in one of the articles to the left...
Is your website ready for updating? Anything 2 years or older is a dinosaur that won't be found by the new search engine algorithms.
What the heck does that mean? What new algorithms are going to ignore any website older than 2 years?

I agree we need to continue to add new and current content to our websites, not reinvent the wheel necessarily. We should change things out here and there when we can. The search engines like that.

I agree we need to continue to add new and current content to our websites, not reinvent the wheel necessarily. We should change things out here and there when we can. The search engines like that..
Do you think that's what the article meant? If it hasn't been touched in 2 years? Or it hasn't been completely revamped in 2 years?

No I think they want you to hire a webdesigner and build a brand new website. That is what all of them want. I get the calls like y'all do telling me my website is not being found and how they can fix that for me. Meanwhile if you ask THEM 2 questions they do not even know what our website is!
I tell them, as it irritates me, you know, you really should as least look at their website before you cold call businesses.

Same old scammers...just out to "scare" people and make some $$ at your expense. Don't even give them the benefit of discussion. Hang up.

Is your website ready for updating? Anything 2 years or older is a dinosaur that won't be found by the new search engine algorithms.
Essentially rubbish. Yes it is good to have new content, kept fresh, blogged... but that doesn't mean that static pages that haven't changed won't get found (if they were designed well to begin with).

jb, i followed that link and that is one hideous website they've got there!

Do you know the title of the article? It's all different stuff now and I'm not sure where to look. (O Google search master.
wink_smile.gif
)

Joey Bloggs said:
I only posted a link as a source for the article. The author is part of that group. I am not saying their website is good or makes money. I didn't post this in the resource section as a resource.
? is this in response to what i said? i didn't say anything about your impression of their site or whether or not it makes money.
i was just commenting about that website .... when someone wants to give me website advice, if their own website is unappealing, i find it hard to take their advice.

No, the article was on linked in and I posted the link to the source only.
Never mind, posting pertinent information only to be questioned is a-typical for this forum. IS THE INFORMATION USEFUL? COMMENT OR DON'T COMMENT. I was not posting a critique of that website. I will delete the whole thing to make it easier.

well, i meant no offense. i understand your frustration. i don't think i do that critiquing a lot on this forum, but i will try not to in future. sorry.
as for updating of websites ... my brother in law is a dentist, was retired, came back. and put his old website back online. i asked him if would be updating it a little and he got defensive. said he doesn't want a 'sterile site.'
so all the cartoon gifs, the frog with a big tongue that stretches across the page to grab the letter ... all the silly and unprofessional looking things are back ... he has a link to the site that created the gifs and it's off line for updates ... it's been that way for months. he doesn't want to change his site. the old, grainy pictures of himself will stay.
he says the old patients won't be able to find him if he changes it. ?? it's the same url. many of those old patients have found other dentists. they might not recognize the site, but they know his name. his style doesn't have to go away just because he polishes up the site. and he needs to attract new patients. there are about 10 other dental offices in a two mile radius. i think his website should be the stand out.

It makes sense to have your site looked at just for SEO.
Once that is done ( or you've done a bang up job from the get go ) then you are fine until the search algorythms change. This doesn't happen every 2 yrs !
Early on webcrawlers looked for contents in page and tags, Google started out with links references to the site , how many time a keyword is referenced on a page , then pagerank.
Now google uses over 200 signals to rank , including relevance, topicality, reputation, value-add, and even site speed.
This is effected by online material more than B&B websites ( going head to head ).
I would recommend reevaluating yoru website when paradigms of the interenet bring change ( like web 2.0, social media ).
Google analyzer helps you with searches for yoru specific need. be niche.

I wrote a blog yesterday about Marketing your Bed and Breakfast. Take a look and hope it helps. http://blog.vbwebsites.net/
It is important to keep fresh content on the site. In my posting I go into detail on how you can keep fresh urilizing modern day web technologies

I wrote a blog yesterday about Marketing your Bed and Breakfast. Take a look and hope it helps. http://blog.vbwebsites.net/
It is important to keep fresh content on the site. In my posting I go into detail on how you can keep fresh urilizing modern day web technologies.
Uh who are you and why should we take your word? How long have you been dong B & B sites. Honestly, I have never heard of you before...though I do know the innkeepers at Charles House.

Hello catlady, I have been developing websites for 10 years and i understand your "who are you statement :)" I spent some time over the past few months learning about B&B's so that we could come up with a web platform that would be superb in your industry. I just found this website and can appreciate all the knowledge here.
As far as taking my word, there are principals on the web and reguardless of the industry, same principals of achieving on the web apply. The folks at the Cape Charles house were fantastic to work with and taught me a lot as well about B&B's.
I am here to help.
Thanks,
Brady Behrman

Hello catlady, I have been developing websites for 10 years and i understand your "who are you statement :)" I spent some time over the past few months learning about B&B's so that we could come up with a web platform that would be superb in your industry. I just found this website and can appreciate all the knowledge here.
As far as taking my word, there are principals on the web and reguardless of the industry, same principals of achieving on the web apply. The folks at the Cape Charles house were fantastic to work with and taught me a lot as well about B&B's.
I am here to help.
Thanks,
Brady Behrman.
You'll find that alot of us here are web savvy and some of us even do free lance web design :) Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. So can I ask.... what would an average cost be for a B & B web site you do. I know there are alot of variables..but in general a round figure.
THe reason I ask is...there are already quite a few "BIG GUYS" doing B & B sites and they cost an arm and a leg. It is probably the reason so many small inns have such out of date and ugly looking sites...$$$$$. There is a need for someone in a lower-mid range that understands the industry and can build something that an innkeeper can then manage by themselves without having to continually paying for updates.
You need to join the BBAV...state association as a vendor member so that more in the state will know about you. Be a vendor at one of their conferences..show the B & B folks what you have is what they need.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum, i appreciate that. The more I can learn, the better I can provide solutions. Wish I would have stumbled upon this site sooner.
Shocker price is $5,000.00 and yes there are variables. We don't use any open source applications like joomla, wordpress etc for many resons such as; they are a hog of resources, security issues etc. Our company model is developing unique turn key solutions. The $5,000 base price includes custom design, modification of backend administrative areas (everyone has slightly different needs), setup of pages, training, Facebook creation, twitter creation (if desired), syndication from website to facebook, twitter and other social media sources + + + + +..Also, our price provides some exclusivity as well.
Our sites are dynamic / data driven which in today's world is important to allow the website owner tools so they can keep their website current and updated and NOT need to pay for updates.

Bruce and Carol at Cape Charles House mentioned joining the state and national associations and I think I will.

Back