"It wasn't on your website"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Heaven help me. Just got a call from someone who tells me it's not on my website that we take pets in the room they chose. They 'just found it' in the confirmation. Of course there are allergies.

can you/did you move them?
i guess it should be stated. something like, 'please note. guests with service animals and/or pets occasionally stay at the xyz b&b. when they do, they stay in this room. please take this into consideration when planning your stay.'
i am wondering though about service animals. i've had them here in three different rooms, i really wanted them to use one room in particular.
endless, endless .....

i guess it should be stated. something like, 'please note. guests with service animals and/or pets occasionally stay at the xyz b&b. when they do, they stay in this room. please take this into consideration when planning your stay.'
i am wondering though about service animals. i've had them here in three different rooms, i really wanted them to use one room in particular.
endless, endless ......
seashanty said:
endless, endless .....
I would NOT mention service animals being at the inn. I DO state that we have a dog and guests with allergies or fears need to let us know that in advance.
I did not move her because she doesn't have dog allergies.

I have on my main page that we are a pet friendly location. Had one guest who checked in who went off that she could die etc etc. I mentioned we had a very good hospital nearby. She survived very well thank you very much

I have on my main page that we are a pet friendly location. Had one guest who checked in who went off that she could die etc etc. I mentioned we had a very good hospital nearby. She survived very well thank you very much.
I've had that, too, luckily before arrival. Guest booked the room they always had, PO's also took pets in that room. Guest reads confirm about pet room, calls and cancels. Accuses us of ruining his vacation by 'changing the policies'. 'PO's NEVER took pets, they didn't allow animals of any kind.'
Excuse me? PO's HAD pets of their own and DID take pets, they just NEVER mentioned it.
My belief is they did not know the inn had been sold and decided not to take a chance on us.

Ruined their vacation, some people really need to get a life LOL!!
Reminds me of the other day when I was working "my other job" Doing dining resv for a theme-park-I-shall-not-name ... guest called me just as they were leaving the park, tells me "son is TRAUMATIZED because he did not get to see Mickey" and they need to make dining resas NOW for the next trip..... Hmm lets say, how about just being grateful that he just just had a great vacation??

Reminds me of the other day when I was working "my other job" Doing dining resv for a theme-park-I-shall-not-name ... guest called me just as they were leaving the park, tells me "son is TRAUMATIZED because he did not get to see Mickey" and they need to make dining resas NOW for the next trip..... Hmm lets say, how about just being grateful that he just just had a great vacation??.
10 to 1 says if the kid did get to see Mickey he would have started crying and hid under the table when Micky got within 10 feet of him. LOL

Reminds me of the other day when I was working "my other job" Doing dining resv for a theme-park-I-shall-not-name ... guest called me just as they were leaving the park, tells me "son is TRAUMATIZED because he did not get to see Mickey" and they need to make dining resas NOW for the next trip..... Hmm lets say, how about just being grateful that he just just had a great vacation??.
10 to 1 says if the kid did get to see Mickey he would have started crying and hid under the table when Micky got within 10 feet of him. LOL
swirt said:
reminds me of one of my favorite ads...

swirt said:
reminds me of one of my favorite ads...
I love that baby...those are some of THE best ads...

had a reservation made by one family member who did not take in consideration of another family member with her who walked in the house telling us she was allergic to cats, saw our cats, went to the room to use the bathroom, came back down and said she couldn't stay cuz she was already starting to get a reaction. Cancelled the reservation and went to a local hotel... which was in her best interest... hope she survived the trip... the others in her party smoked and she had multiple food allergies. She was just a "not well" kind of person. Saved us another trip to the grocery store to get the things she could eat.

Are B & B's require to accept service animals? I have never had one and never thought of it until now. We don't allow pets in the rooms due to guest allergies.

Are B & B's require to accept service animals? I have never had one and never thought of it until now. We don't allow pets in the rooms due to guest allergies..
oceans said:
Are B & B's require to accept service animals? I have never had one and never thought of it until now. We don't allow pets in the rooms due to guest allergies.
Do a search here on 'service animals'. We've discussed this to death. You really need to check the gov't page for the full details. I think Swirt posted that link on the service animals thread. The short answer is 'yes'. But, please, before you start saying how you can't, won't, have allergies, etc, read the thread!
I'm having problems with my browser, but if you click above on 'Resources' then 'Legal' you'll see the link for the ADA requirements.

endless, endless ......
seashanty said:
endless, endless .....
I would NOT mention service animals being at the inn. I DO state that we have a dog and guests with allergies or fears need to let us know that in advance.
I'm staying at a B&B next month and there was really no mention of the inn pet on their website. I found their blog link which mentions their pet and how it's allowed in all the common areas. I will have to bring my allergy medicine. It was not obvious.

endless, endless ......
seashanty said:
endless, endless .....
I'm staying at a B&B next month and there was really no mention of the inn pet on their website. I found their blog link which mentions their pet and how it's allowed in all the common areas. I will have to bring my allergy medicine. It was not obvious.
I can see where guests might miss that I have a dog. I don't blast that all over because the dog 'stays home'. It IS in the email confirm, just in case anyone is afraid, because the dog does wander around ocassionally (usually if we forget to close our door she'll come looking for us).
But the pet friendly room is another thing altogether. It's in the bulleted list, the additional fee is right there, it's on the online booking in several places including the policies.
Hey, remember I stayed at a place that let the birds fly around the dining room during breakfast. Now THAT was nowhere on the website! And I am both allergic AND afraid!

My understanding is that unless you state that you are ADA compliant you do not have to follow the regs. In some states you HAVE to be ADA compliant if you have more than X rooms
Example: I have a ground floor cottage, I state that it is accessible but that is is not ADA compliant. ie I don't have the wide doors, the handicap bars next to toilet, the hearing-impaired smoke detectors etc

My understanding is that unless you state that you are ADA compliant you do not have to follow the regs. In some states you HAVE to be ADA compliant if you have more than X rooms
Example: I have a ground floor cottage, I state that it is accessible but that is is not ADA compliant. ie I don't have the wide doors, the handicap bars next to toilet, the hearing-impaired smoke detectors etc.
I am reasonably certain there is a difference between being structurally compliant and the law as it applies to service animals. The document makes it pretty clear that there are very few loop-holes on this one.

Example: I have a ground floor cottage, I state that it is accessible but that is is not ADA compliant. ie I don't have the wide doors, the handicap bars next to toilet, the hearing-impaired smoke detectors etc.
I am reasonably certain there is a difference between being structurally compliant and the law as it applies to service animals. The document makes it pretty clear that there are very few loop-holes on this one.
Fortunately I am pet friendly so not affected by that issue, however I am NOT ADA compliant for sight impaired guests, so the 2 go hand in hand ... but I will look into the details... sometime

Fortunately I am pet friendly so not affected by that issue, however I am NOT ADA compliant for sight impaired guests, so the 2 go hand in hand ... but I will look into the details... sometime
agoodman1963 said:
Follow the links in Swirt's post...not every service animal is for a blind person. Some are for hearing-impaired or other issues.

endless, endless ......
seashanty said:
endless, endless .....
Samster said:
I overheard guests last weekend ask on day 2 if this person had bad allergies yet? He said, not at all, I can't even tell there are pets here.
I went into the kitchen and did my usual "ugh" and said to myeself "Have you seen the pets in the guest areas? NO!"
But some guests REALLY want to see the pets and I tell them although they are not allergic others are, and of course certain pet - with my name, gets quite offended by that. She charges around on the porch and out back so anyone who wants to see her can.
I had the lady leave on the second day of her stay as she was petrified of cats and was scared that she MIGHT see one here. Hate to tell her outside this door there are plenty of cats in this town. They live here too!
I am one of those guests who actually like to see owners pets.

Back