It's 4 am and I'm a security guard

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
I'm up at 4 a.m. because a bunch of drunk young people came in from some watering hole and are disturbing a few guests (and waking up me and my wife). After an hour, I've got them pretty much shut down (after many angry stares and two dressing downs). Was inches from kicking them out in the middle of the night. Thankfully they leave in the morning and will never be back.
Now I'm wide awake and won't go back to sleep.
God help them if they give me any grief at checkout.

Talk loudly. Their hangovers will hurt and they'll get the heck out.
Sorry to hear you missed some sleep. Hate when that happens to me!

Ouch. Although for less challenging reasons, we are occasionally pulled out of our rhythm and it is one of the most physically disruptive things an innkeeper can face.

I'm also thinking I'm glad we didn't buy the place in Stowe we looked at. Imagining it might, at times, be a similar crowd.

Usually a happy camper in the am, but heaven help those that mess with my sleep and the sleep of my preferred guests!
Hope you can find time in your day to get a little shut eye.

We had the problem twice, once it was college students for spring break and once for New Years Eve.
For the college student, I told them they would need to quiet down or they would be paying for the stays of other unhappy guests. For the new years people, I warned them that I would call the cops and call their friends that they had invited on to the property as trespassers. In both cases, it seemed to do the trick. But I realize that it will happen again.

Sorry to hear you missed some sleep. Hate when that happens to me!.
Was rattling the dishes and pans loudly as soon as our regular guests were up and about. And I decided to have housekeeping vacuum the hallways outside their rooms early and often. Fed only 3 of the group of 11. At 9:30 am, I shut it down.
Don't screw with a hillbilly.

Sorry to hear you missed some sleep. Hate when that happens to me!.
Was rattling the dishes and pans loudly as soon as our regular guests were up and about. And I decided to have housekeeping vacuum the hallways outside their rooms early and often. Fed only 3 of the group of 11. At 9:30 am, I shut it down.
PhineasSwann said:
The vacuum is a powerful weapon!

I have on my check in registration form for nights like new years that I make everyone read and sign - if I have to discount due to excessive noise for unhappy guests in other rooms that discount will be added to your bill, plus any extra time taken to clean your room due to excessive mess will also be charged.

I asked a group to quiet down one time. After midnight. But they had the whole house so I couldn't pretend it was for the other guests. I just told them the party is over. (It was a wedding. I couldn't think of an excuse, but I wanted to sleep.)

I asked a group to quiet down one time. After midnight. But they had the whole house so I couldn't pretend it was for the other guests. I just told them the party is over. (It was a wedding. I couldn't think of an excuse, but I wanted to sleep.).
You don't need an excuse! It's your house and your rules

We ask many questions when we get New Yrs bookings and try to work out their plans.... If they are partying they don't get in at all. Its one of my danger times where I am more careful. In Aus we have schoolies which is 7 days when 18 yr olds go away and get drunk and stupid (maybe this is like springbreak?) on this week I ask questions and make sure an adult is coming.
Saying that I had last yr a group book all three cottages for accommodation for a wedding closeby.... One boy (I call him boy because when I spoke to him he was very young experience wise probably about 21 though) kicked out 3 of the balustrade pickets on our verandah.
The lady who booked made him ring and speak to me. I asked him how it happened he made up some rot but stuttered all the way through the excuse - I told him it looked to us like they had been kicked.
I could have fixed it for cheaper ;) ...... but I didn't as they were not all together - rather 3 spaced apart like kicked or kneed in anger while walking along. So I charged him $150 as the paint alone was 2 different colors.
I was pleased though to get an admission and the money......

Back