It's THAT time!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
We've been running the B&B for 15 years now, this is our 16th summer season and we've had enough.
DH has been increasingly fed up with it for the past 1-2 years but I wanted to carry on, but I've come round to his way of thinking.
I'm fed up with having no life is the bottom line. Tied to the house all summer, can't go to special events unless I plan 12 months in advance, virtually no social life. It's taking it's toll and we're not getting any younger.
So we've decided that this September we'll put the house on the market and move on.

Never an easy decision, but once it's made, press on! You'll be missed, but good luck with the sale and enjoy the next phase of a long life!

Also wishing you the best in your next lives. You had a good run at it. May you be blessed with a quick sale and sunshine in your future. NOW you can come to West Virginia!!!

I wonder what happens when one of you is ready to sell and your SO isn't at that point.
Neither one of us are anywhere near that point, but based on discussions we've had, I think my SO may be ready to bail before I will be.

Wow! So sad I couldn't stay with you when I visited Loch Ness. Best of luck to you in your new adventure!

I wonder what happens when one of you is ready to sell and your SO isn't at that point.
Neither one of us are anywhere near that point, but based on discussions we've had, I think my SO may be ready to bail before I will be..
PhineasSwann said:
Neither one of us are anywhere near that point, but based on discussions we've had, I think my SO may be ready to bail before I will be.
Much like any other marital issue it's best to find out why you're on different pages and what life looks like to both of you right now and in the future.
Oftentimes, a newly marked difference of opinion on something once closely shared means someone feels unheard. Or the now is not what someone pictured it to be in the planning stages.

Tough decision. I too am sorry not to be able to visit. Very best wishes for your next chapter.
heart.gif

Good luck and much success with the next adventure in life, will miss you here on the forum.

A tough decision. But good to know yourselves. Did you consider closing for a month in summer? I imagine that changes the finances significantly, but something to see if it’s possible.
Enjoy the next adventure!

I hear you. Good for you for recognizing that there is life after innkeeping! After completing our 30th year hosting guests in the house we are calling it quits as of....tomorrow. From now on the plan is to host guests in our ocean-view cottage only, perhaps with a delivered breakfast but preferably as a Guest House. I am even looking into a service that will clean for changeovers. I can still do the day-to-day fluff but the big cleaning is more than I want to do. We will see how it goes next year with just the one accommodation and go from there.

I'm counting down to September 25th. I'm really happy that I haven't had burn out, and am loving the guests who have made my last summer so special. I have signed up to volunteer at a local elementary school about 3 days a week, and am also helping out with our church's prison ministry 3 times a month. I'm not going anywhere, so if any innmates get the urge to come to Indiana, just look me up. If you can't find me, just ask Gillum or Arks.

I'm counting down to September 25th. I'm really happy that I haven't had burn out, and am loving the guests who have made my last summer so special. I have signed up to volunteer at a local elementary school about 3 days a week, and am also helping out with our church's prison ministry 3 times a month. I'm not going anywhere, so if any innmates get the urge to come to Indiana, just look me up. If you can't find me, just ask Gillum or Arks..
Innkeep said:
If you can't find me, just ask Gillum or Arks.
thumbs_up.gif

I'm counting down to September 25th. I'm really happy that I haven't had burn out, and am loving the guests who have made my last summer so special. I have signed up to volunteer at a local elementary school about 3 days a week, and am also helping out with our church's prison ministry 3 times a month. I'm not going anywhere, so if any innmates get the urge to come to Indiana, just look me up. If you can't find me, just ask Gillum or Arks..
heart.gif

Neither one of us are anywhere near that point, but based on discussions we've had, I think my SO may be ready to bail before I will be..
PhineasSwann said:
Much like any other marital issue it's best to find out why you're on different pages and what life looks like to both of you right now and in the future.
Oftentimes, a newly marked difference of opinion on something once closely shared means someone feels unheard. Or the now is not what someone pictured it to be in the planning stages.
Indeed. DW says she's tired of running the Inn, but doesn't want to move and doesn't like to travel; I say, well, we're always here so let the guests show up when they want. I enjoy their company for the short moment of their stay.
So I've been taking over more of her administrative responsibilities. I've always done the mornings and 3/4 of arrivals, but I'm dealing with housekeeping.

Back