"It wasn't on your website"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that unless you state that you are ADA compliant you do not have to follow the regs. In some states you HAVE to be ADA compliant if you have more than X rooms
Example: I have a ground floor cottage, I state that it is accessible but that is is not ADA compliant. ie I don't have the wide doors, the handicap bars next to toilet, the hearing-impaired smoke detectors etc.
I am reasonably certain there is a difference between being structurally compliant and the law as it applies to service animals. The document makes it pretty clear that there are very few loop-holes on this one.
Fortunately I am pet friendly so not affected by that issue, however I am NOT ADA compliant for sight impaired guests, so the 2 go hand in hand ... but I will look into the details... sometime
however I am NOT ADA compliant for sight impaired guests, so the 2 go hand in hand
You are mistaking what you "provide" with what you "can restrict." When you actually take the time to read it, you will get to the second line.
attorney general said:
We have found that many businesses across the country have prohibited individuals with disabilities who use service animals from entering their premises, in many instances because of ignorance or confusion about the animal's appropriate use.
My intent is not to change your mind. Only to clarify for others who asked for answers. Service animal regs are not something you can choose to opt into. You are in, and are very limited in the ways you can opt out.

can you/did you move them?
i guess it should be stated. something like, 'please note. guests with service animals and/or pets occasionally stay at the xyz b&b. when they do, they stay in this room. please take this into consideration when planning your stay.'
i am wondering though about service animals. i've had them here in three different rooms, i really wanted them to use one room in particular.
endless, endless ......
seashanty said:
i guess it should be stated. something like, 'please note. guests with service animals and/or pets occasionally stay at the xyz b&b. when they do, they stay in this room. please take this into consideration when planning your stay.'
i am wondering though about service animals. i've had them here in three different rooms, i really wanted them to use one room in particular.
endless, endless .....
I would NOT mention service animals being at the inn. I DO state that we have a dog and guests with allergies or fears need to let us know that in advance.
I did not move her because she doesn't have dog allergies.
I'm staying at a B&B next month and there was really no mention of the inn pet on their website. I found their blog link which mentions their pet and how it's allowed in all the common areas. I will have to bring my allergy medicine. It was not obvious.
Samster said:
I'm staying at a B&B next month and there was really no mention of the inn pet on their website. I found their blog link which mentions their pet and how it's allowed in all the common areas. I will have to bring my allergy medicine. It was not obvious.
I overheard guests last weekend ask on day 2 if this person had bad allergies yet? He said, not at all, I can't even tell there are pets here.
I went into the kitchen and did my usual "ugh" and said to myeself "Have you seen the pets in the guest areas? NO!"
But some guests REALLY want to see the pets and I tell them although they are not allergic others are, and of course certain pet - with my name, gets quite offended by that. She charges around on the porch and out back so anyone who wants to see her can.
I had the lady leave on the second day of her stay as she was petrified of cats and was scared that she MIGHT see one here. Hate to tell her outside this door there are plenty of cats in this town. They live here too!
I am one of those guests who actually like to see owners pets.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
I overheard guests last weekend ask on day 2 if this person had bad allergies yet? He said, not at all, I can't even tell there are pets here.
I went into the kitchen and did my usual "ugh" and said to myeself "Have you seen the pets in the guest areas? NO!"
But some guests REALLY want to see the pets and I tell them although they are not allergic others are, and of course certain pet - with my name, gets quite offended by that. She charges around on the porch and out back so anyone who wants to see her can.
I had the lady leave on the second day of her stay as she was petrified of cats and was scared that she MIGHT see one here. Hate to tell her outside this door there are plenty of cats in this town. They live here too!
For these reasons, I do not see where many websites state the owners have pets. I know they do, I've seen the pets. But the pets do not go into the inn, ever, so the innkeepers do not mention them. My dog wanders around when there are no guests here so if someone has a severe allergy, I don't want them getting sick here.
HOWEVER, dog/cat dander could come from a previous guest's clothing as well. And it might be far worse than if my dog just wandered thru the rooms.
Your guests expressing that they didn't even know there were pets in the house are simply reveling in the fact that they aren't suffering, like they do elsewhere. I know it sounds like a slur on your housekeeping ('I'm AMAZED the place is so clean!!!') but try not to take it to heart. They probably don't know there are kids, either, or your barmy aunt in the attic!

endless, endless ......
seashanty said:
endless, endless .....
I would NOT mention service animals being at the inn. I DO state that we have a dog and guests with allergies or fears need to let us know that in advance.
Samster said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
For these reasons, I do not see where many websites state the owners have pets. I know they do, I've seen the pets. But the pets do not go into the inn, ever, so the innkeepers do not mention them. My dog wanders around when there are no guests here so if someone has a severe allergy, I don't want them getting sick here.
HOWEVER, dog/cat dander could come from a previous guest's clothing as well. And it might be far worse than if my dog just wandered thru the rooms.
Your guests expressing that they didn't even know there were pets in the house are simply reveling in the fact that they aren't suffering, like they do elsewhere. I know it sounds like a slur on your housekeeping ('I'm AMAZED the place is so clean!!!') but try not to take it to heart. They probably don't know there are kids, either, or your barmy aunt in the attic!
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
I have two thoughts on this subject. #1) We are humans, we have lives, we love our pets, we pet our pets, we walk our pets, so we will have dander or fur on us to some extent. If a person is that highly allergic they need to stay home and away from the world or like Samster mentioned, bring some antihistamine just in case.
I work hard to keep all pet fur, dander, litter, fur balls, etc out of the guest areas, but like mentioned this is our home.
#2) Sometimes innkeepers make it UN-homelike - we can go overboard and forget WHY guests like to stay in B&B's in the first place! Does that make sense? We DO live here, that is my junk out there in the guest areas, and it is not a hospital or even a spa or high end lodging. Just a regular place with a regular family. We have many first time B&B goers who are nervous to stay in a B&B, and when they find a casual atmosphere they relax and enjoy it. I don't know many who want stuffiness. I mentioned a couple who arrived in suits with brief cases from a southern state. I thought they were Jehovah's Witnesses at my door. Guests (unless for business) don't arrive here this way!
So all that to say, we can state it but not go over board. We live here, we have pets. How many times have guests asked me lately "Do you live here?" There must be an insurgence of non-innkeeper manned B&B's of late. Maybe they all had to take second jobs!

endless, endless ......
seashanty said:
endless, endless .....
Samster said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
or your barmy aunt in the attic!
Shhhh!! I got out of the attic! I am in the basement now! Don't tell!!

Not sure if that was for me, what I was saying is that being pet friendly, I never turn away animals, service or otherwise.However if I was ever asked do I have ADA compliant rooms, I would have to say no because I am not. (am I missing something?)

Back