It's Mulberry Season

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
According to the in-one-beak and out the other-end we have ripened mulberries. I noticed this year since we had a harder winter than in the past the berries have more flavor, almost a tartness (not quite but almost). Usually they are so bland and unlike blackberries, so I have not been super fond of them. We are picking some today and will try to use them this week for our guests.
Any recipes you could share to get the most of a mulberry I would appreciate. I am new to these berries since moving here.
shades_smile.gif

They are so easy to pick as there are no thorns.
lrg_Mulberries_May%2022_2010.JPG
I remember picking them off my neighbors tree when I was little. Fond memories....then we moved here and they were nothing but garbage all over our driveway..that tree went bye bye fast.

I used to have a little old man as a neighbor who had a short white beard. In mulberry season, his beard always had streaks of purple in it. That's how I'd know they were ripe!

I used to have a little old man as a neighbor who had a short white beard. In mulberry season, his beard always had streaks of purple in it. That's how I'd know they were ripe!.
Innkeeper To Go said:
I used to have a little old man as a neighbor who had a short white beard. In mulberry season, his beard always had streaks of purple in it. That's how I'd know they were ripe!
Our white dog has streaks of pink all over her back! (She helped pick!)
We had two mulberry trees, one was finally cut down (what a joy it was to do that! The cars used to get dumped on!) and we left the other. Why they were planted in the first place is beyond me. I have not decided what to make yet. Have twice the amount of the photo I posted now. (The more we pick the less the birds get! They can eat from the feeder!)

There was a mulberry tree at the State Park in Illinois whre we went camping with the kids. We asked the ranger if we could pick them and were to go to it. On the way home we stopped for a gallon of vanilla ice cream. DH & the kids were in hog heaven. I avoid seeds (a blueberry seed in the wrong place is a darned boulder!) - but they were good. Make some jelly.

I put them into a peach/pecan/mulberry muesli parfait this morning. Guests are not down yet, but will find out soon. I figured since they are not tart/acidic or super sweet, if I use them WITH other ingred's they might work okay.
I put a pile on some small plates and will pour them over french toast and sausage for the fam, if they have a little icing sugar and syrup maybe they will be good/better?
I used the last of the colonial strawberries we picked and it rained hard yesterday so don't really want to go tread around in the mud to get more today! Today is sunny, warm, mockingbirds are singing all around the porch. No guests are out there with coffee, btw, no one is enjoying it.
tounge_smile.gif
We have so many birds here it is a flight path out back to the feeder. A squirrell just ran past with three sets of teets and a little jr ran along behind her.
GET OUTSIDE! the innkeeper yells. I am in withdrawal and need outside and sea salt badly right now...Sand, gimmee some sand. I might have to go awal today.

It's still raining here. I think it's been raining since November
thumbs_down.gif
I'm definitely taking vitamin D

Man, those berries look a lot like my Dew Berries, but I bet they are much easier on your arms to pick...no thorns.
I have made jam with most of my berries but froze some for furture use in cobblers.
Someone told me of a quick way to make cobbler and I have been making it on occasion for guests & they love it. What I do (a little different than told) is spray cooking spray on the bottom and sides of a pan (large enough for your needs); cover the bottom with berries, about 2 deep then sprinkle with sugar; roll out some biscuit dough and cover the berries. Then I lightly cover the top of the dough with blackberry jam and then top with a few more berries. Bake for about 20 minutes or until biscuit is done. You will be surpried that the biscuit tastes more like a cake in this. Guests this morning almost licked their plates. (The friend that told me about this said he just gets a little foil, adds the berries, sugar and a frozen biscuit wraps it up and bakes until done. He is single and treats himself with this.)
Dew%20Berry%20Time%201.jpg

Back