It's not worth buying cheap

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
The topic of buying "value" items came up in another thread so I thought I'd share the following:-
Friends with a B&B were saying this weekend that they buy cheap washing machines, they last about 18 months - 2 years and if something goes wrong they chuck it out and buy a new one. I pointed out that after 10 years, £250 per machine they'll spend £1250 per machine. We've had our 2 machines 10 years, they cost £450 each, they've been repaired twice each costing around £100 a pop, that's £650 per machine in 10 years.
Just ordered all new bath robes for the rooms, the current ones are starting to get rough and tatty. I buy things like that from Out Of Eden who are a hotel supplier here in the UK. Their robes aren't cheap, but just looked back and I bought the current ones in Jan 2012. That's more than 5 seasons, I think that's pretty good.

People don't always use common sense. And I bet those second hand units aren't top quality either. It's not like people are chucking in top of the line Korean front loaders.

I'm with you, I prefer quality. We do our own washing and don't enjoy working with junk, in our case anyway it is going to be me that has to remove the old and install the new machine, with lasting 8 to 10 years that's also my que to paint and update the room a bit.

My Mom went through the Depression in Chicago- meaning there was no garden to raise food and clothes came from the Salvation Army or church rummage baskets - and she taught us quality over quantity. She would save for 10 years to buy something of quality. You might get soething at WallyWorld for $5 that will survive a few months if you arelucky, but if you spend $10 for it in a quality store it will last for years.
As Mom always said- You get what you pay for.

Back