It is NOT ok ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agoodman

Reaction score
Some of you may know this as a given but for many who have not done this for a while, or who may not have a hotel background ....
It is NOT ok to change the room the guest booked unless (1) there is some kind of emergency on your part like plumbing ... or if the current guest suddenly got ill or had a death in family and could not leave .... or (2) you have ok'd it with the guest ahead of time
I had a call late yesterday afternoon for a same day res wanting 3 nights (yay) - they had booked another Inn, the Inn had called them no less than THREE TIMES (a little excessive people!!) to reconfirm their res, and when the guests arrived the Innkeeper advised the guests she had changed their room, and it was NOT for reasons 1 or 2 (above)
Unusually the rooms at this inn are VERY similar, same floor, same bathroom config etc some slightly larger but nothing "major" ot themed
The guests were NOT happy - not so much with the new room they had assigned but for the fact they had never been asked or notified ahead of time so they left
Again I know many of you would never think of this, and I hope would never even think of charging the guest either if they decided to leave .... but some people do and will and IT IS NOT NICE.

I agree and am paranoid of one day overbooking or not putting in accurate info while on the phone and having to move a guest. Thanks for sharing this.

Absolutely. When someone has booked a particular room online, they've probably studied it, had reasons to pick it, and day-dreamed about being there, and only there. It's not right to disappoint them by changing things on them.

Their loss - your gain (yay!) I am assuming the people did not have to pay at the 1st place, right?! Thanks for the lesson!

Agree. If we want to switch a room to even out a multi-night stay, we always call. And that rarely, and if so, always a better deal for the original booking.

If people have booked a specific room I totally agree but quite often people book a standard double with us (ie want a double room but not fussed which one) so in that case I would move them as they never knew what they had in the first place. If they had booked a specific room or needed a special facility then they are marked with a Do Not Move ie people who need a ground floor room. Also I am sure you don't mean in the case of a compliamentary upgrade for example our two single rooms have a private bathroom not ensuite so if I have an ensuite room avaliable I upgrade as it actually saves me money as it is quicker for the chamber maid and makes the guest happy. we also have a lot of regular guests who have a particular room they like so wouldn't move them unless it was an emergency.

I moved a guest last night when I got a rez that wanted a private bath (but agreed to the private bath price for the shared with the second room not rented). A guest/friend reserves online and asks what room should I book and I say the room farthest from the shared bath but if no one else is here, she gets the big room. She is coming tonight and so is this rez. I have my guest/friend in mind as in the big room when I got the rez - DUH. My friend will be back where we had her originally because I knew (and she confirmed this morning with a Yea, more revenue).
The only other time, I had 2 people who wanted "MY" room and before I took the rez for the gentleman, I called the lady asking if I could upgrade her to the room with private bath AND I TOLD HER WHY. Her response was - "Oh give him the room!" Go figure, but that room with the shared bath is considered "my room" by several regulars.

Actually even in the case of an upgrade to a higher rated room or to a bathroom ensuite room, I would also call the guest to ask / let then know. Of course most will say yes but it's common courtesy
In the case of a guest NOT booking a specific room, but just a room "type" like "standard double" or deluxe king, no in that case this is a room category / type and would generally not require a call.

Differences that make a difference, besides bed size are of course shower stall vs clawfoot tub. This is something that is very specific for a reason. If all rooms are similar it is not a big deal and we should call rooms a, b and c or 1, 2 and 3.
If you are tall and one room has a high footboard, like a sleigh bed, or one room has more windows vs one on the shady side of the house.

Thanks for the reminder. I had almost forgot to contact a guest and ask her permission to upgrade her due to 2 people wanting the same room on conflicting dates. I immediately remembered after reading the thread.
Have a lovely day!

Differences that make a difference, besides bed size are of course shower stall vs clawfoot tub. This is something that is very specific for a reason. If all rooms are similar it is not a big deal and we should call rooms a, b and c or 1, 2 and 3.
If you are tall and one room has a high footboard, like a sleigh bed, or one room has more windows vs one on the shady side of the house..
Or they like the color scheme. Or they were here before and stayed in that room and want to do it again. Or they were here before and stayed in a different room but saw this room and chose it. I have learned that most people have a reason, and when I once offered an "upgrade" to someone and they hesitated, I realized that I might have offended in some way by giving them something they didn't want to pay for. So I've learned to give them what they asked for if they booked online (which by definition requires them to select a room).

Innbloom you are so right. I am not a fan of wicker, there I said it. My roommate when I was 18 was into wicker and I lost my desire to stay in a room with any garden furniture or wicker. I have kept this secret to myself and I believe many people DO LIKE WICKER.

Innbloom you are so right. I am not a fan of wicker, there I said it. My roommate when I was 18 was into wicker and I lost my desire to stay in a room with any garden furniture or wicker. I have kept this secret to myself and I believe many people DO LIKE WICKER..
Joey Bloggs said:
Innbloom you are so right. I am not a fan of wicker, there I said it. My roommate when I was 18 was into wicker and I lost my desire to stay in a room with any garden furniture or wicker. I have kept this secret to myself and I believe many people DO LIKE WICKER.
I'm not a fan etiher. Don't know why. Just not my thing.
RIki

GREAT reminder!
If you have different types of rooms, there are many reasons why guests book a particular room. This is just one of the reasons why B&Bs get folks that don't want to stay in hotel rooms that are basically all the same. (I would be one of those people!) It's just common courtesy to make sure that the guest is OK with a change, even if in the innkeeper's opinion it's a change for the better. ;-)
I only had this happen on a couple of occasions and the guests were both very nice about making a change (usually to allow someone to have our 2 bedroom suite which was also booked as just a King room) to an "upgraded" room and appreciative that I was trying to work out the best situation for them as well as the other guests.

I stayed at a place once in eastern Ohio and I had booked the cheapest room (for financial reasons) - when I checked in I found I was the only one there (midweek) and the Innkeeper kindly offered that I could stay in any room I wanted. I took the whole tour and ended up staying in the room I picked. It was very cute, had a view of the golf course, sunny (so I knew the sun wouldn't be shining in in the morning!) It was nice to be offered a choice tho - still don't know why it was cheaper - it was a very nice room.

I stayed at a place once in eastern Ohio and I had booked the cheapest room (for financial reasons) - when I checked in I found I was the only one there (midweek) and the Innkeeper kindly offered that I could stay in any room I wanted. I took the whole tour and ended up staying in the room I picked. It was very cute, had a view of the golf course, sunny (so I knew the sun wouldn't be shining in in the morning!) It was nice to be offered a choice tho - still don't know why it was cheaper - it was a very nice room..
suellen222 said:
I stayed at a place once in eastern Ohio and I had booked the cheapest room (for financial reasons) - when I checked in I found I was the only one there (midweek) and the Innkeeper kindly offered that I could stay in any room I wanted. I took the whole tour and ended up staying in the room I picked. It was very cute, had a view of the golf course, sunny (so I knew the sun wouldn't be shining in in the morning!) It was nice to be offered a choice tho - still don't know why it was cheaper - it was a very nice room.
I have to ask this question. If given the different parameters, and choices we all pick style of decor, location on the house, sunset or sunrise etc. If we know in advance, nice she gave you a choice!
I WOULD HANDS DOWN PICK THE ROOM WITH THE SUN COMING IN FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! I laugh when I hear this, am I the only one? I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO HAVE A ROOM with eastern windows for morning sun! ANY THING!!!!
I stayed on a battlefield once and that was my desire to have the sunrise on the battlefield, close the blinds or curtains? NO WAY IN THE WORLD!
Again, just me. I don't have that at home, I would give anything for that. Our rooms with the sunrise always have the blinds closed, and the sunset as well, i feel that guests close the blinds no matter what.

I stayed at a place once in eastern Ohio and I had booked the cheapest room (for financial reasons) - when I checked in I found I was the only one there (midweek) and the Innkeeper kindly offered that I could stay in any room I wanted. I took the whole tour and ended up staying in the room I picked. It was very cute, had a view of the golf course, sunny (so I knew the sun wouldn't be shining in in the morning!) It was nice to be offered a choice tho - still don't know why it was cheaper - it was a very nice room..
suellen222 said:
I have to ask this question. If given the different parameters, and choices we all pick style of decor, location on the house, sunset or sunrise etc. If we know in advance, nice she gave you a choice!
I WOULD HANDS DOWN PICK THE ROOM WITH THE SUN COMING IN FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! I laugh when I hear this, am I the only one? I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO HAVE A ROOM with eastern windows for morning sun! ANY THING!!!!
I stayed on a battlefield once and that was my desire to have the sunrise on the battlefield, close the blinds or curtains? NO WAY IN THE WORLD!
Again, just me. I don't have that at home, I would give anything for that. Our rooms with the sunrise always have the blinds closed, and the sunset as well, i feel that guests close the blinds no matter what.
So, your question is....Are you the only one that wants the sunrise?
I doubt it, but I bet you are a morning person and would prefer going to bed at 9pm, right? I consider myself a night person - I'd rather stay up late and get up late. I have room darkening shades in my room. I am a very light sleeper and any little light or noise will wake me up.
I think the guests close the blinds more for privacy than anything else. Don't want anyone peeking in.
I hope you are planning your new house around the sunrise - it sounds as if you are really passionate about it!

I mark anyone with a special requirement as a Do NOT MOVE as we have all sorts of requirements, ground floor twin, ground floor double, walk in shower, quiet room, room facing the front, room facing the back, (one was a room with a view we face the conference centre which is really quite ugly or on the back view of the car park ,so the choices were limited) and so on. rooms 3,4,7,8 are pretty much the same so can easily be moved between but 10 and 12 have large 4 poster and half tester beds and are usually booked for that feature. It is all a bit of a faff really.

suellen222 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I WOULD HANDS DOWN PICK THE ROOM WITH THE SUN COMING IN FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!
Me, too...and I'd be up to greet the sun with a cup of coffee in hand! Love, love, love my eastern facing windows!
thumbs_up.gif

suellen222 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I WOULD HANDS DOWN PICK THE ROOM WITH THE SUN COMING IN FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!
Me, too...and I'd be up to greet the sun with a cup of coffee in hand! Love, love, love my eastern facing windows!
thumbs_up.gif

Ok ladies I am going to play
devil_smile.gif
's advocate - this is two different scenarios you are presenting. I am all about enjoying the sun streaming in my windows with my morning beverage in hand, but I don't want it shining in my window to wake me up b4 I am ready to have said morning beverage! Capice?

Back