It's finally happened

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pita.gif
Let us know how it turns out.....
if i were you .... no,
no ... to clarify
... if this were happening to me in my innkeeping days, the mom with children would show up, as in 'i never received any messages from you that we had no reservation.' and i would look at their sorry faces and feel miffed but sorry for them. i would then pile all three in a bed, or two in a bed and pull the pathetic fold-a-bed into the room, and i would say ' i have to charge for the extra person in the room. ' and the mom would be miffed at me for the extra charge. never mind that i would not have believed a word of 'we never got any message from you' ... never mind that i was going against my own policy in letting them stay ...
could turn out okay, could turn out 'yucky' .........
so ... i'm wondering what really happened at your place.
That's what I feared, too, seashanty. Along with Dad showing up and going postal because we cancelled them.
But here's what happened. I wasn't home this morning when Dad called because I had to take my elderly mom to the doctor. (Thank goodness!) DH took the call, and Dad was not happy, but DH stood his ground. Dad finally allowed as how maybe a B&B wasn't the best place for them to be booking. (So sorry, guys, if that means they won't be coming YOUR way).
regular_smile.gif

Turns out Mom was coming to town for a conference. DH is still wondering who was supposed to watch the kids during the conference (but he didn't ask).
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

And probably the part that irks me the most is that I was turning myself inside out to accomodate this special diet and it turns out to be a 6-yr-old who I'm guessing wouldn't eat three bites of anything put in front of her anyway!
InnBloom said:
Turns out Mom was coming to town for a conference. DH is still wondering who was supposed to watch the kids during the conference (but he didn't ask).

And probably the part that irks me the most is that I was turning myself inside out to accomodate this special diet and it turns out to be a 6-yr-old who I'm guessing wouldn't eat three bites of anything put in front of her anyway!
Worse yet, likely a child with autism... how the heck can you leave a child with autism unsupervised for even a minute?!?!?!
Worse yet, likely a child with autism... how the heck can you leave a child with autism unsupervised for even a minute ?!?!?!
for goodness sake ... they don't know that the child would be left unsupervised.
i just have to say this ... because i seem to read near panic in your response quoting your ?!?!?!
autistic children and people are as varied as eyeglass prescriptions. the spectrum is so wide. i have personal knowledge of autism and many will sit quietly, reading, drawing, working, they make no trouble whatsoever, you'd hardly know they were there. please don't think you're going to see out of control outbursts and erratic behavior from every autistic person.
and the GFCF diet is not just for autism.
http://gfcf.com/gfcfdietandhealth/gfcf-diet-and-health.html
seashanty said:
Worse yet, likely a child with autism... how the heck can you leave a child with autism unsupervised for even a minute ?!?!?!
for goodness sake ... they don't know that the child would be left unsupervised.
i just have to say this ... because i seem to read near panic in your response quoting your ?!?!?!
autistic children and people are as varied as eyeglass prescriptions. the spectrum is so wide. i have personal knowledge of autism and many will sit quietly, reading, drawing, working, they make no trouble whatsoever, you'd hardly know they were there. please don't think you're going to see out of control outbursts and erratic behavior from every autistic person.
[/quote]
Just to add, I don't think anyone insinuated an out of control child with outbursts, although that is a possibility of course with any child, but a child with autism may not respond to strangers well if even at all, or in a strange environment if left alone. The family are the link to the child.
The point is we have policies for a reason, we need to stick to them. Bend them if it is in our favor, meaning we can work things out for everyone at the inn, we have the overview of all the guests who will be here, a single room does not.

[/QUOTE]
Joey Bloggs said:
Just to add, I don't think anyone insinuated an out of control child with outbursts, although that is a possibility of course with any child, but a child with autism may not respond to strangers well if even at all, or in a strange environment if left alone. The family are the link to the child.
The point is we have policies for a reason, we need to stick to them. Bend them if it is in our favor, meaning we can work things out for everyone at the inn, we have the overview of all the guests who will be here, a single room does not.
Don't know the child at all, for all we know the child might be the nicest child and quietest child in the world. But policies are in place for a reason. It should a lack of respect to not read the polices and not follow the policies, but to specifically violate them by saying you have two in the room and bringing three?
We had it happen to us earlier this year... a couple asked us for two cribs for the room for their infant twins... when we don't take children under 7 and the room is maximum occupancy of 3.

pita.gif
Let us know how it turns out.....
if i were you .... no,
no ... to clarify
... if this were happening to me in my innkeeping days, the mom with children would show up, as in 'i never received any messages from you that we had no reservation.' and i would look at their sorry faces and feel miffed but sorry for them. i would then pile all three in a bed, or two in a bed and pull the pathetic fold-a-bed into the room, and i would say ' i have to charge for the extra person in the room. ' and the mom would be miffed at me for the extra charge. never mind that i would not have believed a word of 'we never got any message from you' ... never mind that i was going against my own policy in letting them stay ...
could turn out okay, could turn out 'yucky' .........
so ... i'm wondering what really happened at your place.
That's what I feared, too, seashanty. Along with Dad showing up and going postal because we cancelled them.
But here's what happened. I wasn't home this morning when Dad called because I had to take my elderly mom to the doctor. (Thank goodness!) DH took the call, and Dad was not happy, but DH stood his ground. Dad finally allowed as how maybe a B&B wasn't the best place for them to be booking. (So sorry, guys, if that means they won't be coming YOUR way).
regular_smile.gif

InnBloom said:

Worse yet, likely a child with autism... how the heck can you leave a child with autism unsupervised for even a minute?!?!?!

[/QUOTE]
A man who is famous in his "world" (not the usualcelebrity) and his wife stayed here with their 2 boys. They cam in thier RV. His wife came in to tell me (I had been made aware of the autism of the younger boy in advance) the boy sometimes had "issues" and would not leave the RV all weekend so please do not be offended if he does not want to stay here. I told her no problem (the boy would then have stayed in the RV with the nanny.). I went into my office and heard a small voice say, "I like this house."
2 years later, the boy was mainstreamed in school and his Dad told me he was right up there with acedemics although a bit behind socially. You should have seen the grin on the Dad's face when I told him I was happier to hear that than the GREAT achievement HE (the Dad) had achieved the year before.
The autistic child at our church was not as fortunate - I do not think his condition was caught as early and his parents did not have the ability to dedicate the time to him as the other child had.

It should not be expected that a B&B owner will provide a babysitting service (unless it secifically says so on their web site) for any child its that simple. Discovered a mum and dad had left their 11 year old in the room while they went out to a party and i was livid now the girl was no trouble (didn't find out till the morning) but its not the point is it?

Back