It's a miracle

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
Apart from re-decorating our dining room with coffee yesterday morning, our Spanish guests left us another "gift". Went to clean one of their rooms and there's large black marks on the carpet down the side of the bed. Big blobs about the size of a £2 coins, with long streaks between them. I was incandescent.
Of course it would happen on a day we had all rooms changing over and had arranged lunch with friends. I tried everything I could think of, 1001, vanish carpet spray, ran my vax machine over it repeatedly, even poured neat fairy liquid on it. Nothing, didn't shift it an iota.
So had to leave it, and when I checked people in yesterday pointed it out and apologized.
DH and I where considering cutting the carpet out and then replacing it with a piece from inside the walk in cupboard, but I though I'll have a look on the interne first.
WD-40: Sprayed it, rubbed it with kitchen towel, came straight out. Couldn't believe my eyes. I'm one very happy bunny right now.

Bless the internet for ideas on how to get things clean or fixed with products you probably already have. Never lets me down!

Yes, W-D40 works for a ton of things!!
So does hair spray!! Yes hairspray!! Hair spray gets out car grease (the black thick gooey stuff), permanent marker, ink, and a ton of other things!!

Yes, W-D40 works for a ton of things!!
So does hair spray!! Yes hairspray!! Hair spray gets out car grease (the black thick gooey stuff), permanent marker, ink, and a ton of other things!!.
What made it all the more bizarre was that I literally got down on my hands and knees yesterday, poured neat washing up liquid on it and scrubbed with a scrubbing brush which had absolutely no effect.
And yet today I sprayed with wd-40, rubbed it with kitchen towel and it came right out with no effort at all.
I was just telling this story to a friend / fellow B&B owner.
He was telling me that a few months ago we had a windy night and his letter box kept tapping, it was driving him mad so he got up in the night and cello-taped it down. Only problem was in the morning when he took the tape of all the gum stayed on all over his letter box. Tried everything to get it off until someone suggested wd-40, he said he sprayed it on, wiped it off, all gone.

WD-40 is great for removing price labels and "made in china" labels from new items you buy. It cuts the adhesives better than anything else I've ever seen.

We spray WD-40 on a microfiber cloth and it cleans our stainless steel appliances like magic! No finger prints or streaks in sight.

WD-40 is great for removing price labels and "made in china" labels from new items you buy. It cuts the adhesives better than anything else I've ever seen..
Arkansawyer said:
WD-40 is great for removing price labels and "made in china" labels from new items you buy. It cuts the adhesives better than anything else I've ever seen.
Don't remind me! I just saw some Dan River Fabrics and it had this big boastful note on the front "since 1927"...or whatever. and below that "Made in China"

We spray WD-40 on a microfiber cloth and it cleans our stainless steel appliances like magic! No finger prints or streaks in sight..
Silverspoon said:
We spray WD-40 on a microfiber cloth and it cleans our stainless steel appliances like magic! No finger prints or streaks in sight.
I was once told to use baby oil for that, it does work, but leaves an odd smell. Doesn't wd40 do the same?

I know on a lot of the modern kitchen counter tops these days they recommend giving them an occasional coat of mineral oil, which doesn't develop a rancid odor like vegetable oil, and it doesn't have the WD-40 smell either. But I'm sure WD-40 is better for removing adhesives and for oiling squeaks!

If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use WD-40. If it moves and isn't supposed to, use Duct Tape.
LOL! One of my favorite sayings. How true!

We spray WD-40 on a microfiber cloth and it cleans our stainless steel appliances like magic! No finger prints or streaks in sight..
Silverspoon said:
I was once told to use baby oil for that, it does work, but leaves an odd smell. Doesn't wd40 do the same?
Nope, we just spray a little on a cloth and it works perfectly, with no residue or smell. I would not us WD40 on a surface that came in contact with food, but for the oven door and microwave door it works like a charm.

Back