It Happened

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innkeep

Reaction score
2 pm, I'm finishing up the second of 2 rooms I needed to flip and the shower door falls off in my hands! It looks like a tiny little metal piece made to hold the top attacher thingy broke in two. I'm sure this little piece is specific to this particular shower door. At first, before careful inspection I put all the little odds and ends that fell off the hinge back together and tried to line up the door with the tiny little holes in the frame. I ended up breaking off 2 fingernails, putting a divot in a window sill and almost breaking a window.
Since I'm here by myself, I decided I needed to call for help, knowing that guests were scheduled to arrive at 3 pm. One of my neighbors came over, and he agreed that the little metal piece was broken. We decided to try to make a repair to the metal with silicon caulk, since if the repair is incorrect at least we can dig it out, and super glue is forever. But now caulk has to dry. Guests are here, I'm sweating, door is still off, and my neighbor is now headed home.
I think I'll go to Wally world and find a shower rod to stick up there as a temporary solution. But I have to wait for the last room to check in first. And this is the first really busy stretch I've had. I've been so happy because I feel like the B&B is finally becoming a going concern and now it's falling apart.
Not asking for advice, just commiseration
confused_smile.gif

Commiseration! We had the same thing happen to us. Unfortunately, the guest broke it and didn't tell us. We were cleaning the room and door fell off. Same thing, little part that broke. My reaction is to go quickly buy a curtain rod and curtain but the old partner says it can be fixed. Once those words are uttered I disappear. I go do other things well out of the way!
What we ultimately had to do (because this is a really old door style that we haven't seen anywhere) was totally disassemble the shower door & the rails and reinstall it. It works fine now but we still worry about the next guest who just flings the door and knocks it out again.

I feel your pain! I'm sure your guest will understand the temporary fix with a shower rod. Tell them you'll fix it when they're out to dinner. WHY does this thing always happen at the worse possible time?

I'm sorry to hear about that. I'm sure things will get better for you. I've been having my share of things happening too. First the shower head snapped off its pipe while a guest was showering. I heard the head drop to the shower floor and a loud scream from upstairs. Got that fixed and then a few days later at midnight the water line blew in the same room. The connector to the faucet to pipe in the wall blew off. Old pastic connector that got brittle.

I'm sorry to hear about that. I'm sure things will get better for you. I've been having my share of things happening too. First the shower head snapped off its pipe while a guest was showering. I heard the head drop to the shower floor and a loud scream from upstairs. Got that fixed and then a few days later at midnight the water line blew in the same room. The connector to the faucet to pipe in the wall blew off. Old pastic connector that got brittle..
It's tough when stuff starts to go! We had a guest come out and say she was brushing her teeth when she realized her feet were getting wet. She was running the water but the drain pipe had broken so the water was draining all over the floor. Right in the middle of breakfast.
She was able to go to another room to clean up but breakfast has to get cooked during breakfast time! All we could do was shut the water off.
We've had the shower pipe break as well. Luckily not inside the wall.

Poor, Baby!! It will be OK. All will be well. Take a deep breath and as you go get the $10 shower curtain rod and the $10 worth of shower curtain plus another $10 for shower curtan hooks, repeat the mantra - This too shall pass.
We had a full house with the last 2-rooms as walk-ins and as one person of the walk-in room sharing the bathroom showered, the ceiling tile in the dining room fell to the floor. Since the private bath was occupied by the other person in their party, ALL of THEM got showers in the other bathroom. The ONLY one to not get a shower was the one with a reservation (who had booked the less expensive shared bath and was already in-house when the others arrived so I could not play room roulette as i did this weekend). The shower drain had divorced the drain pipe on a Saturday morning when all the plumbing people in town were out-of-town. So with travel, a Saturday premium, and about an hour of work, we were back in business. New tile was up in the ceiling that afternoon. I can totally commiserate.

I have the perfect solution, I can send the travelling evangelist and his wife over to you now that they checked out and are back on the road and they can "Hee-yull yo show-wuh an yowarries whill-uh all be-uh goh-yon!"
shades_smile.gif

No offence to travelling healers, just thought I would inject a bit of humor in a humor-less sit-chee-ay-shun.

I can commisurate too. Full house in October for three day festival. A couple on second floor comes running downstairs 11PM telling us that the ceiling was leaking-we're like -OMG and we could not do the room switcharoo either. Hubbie runns to the third floor to another room that has a bath not a shower and thought that whomever was bathing was overrunning the bathwater-thank God that they were nice enough to turn the water off and it stopped the leaking and it was the last night. All night I worried that the damn ceiling would calapse on them-thank God it did not happen and they were kind enough to leave a great comment on Trip adviser-lucky us!

we had this but the chap didn't tell me so wasn't found till the chamber maid got to the room abot 12 and check in is two great! luckily our handyman was able to make a part and fit it. but I was hopping mad!

You're official now!
First story that comes to mind........We had guests come down and tell us that the closet light fixture came crashing down while the wife was in the shower. Since the closet is adjacent to the bathroom, it has a tile floor and even though there is a rug in there, glass went everywhere in the closet! Fortunately, no one was hurt. For the life of us, we could not figure out how the fixture came down. Theories were that the bathroom fan vibrated the fixture screws, or the fixture screws were never tightened up properly, ....we'll never know.
The guests were actually repeat guests and were really nice & refused a discount but I sent them a g.c. good for a free night stay.
Things always happen either when guests are in house or when they're due to arrive any minute....
Hang in there!

Back