Itch Your Niche

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is some thoughts about "niche"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niche_market

NW BB said:
I think you do have your niche. Unfortunately, I don't think it's being delivered on your website. I know that you are currently working on your website, so I won't give any specifics until/unless asked later on.
regular_smile.gif
Who was this reply to?

KNK and NW, did I answer your question or am I still missing what you are asking? I truly am trying to answer the question you are asking.
I looked around to see what I had to offer. There was an inn in Fairmont when I opened but they did nothing regarding marketing the rail-trail until I talked them into - yes, that is what happened, I had to CONVINCE them - doing an inn-to-inn using the rail-trail between us. We did a brochure that promoted both inns (one fold each), we did ads in a hiking/biking specific newsprint magazine, and had it on our web sites. I also plowed the fields of writers and the article in the Pittsburgh Sunday travel section brought us business for several years (one article). I also wrote articles about the rail-trail and the package or just about the rail-trail that were printed in other publications
When the inn-to-inn ended I looked around and I had a berry farm so the inn-to-inn became the Bike N Berry. They ended that end of their operation (without borthering to tell me by the way I found out when I checked about a rez I had just booked) and did a scramble coming up with the winery who was willing. THAT has really taken off and there is about 35 miles distance between us. The biking publication and a newsprint wine/travel publication from the DC area were my avenues to market this.
With the horse overnights I put it on my web site where it sat for about 18 months beforethe first call and she told me places to list. From then on, I was rolling. I also advertise in small equine publications (regional about 100 to 150 miles from here) and horse club newsletters.
I was trying to help jump-start a new inn at the bottom (in more ways than one) of our State and created the motocycle inn-to-inn and managed to get that on Speed Channel (they filmed the package with Chris Carr - a famous motorcycle racer). THAT package seems to have a flaw as it has not done what I had hoped - probably price, but it got me publicity. There is a motorcycle event in Morgantown and I am listed as a lodging from their web page and I also have on my web site about day rides where they will not cross the same piece of pavement twice.
I have routings to take people to covered bridges - on my web site - and that has been picked up by things like Frommer's as a best leaf tour.
Is this more what you have been asking?.
I don't think I know for sure. It sounds like it, because it's something you do exclusively. Are you known for these things? Is it your brand?
We do a very popular Perfect Three Way Stay and a Triple Stay and Play with other inns and it is really popular. I don't think of that as our niche, but in some ways it is unique.
We are going to do a package with more than one island this year ( I think) and we expect it to do well, but I don't think it is our niche.
You are known for your horse connections and only you do that. I think of that as a niche. A very focused thing that brands you
wink_smile.gif
to the horses.
GH- I am interested in how others define niche. We heard from NW and it would be interesting to hear more about how they teach about niche in the seminars and the like.
In my Aspiring classes I define niche as what you are good at doing and enjoy AND/OR using what is available in your area.
I do not brand the horses as part of my business even though it is something only I do because it is dependent on another entity and if they pull the plug, it is history. I am in town and not about to build a stable even if I had the land and permits.
I also preach do not not hang all your hopes and dreams on one hook. A diversified clientelle is best because trends change, trail conditions change - I have a washed out washout currently that I have been able to "work around" so far but it will have an impact if it does not get fixed soon. It needs a bridge that FEMA said cost too much for the first bid so plans had to be reworked and rebid. So far it is the winery that is drawing more than the bike part.
From what you say, you are also diversified. Remember, one horse can only be ridden so long and it gets tired and needs to be re-tired. It lasts much longer if you are riding several horses.
I think if niche marketing as marketing to a particular group but having multiple niches that compliment each other. Example NW's romance would not hold up long if there were a bunch of rugrats running around. My niches can co-exist.
gillumhouse said:
In my Aspiring classes I define niche as what you are good at doing and enjoy AND/OR using what is available in your area. ...
I also preach do not not hang all your hopes and dreams on one hook. A diversified clientelle is best because trends change, trail conditions change - ...
Remember, one horse can only be ridden so long and it gets tired and needs to be re-tired. It lasts much longer if you are riding several horses.
I think if niche marketing as marketing to a particular group but having multiple niches that compliment each other. ...
Thanks sooo much for saying that. I have always thought and market using multiple marketing trends. Having A nich and only marketing to that nich only reduces your potential customer draw.
That's why we are here in Charlottesville. Several niches. Wine, history, university, mounain trails with hiking and scenic drives. Leaves turning in the fall.
Riki
egoodell said:
That's why we are here in Charlottesville. Several niches. Wine, history, university, mounain trails with hiking and scenic drives. Leaves turning in the fall.
Riki
AMEN TO THAT! LEAF PEEPERS - BRING EM ON! That is our busiest month. Bikers, Hikers, Romantics, Foreigners, love the leaves.

KNK and NW, did I answer your question or am I still missing what you are asking? I truly am trying to answer the question you are asking.
I looked around to see what I had to offer. There was an inn in Fairmont when I opened but they did nothing regarding marketing the rail-trail until I talked them into - yes, that is what happened, I had to CONVINCE them - doing an inn-to-inn using the rail-trail between us. We did a brochure that promoted both inns (one fold each), we did ads in a hiking/biking specific newsprint magazine, and had it on our web sites. I also plowed the fields of writers and the article in the Pittsburgh Sunday travel section brought us business for several years (one article). I also wrote articles about the rail-trail and the package or just about the rail-trail that were printed in other publications
When the inn-to-inn ended I looked around and I had a berry farm so the inn-to-inn became the Bike N Berry. They ended that end of their operation (without borthering to tell me by the way I found out when I checked about a rez I had just booked) and did a scramble coming up with the winery who was willing. THAT has really taken off and there is about 35 miles distance between us. The biking publication and a newsprint wine/travel publication from the DC area were my avenues to market this.
With the horse overnights I put it on my web site where it sat for about 18 months beforethe first call and she told me places to list. From then on, I was rolling. I also advertise in small equine publications (regional about 100 to 150 miles from here) and horse club newsletters.
I was trying to help jump-start a new inn at the bottom (in more ways than one) of our State and created the motocycle inn-to-inn and managed to get that on Speed Channel (they filmed the package with Chris Carr - a famous motorcycle racer). THAT package seems to have a flaw as it has not done what I had hoped - probably price, but it got me publicity. There is a motorcycle event in Morgantown and I am listed as a lodging from their web page and I also have on my web site about day rides where they will not cross the same piece of pavement twice.
I have routings to take people to covered bridges - on my web site - and that has been picked up by things like Frommer's as a best leaf tour.
Is this more what you have been asking?.
I think you do have your niche. Unfortunately, I don't think it's being delivered on your website. I know that you are currently working on your website, so I won't give any specifics until/unless asked later on.
regular_smile.gif

Edited: oops, this was directed to Guillam House

Back