It Was Love at First Bite

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetiePie

Reaction score
After exploring pet fostering I decided it was not the way to go. Besides getting attached to the animal and then having to give it up; you had to cart it to the Adoptathon every weekend. So, I decided it was time to adopt. Buford would not have wanted me to be this sad and unhappy over him.
After perusing 29 pages of adoptable animals I decided on a lab retriever mix named Bones, who looks alot like Buford, He was a pupppy who had been picked up as a stray with a broken leg. I thought it was odd that he had been there since August but chalked it up to his medical problems.
I went down to our shopping center shelter and told the girl I was here to pick up Bones. I had called earlier but she still gave me a strange look. We went to his enclosure and as internet dating often goes, he looked nothing like his picture. He was much bigger now. He started off the date by pooping in his enclosure. They cleaned it up but it still reeked. They he went to one corner and growled at me the whole time. She warned me that he bites, so I didn't even try to pet him. Then he barked and it was deafening. I could tell already that his Marley and Me guy was going to be trouble.
I decided since I was there that I might as well look around. I told Bones, "We're looking." They happened to have another 5 month old lab retriever puppy who had just come in. It was a totally different experience. We bonded immediately. He started out by gently biting my toes and then rolled on his back to get his tummy rubbed.
Bones watched me from his enclosure growling all the time I was filling out the paperwork. I told him, "It could have been you." Once they had the puppy collared and leashed up we went by to say goodbye to Bones and he was still growling and barking at me. I've never had a dog react so negatively to me in my life.
I can tell that Buford2 is going to be a ladies man. We couldn't get out of the shopping mall without people coming up to us and asking if I just adopted him and telling me how cute he is. I expected him to be all over the car on the way home but he just lay down in the back seat and was the perfect little traveler.
When we got home I had his room all set up and he went right to his bed and made himself at home. He eats like a horse so that wasn't a problem. They warned me he wasn't potty trained but not even an accident. I took him outside on a leash and he did his business and slept through the night without a peep. No separation anxiety, nothing.
I thought it was too much to ask for to get another perfect dog, but it looks like I just might have done it again. Buford is smiling.

Oh, I'm so happy for you!!! Please post pics when you get a chance!!

Congrats on the new pup - sounds like a winner! I'm so happy when shelter animals find forever homes.
Gosh, I feel badly for Bones though - some time in the shelter and they haven't worked out his biting problem? I'm a little surprised he is up for adoption. He sounds like he's been abused and is terrified of people, which doesn't make for a good housepet without some significant re-training and TLC.
One of our outdoor kitties was adopted this weekend by one of our guests - he was a part Maine Coon abandoned here last May that we neutered and vaccinated. He was so friendly that I'm sure he wasn't born feral and he'd been greeting guests in our garden with abandon for the last several months. His new owners are smitten.

Congrats on the new pup - sounds like a winner! I'm so happy when shelter animals find forever homes.
Gosh, I feel badly for Bones though - some time in the shelter and they haven't worked out his biting problem? I'm a little surprised he is up for adoption. He sounds like he's been abused and is terrified of people, which doesn't make for a good housepet without some significant re-training and TLC.
One of our outdoor kitties was adopted this weekend by one of our guests - he was a part Maine Coon abandoned here last May that we neutered and vaccinated. He was so friendly that I'm sure he wasn't born feral and he'd been greeting guests in our garden with abandon for the last several months. His new owners are smitten..
What a great story! I love happy endings.

Congrats on your new family member. We stil miss our Sparky and it has been 15 years. With our situation, missing him was best. Mt schedule would never be fair to a pet.

get-attachment.aspx

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}
This isn't great. It doesn't do him justice. It's a scan of the photocopy of his mug shot from the shelter but it will give you an idea.

get-attachment.aspx

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}
This isn't great. It doesn't do him justice. It's a scan of the photocopy of his mug shot from the shelter but it will give you an idea..
I do not get the photo. Boohoo.

I don't want to brag but he can already retrieve a ball. I can't remember when my other dogs learned but it surprised me at this age. Must be the retriever in him.

Congratulations on adopting another 4-legged friend. I hope you have many healthy years together!
I don't want to hijack your thread with a sad note but thought I'd share. We lost our other Cocker Spaniel yesterday (my avatar) at 15 1/2 years old. He was adopted at 11 months. He had been sick for a couple of days and we decided that along with his progressing arthritis, deafness and losing his eyesight that it was time to let him go. My dh had to take him to the vet because I couldn't face it again after losing the 19 year old at the end of May. He was my little buddy after our son went away to college 8 years ago. I kept thinking that I heard him in the house today.....
It will be quite awhile before we get another dog.....hugs to Buford2!

So sorry to hear that Samster. I said I wouldn't get a dog again too, but I couldn't stand it. It was such a big empty space in my life. The reason I got a puppy is that I wanted that sad end stage to be a long way off.

Congratulations on adopting another 4-legged friend. I hope you have many healthy years together!
I don't want to hijack your thread with a sad note but thought I'd share. We lost our other Cocker Spaniel yesterday (my avatar) at 15 1/2 years old. He was adopted at 11 months. He had been sick for a couple of days and we decided that along with his progressing arthritis, deafness and losing his eyesight that it was time to let him go. My dh had to take him to the vet because I couldn't face it again after losing the 19 year old at the end of May. He was my little buddy after our son went away to college 8 years ago. I kept thinking that I heard him in the house today.....
It will be quite awhile before we get another dog.....hugs to Buford2!.
I am so sorry to hear this!
cry_smile.gif
Hugs to you and your husband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get the pic either, is it a link I can cut and paste?
Samster, so sorry to hear of your loss. My sister was visiting a few weeks ago with her cocker spaniel and he was just the sweetest little buddy...I know your lap will miss being warmed by your friend. I hope time helps ease the grief for you.

I am so sorry.

Sorry Samster
cry_smile.gif
These things are never easy.

I don't want to brag but he can already retrieve a ball. I can't remember when my other dogs learned but it surprised me at this age. Must be the retriever in him..
Congratulations on the new pup.
I don't want to brag but he can already retrieve a ball. I can't remember when my other dogs learned but it surprised me at this age.
I think labs come out of the womb with complete ability to pick something up and bring it to humans. It is such a strong drive in them it is almost comical. Our Lab is incapable of geeting me at the door without something in his mouth. IF all his toys are unavailable, he will pace around looking for something he can bring to me ....anything...water bottle, box, magazine, baby toys, pillow. My favorite was when the pantry door was ajar and he grabbed a full beer bottle out of the case in time to meet me at the door.... It was his best retrieve ever LOL

I don't get the pic either, is it a link I can cut and paste?
Samster, so sorry to hear of your loss. My sister was visiting a few weeks ago with her cocker spaniel and he was just the sweetest little buddy...I know your lap will miss being warmed by your friend. I hope time helps ease the grief for you..
I don't have your email address. Email Gilliam House. I sent her a copy and ask her to forward it to you.

I don't want to brag but he can already retrieve a ball. I can't remember when my other dogs learned but it surprised me at this age. Must be the retriever in him..
Congratulations on the new pup.
I don't want to brag but he can already retrieve a ball. I can't remember when my other dogs learned but it surprised me at this age.
I think labs come out of the womb with complete ability to pick something up and bring it to humans. It is such a strong drive in them it is almost comical. Our Lab is incapable of geeting me at the door without something in his mouth. IF all his toys are unavailable, he will pace around looking for something he can bring to me ....anything...water bottle, box, magazine, baby toys, pillow. My favorite was when the pantry door was ajar and he grabbed a full beer bottle out of the case in time to meet me at the door.... It was his best retrieve ever LOL
swirt said:
he grabbed a full beer bottle out of the case in time to meet me at the door.... It was his best retrieve ever LOL
Now that's a story I can use to convince my DH to get a lab when we're in the right place for one.

Back