It's official: adult picky eaters are orthorexic

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our latest brought all their own foods and expected to be able to use our kitchen to prepare all of their meals. Breakfast, lunch & dinner. This was NEVER brought up when the reservation was made.

Our latest brought all their own foods and expected to be able to use our kitchen to prepare all of their meals. Breakfast, lunch & dinner. This was NEVER brought up when the reservation was made..
Alibi Ike said:
Our latest brought all their own foods and expected to be able to use our kitchen to prepare all of their meals. Breakfast, lunch & dinner. This was NEVER brought up when the reservation was made.
How did you handle that? I would be at such a loss.

Our latest brought all their own foods and expected to be able to use our kitchen to prepare all of their meals. Breakfast, lunch & dinner. This was NEVER brought up when the reservation was made..
Alibi Ike said:
How did you handle that? I would be at such a loss.
Told them they could not use the kitchen. We have a guest pantry with a fridge & microwave. They have had to make it work like that. They cook their food in the micro and sit down and eat with everyone else. Weird, but there you go!

9 out of 10 of us here on this forum have allergies/sensitivities/weight issues/religious diet restrictions/health issues/healthy eating choices/political ideologies/dislikes and more.
This means there is something you serve we might not eat.
EXAMPLE of an average person not trying to be picky in the least:
  1. Do I want cage free chickens? YES! (maybe eating hen house eggs is against my personal beliefs)
  2. Am I a vegetarian? NO!
  3. Do I have a severe allergy that is in many food items? YES! (this allergy comes up as a color or flavor in many foods - to tell you all of the things this is in would frustrate you and if I can't check the label on something I may not be able to eat it)
  4. Do I prefer to eat healthy? YES! (this means I don't want high fructose corn syrup in my food, nor processed foods)
  5. Do I like heavy and sweet breakfasts? NO! (I like lots of fruits and grains - not white flour)
  6. Am I picky? NO! (But I really am not into eggy dishes or cold eggs, so if the dish is more egg than potatoes I won't really like it. If it has eggs make sure it is served piping hot and with some tabasco please!)
  7. Am I set in my ways and my routine? YES! (I like my coffee strong and early. I don't want it flavored, I don't want it cheap and nasty.)
So what things would I adore? A homemade muesli would be awesome, a simple scrambled eggs with side of bacon or simple sausage (not super processed), and fruit. Homemade anything is nice, not so much dessert for breakfast however. Extravagant dishes with many ingredients are not my cup of tea, heavy sauces, sweetened dishes not my idea for breakfast. K.I.S.S.
That is me. When I stay with you I will eat and enjoy whatever you prepare and love it. Why? Because I am not a pita, you have gone to the trouble to make a wonderful breakfast for me! But if you hound me and ask me before hand, when I arrive and before breakfast I will be compelled to tell you what I prefer etc.

9 out of 10 of us here on this forum have allergies/sensitivities/weight issues/religious diet restrictions/health issues/healthy eating choices/political ideologies/dislikes and more.
  1. Do I want cage free chickens? YES! (maybe eating hen house eggs is against my personal beliefs)
  3. Do I have a severe allergy that is in many food items? YES! (this allergy comes up as a color or flavor in many foods - to tell you all of the things this is in would frustrate you and if I can't check the label on something I may not be able to eat it)
  4. Do I prefer to eat healthy? YES! (this means I don't want high fructose corn syrup in my food, nor processed foods)
  5. Do I like heavy and sweet breakfasts? NO! (I like lots of fruits and grains - not white flour)
  6. Am I picky? NO! (But I really am not into eggy dishes or cold eggs, so if the dish is more egg than potatoes I won't really like it. If it has eggs make sure it is served piping hot and with some tabasco please!)
  7. Am I set in my ways and my routine? YES! (I like my coffee strong and early. I don't want it flavored, I don't want it cheap and nasty.)
So what things would I adore? A homemade muesli would be awesome, a simple scrambled eggs with side of bacon or simple sausage (not super processed), and fruit. Homemade anything is nice, not so much dessert for breakfast however. Extravagant dishes with many ingredients are not my cup of tea, heavy sauces, sweetened dishes not my idea for breakfast. K.I.S.S.
That is me. When I stay with you I will eat and enjoy whatever you prepare and love it. Why? Because I am not a pita, you have gone to the trouble to make a wonderful breakfast for me! But if you hound me and ask me before hand, when I arrive and before breakfast I will be compelled to tell you what I prefer etc..
We go solidly with 'food your mother used to make before she went to work fulltime in corporate'. We don't do fancy. And the other day we had a compliment- "I've eaten at a lot of B&B's with great food but your food seemed to be prepared in a healthy manner."
Odd, we don't do 'healthy' at all. But she seemed to think we didn't 'overdo' the fat and sugar.

That is me. When I stay with you I will eat and enjoy whatever you prepare and love it. Why? Because I am not a pita, you have gone to the trouble to make a wonderful breakfast for me! But if you hound me and ask me before hand, when I arrive and before breakfast I will be compelled to tell you what I prefer etc..
We go solidly with 'food your mother used to make before she went to work fulltime in corporate'. We don't do fancy. And the other day we had a compliment- "I've eaten at a lot of B&B's with great food but your food seemed to be prepared in a healthy manner."
Odd, we don't do 'healthy' at all. But she seemed to think we didn't 'overdo' the fat and sugar.
Alibi Ike said:
Simpler is healthier. Case in point, this is just me - I would rather have a grilled meat, veggie and simple salad any day of the week than a slam bam casserole full of 15 diff ingred's and full of fat! I am so non-midwest. Taste of Home turns my stomach, the "save steps" recipe preparation just adds fat and cost. Some of those "Stuffing" recipes with all the MSG soup mixes thrown into them, it just doesn't jive.
Example:
  1. grilled chicken breast
  2. any steamed veg
  3. simple salad with non-white dressing (or sliced tomatoes and sliced cucumber or avocado)
  4. brown rice or beans/legumes
PS Our strawberry farm is gearing up to open soon...I can't wait! I love going there. Okay now I am hungry. bye
You caught as as I am writing a short article for a state parks system on Engaging your kids, it is all about food. I will pop my notes on here next. It is just a draft right now.

ENGAGE YOUR KIDS!

Encourage children to find healthy snacks and recipes for the trip!
Have them search in magazines, cookbooks and online for recipes. Get them involved, they will be more likely to try it and like it if they had a hand in it!

Let them help with food preparation – even if it is just for sandwiches –let them tear the lettuce, peel the cucumbers or carrots.

Take Charge – give each family member one meal during vacation that is all theirs! Let them plan to menu and prep and serve the food. Assist with healthy choices. Younger children can have simpler meals like cereal with fresh fruit like bananas and strawberries.

Eat your meals together
The worst eating habits are the grab and go, you have no idea how much you have eaten, you do not enjoy your meal nor the company. Families that eat together tend to have healthier diets than those who don’t!
Don’t keep sodas stocked
Water Water Water

Don’t keep a smorgasboard – just one or two healthy choices like raw almonds, fruit, whole grain trail mixes. Have s’mores as a family treat – not an ever night occurrence!
Become more physically active on this vacation. Go walking, biking, hiking and swimming. You won’t even notice since it is all fun and you do it together! Being active and physical on your own is not as much fun.
FROZEN BANANAS (in lieu of ice cream)
Frozen bananas are desserts made by placing a banana upon a stick, freezing it, and usually dipping it in melted chocolate. They may be covered with toppings such as chopped nuts, granola or coconut.
Recipe here

ENGAGE YOUR KIDS!

Have them search in magazines, cookbooks and online for recipes. Get them involved, they will be more likely to try it and like it if they had a hand in it!

Let them help with food preparation – even if it is just for sandwiches –let them tear the lettuce, peel the cucumbers or carrots.

Take Charge – give each family member one meal during vacation that is all theirs! Let them plan to menu and prep and serve the food. Assist with healthy choices. Younger children can have simpler meals like cereal with fresh fruit like bananas and strawberries.

Eat your meals together
The worst eating habits are the grab and go, you have no idea how much you have eaten, you do not enjoy your meal nor the company. Families that eat together tend to have healthier diets than those who don’t!
Don’t keep sodas stocked
Water Water Water

Don’t keep a smorgasboard – just one or two healthy choices like raw almonds, fruit, whole grain trail mixes. Have s’mores as a family treat – not an ever night occurrence!
Become more physically active on this vacation. Go walking, biking, hiking and swimming. You won’t even notice since it is all fun and you do it together! Being active and physical on your own is not as much fun.
Frozen bananas are desserts made by placing a banana upon a stick, freezing it, and usually dipping it in melted chocolate. They may be covered with toppings such as chopped nuts, granola or coconut.
Recipe here.
Joey Bloggs said:
Recipe here
All I could think of when I read that headline of
was banana ice cream made with just bananas and a splash of milk.
chef.gif

So I goo gl ed and found a blog with step by step directions for you all. Enjoy.
http://cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/2010/07/worlds-easiest-ice-cream-recipe/

ENGAGE YOUR KIDS!

Eat your meals together
Don’t keep sodas stocked
Water Water Water

Recipe here.
Joey Bloggs said:
Recipe here
chef.gif

So I goo gl ed and found a blog with step by step directions for you all. Enjoy.
cherry64 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Recipe here
chef.gif

I love banana ice cream too! It is amazing fruit. In warm summer months out on our porch if I have some really nice guests who want to BE OUT ON THE PORCH I will do ice cream. But not guests coming in and out and running around. Seems I have had more of those than anyone wanting to relax the past year!

Alibi Ike said:
Simpler is healthier. Case in point, this is just me - I would rather have a grilled meat, veggie and simple salad any day of the week than a slam bam casserole full of 15 diff ingred's and full of fat! I am so non-midwest. Taste of Home turns my stomach, the "save steps" recipe preparation just adds fat and cost. Some of those "Stuffing" recipes with all the MSG soup mixes thrown into them, it just doesn't jive.
Example:
  2. any steamed veg
  3. simple salad with non-white dressing (or sliced tomatoes and sliced cucumber or avocado)
PS Our strawberry farm is gearing up to open soon...I can't wait! I love going there. Okay now I am hungry. bye
You caught as as I am writing a short article for a state parks system on Engaging your kids, it is all about food. I will pop my notes on here next. It is just a draft right now.
Grandkids just went panning for gold in Yosemite. They have GREAT photos of everyone getting dirty panning, even the toddler.
BTW, strawberries are still a dream here. End of JUNE.
I hate casseroles, too. We've pretty much stopped making them for the inn.

Alibi Ike said:
Example:
  2. any steamed veg
When we were growing up, mom gave each of us a part of the garden to grow anything we wanted. We picked out our own vegetables and flowers. You bet we couldn't wait to eat what we had grown. Made me a lifelong gardner and I love my fresh veg.

ENGAGE YOUR KIDS!

Eat your meals together
Don’t keep sodas stocked
Water Water Water

Recipe here.
Our oldest son was the Friday night cook. Anything he wanted to make - he just had to tell me so the ingredients needed would be in house. He ended up a chef!
Frozen bananas!! I thought everyone grew up with frozen bananas and found out I was wrong. I guess it was a Midwest thing because my Mom was from Chicago. We made homemade ice craem so much that we broke 2 cranks and I got the last one we had at a yard sale - an electric one. Sold it before we came here. Maybe I need to get another one - I bet guests would think it was a blast. I los my ex-mother-in-law's recipe - the only thing I regret losing that was connected to her! Kets put it this was - it would horrify DH and sent him into cardiac arrest just reading the recipe.

All I can say is JB please clone yourself and be our guests!!! You hit the nail on the head, you have your 'ideal' choice for breakfast but you will eat what is placed in front of you - Proper Etiquette - Ms Mannors would be proud. The problem is people today (in general) do not practice etiquette. My mom always taught me to eat what I was served when at a friends home.
I too have things I prefer to have over others. I am not a big sweet eater - serve me a stack of pancakes and there is no way I can eat more than one. But I would eat one just to make Mom happy.
I do serve souffles and casserole style dishes mostly but do slip in a sweet dish on occasion as long as simple scramble and/or a meat is served as well. Most eat it and do say they enjoyed it, some just eat some.... So maybe I have JB clones, I don't know... have they really enjoyed it or just have proper manners?

All I can say is JB please clone yourself and be our guests!!! You hit the nail on the head, you have your 'ideal' choice for breakfast but you will eat what is placed in front of you - Proper Etiquette - Ms Mannors would be proud. The problem is people today (in general) do not practice etiquette. My mom always taught me to eat what I was served when at a friends home.
I too have things I prefer to have over others. I am not a big sweet eater - serve me a stack of pancakes and there is no way I can eat more than one. But I would eat one just to make Mom happy.
I do serve souffles and casserole style dishes mostly but do slip in a sweet dish on occasion as long as simple scramble and/or a meat is served as well. Most eat it and do say they enjoyed it, some just eat some.... So maybe I have JB clones, I don't know... have they really enjoyed it or just have proper manners?.
We just served eggs 2 days in a row to the same guests. We don't usually do this but we had one guest who was diabetic and one who couldn't eat gluten. Rather than make something different for them, we went with eggs both days. And, I served bacon to the vegetarians after telling them I would ask in the morning. What a waste of good bacon!

I do serve souffles and casserole style dishes mostly but do slip in a sweet dish on occasion as long as simple scramble and/or a meat is served as well. Most eat it and do say they enjoyed it, some just eat some.... So maybe I have JB clones, I don't know... have they really enjoyed it or just have proper manners?.
We just served eggs 2 days in a row to the same guests. We don't usually do this but we had one guest who was diabetic and one who couldn't eat gluten. Rather than make something different for them, we went with eggs both days. And, I served bacon to the vegetarians after telling them I would ask in the morning. What a waste of good bacon!
I know your set up may not allow this but I have thought seriously about serving bacon/sausage after serving the plated food... I mean having a plate and asking each if they want meat. I hate having bacon sit on a plate and me have to toss it in the garbage... What a WASTE.

I know your set up may not allow this but I have thought seriously about serving bacon/sausage after serving the plated food... I mean having a plate and asking each if they want meat. I hate having bacon sit on a plate and me have to toss it in the garbage... What a WASTE.
I forgot to ask. My fault. I'm sick, that's my excuse. It was close to 9:30 and I was ready to just sit down and stop talking and thinking. Everyone who skipped the sausage yesterday dove into the bacon today. So I ask everyday.

Back