It has begun!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
YAY! So excited... the restoration project on the outside of the house has begun!
upper%20windows.jpg

Scraping and sealing the windows, before painting.
up%20high1.jpg

Scraping paint, getting ready to paint! Waay up high... too high for me!
They also removed portions of the railings and posts to begun remaking them.
Very excited about it being finished!
It will be a beautiful 133 year old Victorian again!

Great!
(Get your checkbook out.)
Amish workers? We have some here. Excellent craftsmen.

Did you get their OK to take their pictures? Here in Lenkister, they don't like their pictures taken..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Did you get their OK to take their pictures? Here in Lenkister, they don't like their pictures taken.
Yes, I asked them first because I know there are some who don't like their pic taken. I didn't take any of their faces tho. The one up on the ladder was taken from far away and when I put it on the computer, I zoomed it in. I didn't realize it had so much of his face in it. Since I had taken it from far away, I couldn't see his face very well at all.

Yes, the ones here moved here because Missouri started requiring a photo on drivers licenses. They feel so strongly about it they moved to a different state! We're happy to have them! Our county borders Missouri, so we are as close as they can live to their relatives who didn't move.

Yes, the ones here moved here because Missouri started requiring a photo on drivers licenses. They feel so strongly about it they moved to a different state! We're happy to have them! Our county borders Missouri, so we are as close as they can live to their relatives who didn't move..
thumbs_up.gif
Good for them for standing up to what they believe. Enough to move to preserve that. Not too many today that would stand up for their convictions...

Yes, the ones here moved here because Missouri started requiring a photo on drivers licenses. They feel so strongly about it they moved to a different state! We're happy to have them! Our county borders Missouri, so we are as close as they can live to their relatives who didn't move..
You don't require a photo on a driver's license? I thought VT was the last hold out but that was years ago. When I used to travel with my non-photo driver's license no one believed it was valid. Now I just renew with the same old photo which doesn't look a thing like me. Nor does my passport.

You don't require a photo on a driver's license? I thought VT was the last hold out but that was years ago. When I used to travel with my non-photo driver's license no one believed it was valid. Now I just renew with the same old photo which doesn't look a thing like me. Nor does my passport.
Madeleine said:
You don't require a photo on a driver's license?
Photo is required here but they allow religious objectors to opt out. There's talk of changing it, though. Hope not. That would be one of those solutions they come up with when there's really no problem needing fixing!
I've heard that a lot of Amish have moved to South America to avoid America's photo ID fixation!

Great!
Amish workers? We have some here. Excellent craftsmen..
Arkansawyer said:
Great!
Amish workers? We have some here. Excellent craftsmen.
We got a written bid from them. Anything over the bid has to get pre-approved or they pay for it.
They did accidently break a window today, and also broke a couple of decorative pieces on the house.... No problem tho, my son is a great craftsmen and can remake them.

Madeleine said:
I thought that NJ was the last holdout. We were the last holdout in this country. When we went to DitzyWorld they wouldn't let us into the "Adults only island" because we had no photo ID with our age on it. And we were in our 30s! Apparently people from our province and NJ were regularly kept out because of our not having pics on our licences.

Beautiful. I wish I could find craftsmen like that..
I just wish I could find a roofer! Pretty doesn't count - just keep us dry! Waiting for a quote again. Roofer from last year is not returning my calls.
Around here, you befriend bricklayers and keep them close. They have so much work that they can pick and choose their jobs and they do. Roofer takes me 10 minutes to get. But we have been using the same one for two different roofs. Not only knows what he does and does it swiftly and smoothly, but also was up to date with the technology, which is why I have a white membrane roof. One look over at the roof of my neighbour reinforces my choice. If you have a flat roof, consider the white membrane. Keeps the house cooler in the summer and saves energy.

Beautiful. I wish I could find craftsmen like that..
I just wish I could find a roofer! Pretty doesn't count - just keep us dry! Waiting for a quote again. Roofer from last year is not returning my calls.
Around here, you befriend bricklayers and keep them close. They have so much work that they can pick and choose their jobs and they do. Roofer takes me 10 minutes to get. But we have been using the same one for two different roofs. Not only knows what he does and does it swiftly and smoothly, but also was up to date with the technology, which is why I have a white membrane roof. One look over at the roof of my neighbour reinforces my choice. If you have a flat roof, consider the white membrane. Keeps the house cooler in the summer and saves energy.
I have a 2-story with steep roof with angles - the house is a four-square - 4 rooms down and 4 rooms up. It still has 2 of its 3 chimneys, but not for long if I have my way. I think it will be easier to roof if they knock them down, put plywood or something over the holes with caulk of course, and roof ofer - no flashing to worry about. None of my chimneys are used now - just esthetics.

Back