It must be August

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverspoon

Reaction score
I swear...something must happen to people's brains in August that turns them into idiots.
DH is simultaneously checking in two sets of guests, you know, allowing one to get settled in while he orients the other. I am dashing about getting cold drinks, helping with the luggage, collecting the balance due etc. The doorbell rings. Hmmm, not expecting more guests. Who could it be? So there stands this chick, having parked helter skelter and in direct view of our NO VACANCY sign, asking if we could recommend a place for her to stay. HUH? She drove right by the visitor center, not 1/4 mile away and she wants me to talk with her about other places to stay for one night in AUGUST? Amazing. People who do not do their homework ahead of time to visit this popular destination deserve what they get.
I have a feeling it's going to be a LLLLOOOOONNNNGGG month!
cry_smile.gif

ah, but i've been by your place and it is so much calmer than the visitor center. all lush and green and welcoming ... just past all the crazy busy area. surely you can understand the swerve into your lot 'just to ask' ...
wink_smile.gif

ps ... i wanted so much to stop in and say hello, at the worst possible time (around 4pm with NO advance warning) ... restrained myself, but it was tempting.

We're seeing the same sort of August-mania here. Walk-ins asking the price and then looking stunned. I send them to the hotel next door where a caller just told me they are asking $325/night when I suggested they call there for dog friendly accommodations this weekend.
August is meltdown month. It's when everyone realizes 'summer' is almost over and, by gum, they HAVE to take a vacation NOW.
I have a tough time with August. Mentally it is really challenging. It's emotionally draining as well. And, we have 4 family birthdays and I forgot to get a b'day card for my son. Arrrrrrrgh! I'll run out later and pop one in the mail to him.

ah, but i've been by your place and it is so much calmer than the visitor center. all lush and green and welcoming ... just past all the crazy busy area. surely you can understand the swerve into your lot 'just to ask' ...
wink_smile.gif

ps ... i wanted so much to stop in and say hello, at the worst possible time (around 4pm with NO advance warning) ... restrained myself, but it was tempting..
Ahhh, I wondered if that was you THE Seashanty!
welcome.gif
Kindred souls we are! And I very much appreciate your restraint. You know how check-in during the summer goes. But things quiet down soon enough and a quick call to make sure the coast is clear is always appreciated before a visit. Face to face is always fun.

We're seeing the same sort of August-mania here. Walk-ins asking the price and then looking stunned. I send them to the hotel next door where a caller just told me they are asking $325/night when I suggested they call there for dog friendly accommodations this weekend.
August is meltdown month. It's when everyone realizes 'summer' is almost over and, by gum, they HAVE to take a vacation NOW.
I have a tough time with August. Mentally it is really challenging. It's emotionally draining as well. And, we have 4 family birthdays and I forgot to get a b'day card for my son. Arrrrrrrgh! I'll run out later and pop one in the mail to him..
Oh yea, my family knows that I am always late with summer birthday cards. One year I actually bought all the summer-birthday cards in February and got them out in time to arrive before the birthdays. My family was in shock!
wow.gif

It's time for us to unplug the phones within earshot of our bedroom or we won't get any sleep this month. The really desperate ones arrive in the area with no reservations at 11 pm and start calling around to find a room. I have stopped answering the phone and let the no vacancy message take over. There have been about 5 of those hang up calls within the last 3 hours.
August is my birthday month and I refuse to not celebrate with my Leo friends in spite of the difficulty in finding the time and energy. But life goes by, day by day, so next weekend will be party time by hook or by crook.

Oh brother....they are coming out of the woodwork. DH answers the door, 6:30 dinner time, and there are guests who stayed with us in 2009. Renting a cottage in a neighboring town. Wondered if we could recommend a place to have dinner. They had such a nice time in 2009 and loved the places we sent them and especially remember the meal in this one place we sent them.
So why are they renting a cottage in a neighboring town? Good question. Bless DH, he has the patience of an angel. He's making nice, while I had to excuse myself...steam coming out my ears.
I do remember them. They e-mailed me last year and asked if I would recommend a cottage for them to rent. Why would I do that when we have a perfectly lovely B+B with a cottage. Really....they are all daft!

do they KNOW you have a cottage?
slip them a brochure 'for next time .. ' so they can stay at YOUR cottage.

Oh brother....they are coming out of the woodwork. DH answers the door, 6:30 dinner time, and there are guests who stayed with us in 2009. Renting a cottage in a neighboring town. Wondered if we could recommend a place to have dinner. They had such a nice time in 2009 and loved the places we sent them and especially remember the meal in this one place we sent them.
So why are they renting a cottage in a neighboring town? Good question. Bless DH, he has the patience of an angel. He's making nice, while I had to excuse myself...steam coming out my ears.
I do remember them. They e-mailed me last year and asked if I would recommend a cottage for them to rent. Why would I do that when we have a perfectly lovely B+B with a cottage. Really....they are all daft!.
You posted about them!

I do remember them. They e-mailed me last year and asked if I would recommend a cottage for them to rent. Why would I do that when we have a perfectly lovely B+B with a cottage. Really....they are all daft!.
I'd be tempted to say "Go ask the person you are renting the cottage from",

Yep, it's all kicking off here too. Getting 3 - 4 enquiries a day for people wanting room over the next couple of weeks.
I've even had families with babies knocking on the door in August desperate for a room. Surely in that situation you'd book ahead?

We are taking a trip to ME in Sept- we got our reservations in MAY! There was NO way I'd be knocking on a door or making calls from the road trying to figure out where to lay our heads that night. 4 adults, 2 kids, and a partridge in a pear tree. Talk about stressful. I can't imagine having kids and flying by the seat of my pants like that....

We are taking a trip to ME in Sept- we got our reservations in MAY! There was NO way I'd be knocking on a door or making calls from the road trying to figure out where to lay our heads that night. 4 adults, 2 kids, and a partridge in a pear tree. Talk about stressful. I can't imagine having kids and flying by the seat of my pants like that.....
we havn't had much of that thank goodness! think people in the uk realise how few and far between family rooms are. We did however have an irish family door knocking with 2 babies but it was an extenuating circumstance - were renting a house here and all stuff was on a container - container delayed no furniture or anything!

We are taking a trip to ME in Sept- we got our reservations in MAY! There was NO way I'd be knocking on a door or making calls from the road trying to figure out where to lay our heads that night. 4 adults, 2 kids, and a partridge in a pear tree. Talk about stressful. I can't imagine having kids and flying by the seat of my pants like that.....
Penelope said:
We are taking a trip to ME in Sept- we got our reservations in MAY! There was NO way I'd be knocking on a door or making calls from the road trying to figure out where to lay our heads that night. 4 adults, 2 kids, and a partridge in a pear tree. Talk about stressful. I can't imagine having kids and flying by the seat of my pants like that....
Guilty - I knew better but DH was the driver. Due to band competition schedule we were taking the month of August. Daddy ended up in ICU causing the cancel of most of our reservations (did not cancel Boston because I could NEVER get that back). 2 adults and 4 kids in a Jeep Cherokee. 6 PM we were in Albany but HE said it was too early to stop. Of all places to start looking, Lake George. We ended up sleeping in the Jeep near Ft Ticonderoga. NOT a fun night. (I did know enough to only inquire at motels/hotels)

slip them a brochure 'for next time .. ' so they can stay at YOUR cottage..
Of course they know we have a cottage...they were here not long ago and had a wonderful time. That is the strange part, last year (They have spent the last year in Scotland on Sabbatical) when they e-mailed me asking if we could recommend a cottage in an adjacent town to rent, we had plenty of vacancy in our own cottage. So why would I send them someplace else? Anyway, I am over it now....too busy cleaning up the pee all over the bathroom floor in one of the suites. This guest must just sort of point it in the general area of the toilet and lets loose. Disgusting!! I'm not talking a dribble here.....a big yellow puddle. EWWWWW
confused_smile.gif
I wonder who cleans up after him at home?

I'd be tempted to say "Go ask the person you are renting the cottage from",
Well yes, that crossed my mind. DH stepped in and took over before I opened my big fat mouth and told them where to go.

I walked in and DH was on the phone with someone looking for a room for tonight. He GAVE them the phone number for a place that has a couple of rooms but they WOULD NOT hang up. 'What else can you recommend?' I got on the computer and told them the hotels that have avail. (The CHEAP hotels are $200+ this weekend.) And I hear them asking if it's a 'nice' chain hotel?
WHAT??? Here are 2 phone numbers. CALL THEM. And quit running up my phone bill.
He was on the phone for 10 minutes with someone who refused to accept these are the only 2 phone numbers you're getting.

I walked in and DH was on the phone with someone looking for a room for tonight. He GAVE them the phone number for a place that has a couple of rooms but they WOULD NOT hang up. 'What else can you recommend?' I got on the computer and told them the hotels that have avail. (The CHEAP hotels are $200+ this weekend.) And I hear them asking if it's a 'nice' chain hotel?
WHAT??? Here are 2 phone numbers. CALL THEM. And quit running up my phone bill.
He was on the phone for 10 minutes with someone who refused to accept these are the only 2 phone numbers you're getting..
That happened to me a couple of days ago! This guy actually called twice. I told him the website to use and he wanted to keep me on the phone while he was going to the website and figuring it out. I had to tell him to go away (nicely of course)! He was looking for 1 room, 1 night, on a Sat. on the coast and it was 3 days away. Nope, not going to happen! Even the flea bags are full on a Sat night in Aug.

Of course they know we have a cottage...they were here not long ago and had a wonderful time. That is the strange part, last year (They have spent the last year in Scotland on Sabbatical) when they e-mailed me asking if we could recommend a cottage in an adjacent town to rent, we had plenty of vacancy in our own cottage. So why would I send them someplace else? Anyway, I am over it now....too busy cleaning up the pee all over the bathroom floor in one of the suites. This guest must just sort of point it in the general area of the toilet and lets loose. Disgusting!! I'm not talking a dribble here.....a big yellow puddle. EWWWWW
confused_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
confused_smile.gif
potty-mouth.gif
i hate cleaning up pee. something wrong with him??

confused_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
confused_smile.gif
potty-mouth.gif
i hate cleaning up pee. something wrong with him??
As well not being funny but I have a DH,father, ex's, male friends (and I am sure the males on here agree with me) they all managed every single time to weee in the toilet! therefore can't be that difficult!

You posted about them!
I forgot that I had posted here about them. Just went back and looked at the e-mail I sent to them. It seems pretty direct to me. What do you think?
"Thank you for your kind words and continued interest in the XYZ Bed and Breakfast. We actually do have availability for your dates & would be pleased to accommodate you in a suite in the main house for a minimum 3 night stay. We also have vacancy in our ocean-view Cottage for a weekly stay. Please keep in mind that these rates include all linens, daily housekeeping, AC, free WiFi, a full breakfast, the peace and quiet of the Area and of course you have built-in concierge service as we are an owner-occupied property and thus are here to be sure that you make the most of your valuable vacation time while staying with us.
Our registered guests, keep us so busy that, unfortunately, we aren't able to keep up with the current pricing/amenities of private home rentals.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!"

Back