Is your whole B&B out of date?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With owning an Inn and now working in one. This one is filled with period antiques from when the house was a residence (late 1800's-early 1900's) and I believe that some Inns you go to you kind of step back in time and marvel at what it must have been like to live in a house like this one many years ago.
People who write those articles must be employed by the company they are praising. Those people are so ignorant about B & B's because every one of them are different as someone already mentioned, there are some who allow children and families (we where one of them when), some don't allow children whatsoever, some allow nudity etc...so get one with your life and maybe they should stay in a B & B to write about them....dumb A....es

I think each B & B is different. Pottery Barn works for certain B & B's and for others, antiques work well. It depends on the location, the style and architecture of the house. People also comment constantly on all of our modern Pottery Barn items just like they comment on your antiques and we are very proud of that too. I don't think Pottery Barn is bad or antiques are bad either. It just depends on the situation.

I prefer contemporary....
Modern is a bit sterile for me...
Anitque-ish.......fine....just not full blown ceiling to floor antique
Seen many, many inn websites...........loads of pictures.......what turns me off..........the late 19th, early 20th century Victorian......that has the interior way over the top Victorian roll playing......I've been to Castles and Estates through Europe and none I had seen were as gaudy as some of the Victoriam B&B's I've seen in pictures

I think each B & B is different. Pottery Barn works for certain B & B's and for others, antiques work well. It depends on the location, the style and architecture of the house. People also comment constantly on all of our modern Pottery Barn items just like they comment on your antiques and we are very proud of that too. I don't think Pottery Barn is bad or antiques are bad either. It just depends on the situation..
See, that's the whole point...PB WORKS where you are! It's where I think about when I think where PB would look good!

Ridiculous! What works for someone, won't necessarily work for another. Also, just because you have an historic home, doesn't mean that you have to decorate with antiques. When these old homes were owned by the same family for years, they might have decorated with whatever was the current style of the day and updated their decor. One of my neighbors has their 1880's house decorated with retro 1960's furnishing.
PERSONAL CHOICE!
Our guests expect clean, attractive, comfortable furniture that's in good shape.
If every B&B decorated the same, it would be like staying a chain hotels/motels.

Ridiculous! What works for someone, won't necessarily work for another. Also, just because you have an historic home, doesn't mean that you have to decorate with antiques. When these old homes were owned by the same family for years, they might have decorated with whatever was the current style of the day and updated their decor. One of my neighbors has their 1880's house decorated with retro 1960's furnishing.
PERSONAL CHOICE!
Our guests expect clean, attractive, comfortable furniture that's in good shape.
If every B&B decorated the same, it would be like staying a chain hotels/motels..
YOUR furnishings fit your house perfectly. Your house would not have looked good with 'modern' furnishings any more than any of our places would. Oceans excepted. We've seen his pix and the furnishings there are spot on.
You're right. We all need to do what suits what we have to work with. Whatever that is.
When management decides that the chain hotels will be revamped, it doesn't matter where they are or how that style will look in that location. They all have to look the same and it is based on someone deciding far away from the property.

PERSONAL CHOICE!
If every B&B decorated the same, it would be like staying a chain hotels/motels..
YOUR furnishings fit your house perfectly. Your house would not have looked good with 'modern' furnishings any more than any of our places would. Oceans excepted. We've seen his pix and the furnishings there are spot on.
You're right. We all need to do what suits what we have to work with. Whatever that is.
When management decides that the chain hotels will be revamped, it doesn't matter where they are or how that style will look in that location. They all have to look the same and it is based on someone deciding far away from the property.
Thanks! One of these days I'll get to your place so I can return the compliment!
I like our mix of traditional and antiques. It's comfortable here, I think, which is important to me. :)
Actually, our neighbors' house with the retro look 1960's furnishings is pretty cool. :) Not necessarily my personal choice but it works with how they've painted the rooms and their art. They have some carpeting through their foyer and up the stairs from the previous owners that doesn't work but it's in the plans to get rid of that. Their pride and joy is their vintage Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman. It's really a neat look that works for them.

As I've said before, as Innkeepers we furnish according to what appeals to us personally. By virtue of this, our photos and style attract like-minded guests, who rave. A Gingerbread Victorian filled with gaudy wallpaper, heavy velvet drapes and spindly furniture attracts just one type of guest (who no doubt raves). A Lakefront Log Cabin another type, a Brick Farmhouse another and on and on with each type of guest gravitating toward the style and feel that appeals...totally unconciously most of the time.
Obviously the author of this article is partial to the PB "look".

As I've said before, as Innkeepers we furnish according to what appeals to us personally. By virtue of this, our photos and style attract like-minded guests, who rave. A Gingerbread Victorian filled with gaudy wallpaper, heavy velvet drapes and spindly furniture attracts just one type of guest (who no doubt raves). A Lakefront Log Cabin another type, a Brick Farmhouse another and on and on with each type of guest gravitating toward the style and feel that appeals...totally unconciously most of the time.
Obviously the author of this article is partial to the PB "look"..
Absolutely! And guests must like options or B&Bs wouldn't be so successful. :)

Gimmee a cabin in the woods...
that is what i long for, no more dust collectors...

Is it possible to reply to blogs? How ridiculous to suggest b&b's furnish the inn from a chain store!
sad_smile.gif
As a small business owner I try to use other small businesses, independent restaurants, even an independently owned hardware store if I can find it. Each of my guest rooms represents a different country and I take pride in knowing that a wonderful friend in New Zealand shipped the fabric over from which my mother made curtains and pillows (the fabric has Maori symbols and carvings within it), the Zimbabwe room has artifacts from Zimbabwe not a factory made piece China, yet the China room has a small terracotta soldier and items that represent that country.
Thank you making me more aware that some people still don't have a clue as to the unique and wonderful experience of staying outside the box.

Is it possible to reply to blogs? How ridiculous to suggest b&b's furnish the inn from a chain store!
sad_smile.gif
As a small business owner I try to use other small businesses, independent restaurants, even an independently owned hardware store if I can find it. Each of my guest rooms represents a different country and I take pride in knowing that a wonderful friend in New Zealand shipped the fabric over from which my mother made curtains and pillows (the fabric has Maori symbols and carvings within it), the Zimbabwe room has artifacts from Zimbabwe not a factory made piece China, yet the China room has a small terracotta soldier and items that represent that country.
Thank you making me more aware that some people still don't have a clue as to the unique and wonderful experience of staying outside the box..
I think your place sounds fantastic B&B is all about individuality and personality.

Back