It's that time of year again

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
Today the house is filled with the sickly sweet smell of boiling sugar and strawberries, yes it's jam making time.
Yesterday it was my favorite, blackcurrant.
A lot of guests really appreciate home made. Any one else make their own?
540736_549404418428152_1498017456_n.jpg

Actually, I make what we call jam, but I have been told by guests from south of the border that it's more preserves, since I like to use big pieces of fruit or sometimes whole fruit. But my jams are also generally more unusual, like cherry & amaretto jam or strawberry & balsamic jam.

I was going to go to the farmers mkt today to put in an order for 10 lbs of blueberries but my housekeeper decided she needed the day off. So, not making jam today. But will be this week sometime!

Ohh, that looks goood! I'd like to fill a crepe with some of that jam and gobble it up!
thumbs_up.gif

Actually, I make what we call jam, but I have been told by guests from south of the border that it's more preserves, since I like to use big pieces of fruit or sometimes whole fruit. But my jams are also generally more unusual, like cherry & amaretto jam or strawberry & balsamic jam..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Actually, I make what we call jam, but I have been told by guests from south of the border that it's more preserves, since I like to use big pieces of fruit or sometimes whole fruit. But my jams are also generally more unusual, like cherry & amaretto jam or strawberry & balsamic jam.
They sound lovely.
We've tried some more unusual combinations, but they're not so popular with the guest. Rhubarb and ginger goes down well, but strawberry and mint wasn't and lemon & lime marmalade likewise (I think the problem with that is it has a bit of an odd consistency).
I thought south of the border what we in the UK call jam, they call jelly. In the past when I've made jam that hasn't quite set properly, I've told DH to tell the guests it's conserve, as it sounds a lot posher than "jam that didn't quite set properly".

Yumm! looks fab.
We've got some funny laws about making and using jams & jellies here, so I stay away from it. I do make a mixed berry sauce that I serve over ice cream or cheesecake for our delivered dinners. I also use it mixed into plain Greek yogurt and create a parfait.

Actually, I make what we call jam, but I have been told by guests from south of the border that it's more preserves, since I like to use big pieces of fruit or sometimes whole fruit. But my jams are also generally more unusual, like cherry & amaretto jam or strawberry & balsamic jam..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
They sound lovely.
We've tried some more unusual combinations, but they're not so popular with the guest. Rhubarb and ginger goes down well, but strawberry and mint wasn't and lemon & lime marmalade likewise (I think the problem with that is it has a bit of an odd consistency).
I thought south of the border what we in the UK call jam, they call jelly. In the past when I've made jam that hasn't quite set properly, I've told DH to tell the guests it's conserve, as it sounds a lot posher than "jam that didn't quite set properly".
Use a thermometer and make sure the jam gets to 105c, which is set temp. (Set temp for jelly is 104c)
My understanding... preserves are big pieces or whole fruit, jams are pureed fruit, jelly is fruit juice, no pieces. Confuses me too. But locally we like big pieces of fruit, to our west and east they like smaller pieces. And to our south, completely pureed. But that's what I have been told.
The only jelly that I have ever made is tea jelly, with a local tea. For marmalade the biggest seller around here is cranberry marmalade. But sometimes I will use vanilla bean and I put the whole pureed bean in, because I think the little brown specks look really nice.
My rhubarb is with hibiscus. My blueberry with lavender.
If you are making strawberry, try adding something like basil instead of mint. And if you really want to do the mint, try a marmalade with lemon, ginger and mint. :)

Always make my own: strawberry, peach, apricot and raspberry jams. Guests like them a lot and mention it on the reviews. Can not stand the store bought one.

Always make my own: strawberry, peach, apricot and raspberry jams. Guests like them a lot and mention it on the reviews. Can not stand the store bought one..
Agree. And even worse are those little plastic pots of individual servings.

I'm curious. What is it that you're serving that takes jam? The only time I serve jam/jelly is when I serve biscuits, and that's maybe once a month.

I'm curious. What is it that you're serving that takes jam? The only time I serve jam/jelly is when I serve biscuits, and that's maybe once a month..
We have toast every other day with the eggs. Which is why I hope I can get out to get the blueberries!

I'm curious. What is it that you're serving that takes jam? The only time I serve jam/jelly is when I serve biscuits, and that's maybe once a month..
I have home made jam on the table in small jars. The guests like it on toast, english muffins, etc.

I have home made jam on the table in small jars. The guests like it on toast, english muffins, etc.
I've wondered about communal jars of jam and other condiments. Apparently it's not really an issue for you? So many people seem to think everything is contaminated if THEY didn't open it, but I dislike the diner atmosphere that comes with the individual servings.

I've wondered about communal jars of jam and other condiments. Apparently it's not really an issue for you? So many people seem to think everything is contaminated if THEY didn't open it, but I dislike the diner atmosphere that comes with the individual servings.
I take the jam from the jar and scoop it into small ramekins made for jam. I've made peach preserves, blueberry, strawberry, and pear jam. I also have done grape jelly and blackberry jelly. If you need to buy store bought Bonne Maman is good and also Costco Kirkland Organic Strawberry jam is wonderful.

Our regulations here is that if it goes out on the table and is not totally consumed, it must be thrown out.

Back