It's Time To Remember...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
That we have created policies for a reason. For a lot of us, the busy season is ramping up. People are already asking for things that go against what we know either doesn't work for us, or drives us crazy!
These are the biggies for us:
  • no early check-in (time to get the sign out)
  • no late check-out
  • hot breakfast is served during the hours we state and continental is offered for earlier and later
  • 2 night minimum on weekends (unless a vacancy for 1 night has been created by other reservations).
  • Cancellation policy is enforced!!
I have to remember that almost always, when I play the softie, it bites me in the a**. I can say no in a kind yet firm way.
What are the policies you need to stand up for??

In a 180 - no pets. (Have not had a problem saying no to those folks who found us on old pet friendly sites. And one woman who showed up at the door the other night saying the town map showed we are PF. Yeah, we were.)
Cancellation policy with fee.
Breakfast times.

We have a two night minimum other than orphan nights. We put it in place when we found that some people were staying here as their cheap "splurge" and it was blocking real customers.
We have the most expensive booking day of the year coming up. Always the same nonsense, they want 1 or 2 nights (instead of our 3 night minimum) and they want to pay our regular posted nightly rate.
One man called me up and when he said he found a room elsewhere for our normal posted rate was shocked when I told him to call them back immediately and book it, because they are fools. He said they weren't as nice as my place was. That's nice, but my place is $80 a night more than that sir and that's my price.

Three times in the past week I've gotten e-mails from guests with reservations asking for a late check-in or check-out. I wrote them all back with the same info...$35 fee so we can get some additional housekeeping help.
Funny, nobody has ordered this option!
wink_smile.gif

We have a two night minimum other than orphan nights. We put it in place when we found that some people were staying here as their cheap "splurge" and it was blocking real customers.
We have the most expensive booking day of the year coming up. Always the same nonsense, they want 1 or 2 nights (instead of our 3 night minimum) and they want to pay our regular posted nightly rate.
One man called me up and when he said he found a room elsewhere for our normal posted rate was shocked when I told him to call them back immediately and book it, because they are fools. He said they weren't as nice as my place was. That's nice, but my place is $80 a night more than that sir and that's my price..
Don't get me started we have the Tour De France comming through twice next year its going to be a zoo - havn't gone mad with prices as quite a few regulars have booked and I don't want them put off - and I do have a 3 night minimum.
Point being keep getting the "oh but we only want 1 night brigade " well fricking tough!

I find it hard not to be a softie & then I'm the one that's mad. Stupid... We have cottages and canoes, etc. sometimes the industry standard doesn't seem fair to me - but it's hard to be so weather dependent and I want people to have a nice time.
My tough rules are almost all about weather and safety. It's been our experience so far that many people are not very cautious.

Three times in the past week I've gotten e-mails from guests with reservations asking for a late check-in or check-out. I wrote them all back with the same info...$35 fee so we can get some additional housekeeping help.
wink_smile.gif
We started am early check in fee of $35 for check in between 1-4. I can't believe how many people are booking this. It has solved people showing up early and the ones that do are paying our help for the day with this add on. Its not any more work to do this and I recommend all of you if you can to try it. You have to clean on the rooms just do them in order of arrival. If you can not clean everything before 1pm, then just tell them what time you can and still charge them for it. Or they can arrive when normal check in time is. There is value in this and thats why we charge for it. But, it has really helped on so many levels. We do not do late check outs unless the next guest are not checking in early. You could charge for that also if you wanted. Most of the ones who do this are just staying one night. So they want the little extra time and they are willing to pay for it! So take it!!!

wink_smile.gif
We started am early check in fee of $35 for check in between 1-4. I can't believe how many people are booking this. It has solved people showing up early and the ones that do are paying our help for the day with this add on. Its not any more work to do this and I recommend all of you if you can to try it. You have to clean on the rooms just do them in order of arrival. If you can not clean everything before 1pm, then just tell them what time you can and still charge them for it. Or they can arrive when normal check in time is. There is value in this and thats why we charge for it. But, it has really helped on so many levels. We do not do late check outs unless the next guest are not checking in early. You could charge for that also if you wanted. Most of the ones who do this are just staying one night. So they want the little extra time and they are willing to pay for it! So take it!!!
I remember you starting that last year and thought it was brilliant. Our people seem to think they can get it for free.

wink_smile.gif
We have the hardest time with this. If we have help we can get rooms done by 1 PM. No help? If I have to answer the door it takes us until 3. We are JUST getting the rooms done when regular check-ins are arriving.
I never know if the housekeepers will show up. This is every year. No matter who we hire I can never be sure I won't be cleaning. If I'm cleaning, I'm also answering the phone, the door, checking guests out, giving directions, etc. If it's early, I'm folding laundry in the kitchen. The house really does not look presentable until 3.
Plus, I'm in the kitchen cooking if I'm done cleaning. Just no way I can do this. Wish I could.
Which is why we turn down early check ins. Even for $35. I still won't be done with the work even with the extra bucks!

Had ladies text me asking for a 730am breakfast Tuesday morning (in town on business, they had already stayed Mon night & had regular 830am breakfast). I had just gotten home, had been working the Inn all by myself for the last week and was supremely exhausted. I almost started crying. The idea of having to get up an hour earlier than usual was enough to push me over the edge. I hesitated a long time - I didn't want to tell them that I refused to do that, I wanted an excuse even if it was a lie. I told them I was unable to get to the Inn before 730a but could feed them by 8am. Nope, they would check out & eat elsewhere. They packed their car & walked to the cafe arriving there by 8am. Silly girls - I could have fed them at 8, but they decided to spend more money getting something somewhere else without saving themselves any time at all. I have a hard time saying no.... we all do to some extent, but sanity is more important.

Had ladies text me asking for a 730am breakfast Tuesday morning (in town on business, they had already stayed Mon night & had regular 830am breakfast). I had just gotten home, had been working the Inn all by myself for the last week and was supremely exhausted. I almost started crying. The idea of having to get up an hour earlier than usual was enough to push me over the edge. I hesitated a long time - I didn't want to tell them that I refused to do that, I wanted an excuse even if it was a lie. I told them I was unable to get to the Inn before 730a but could feed them by 8am. Nope, they would check out & eat elsewhere. They packed their car & walked to the cafe arriving there by 8am. Silly girls - I could have fed them at 8, but they decided to spend more money getting something somewhere else without saving themselves any time at all. I have a hard time saying no.... we all do to some extent, but sanity is more important..
You did what you could. Without flat out saying no, you offered a compromise. Good for you. I know those 7:30 AM breakfasts kill me because the next guest doesn't show up until 9 or later!

Had ladies text me asking for a 730am breakfast Tuesday morning (in town on business, they had already stayed Mon night & had regular 830am breakfast). I had just gotten home, had been working the Inn all by myself for the last week and was supremely exhausted. I almost started crying. The idea of having to get up an hour earlier than usual was enough to push me over the edge. I hesitated a long time - I didn't want to tell them that I refused to do that, I wanted an excuse even if it was a lie. I told them I was unable to get to the Inn before 730a but could feed them by 8am. Nope, they would check out & eat elsewhere. They packed their car & walked to the cafe arriving there by 8am. Silly girls - I could have fed them at 8, but they decided to spend more money getting something somewhere else without saving themselves any time at all. I have a hard time saying no.... we all do to some extent, but sanity is more important..
Sometimes you just need to protect yourself from total exhaustion and burnout. You offered them a compromise which they foolishly turned down. Not your fault, so don't feel bad about not giving more than you've got.
I had one of those guests recently. Called at 8:00pm wanting an early 'hot' breakfast. Nope, I can happily fix them a delicious continental breakfast that I could give them within 15 minutes and they can put it in their fridge and eat any time they wish in the morning. He asked again if they could get a 'hot' breakfast. Same answer....NO. On our website it states in several places as well as their confirmation letter and policies when a hot breakfast is delivered or we can provide a continental for their fridge.
It's not their fault...they don't understand the kind of life we lead with being up late and getting up early. Believe me, I would not be a very happy hostess for all the other guests if I didn't get any sleep.

wink_smile.gif
Bob said:
We've been doing something similar for a while and it's become quite a little money maker. Since we only have two rooms, we serve breakfast at a fixed time of 8:30 a.m. We offer a "Lazy Morning Option"' which allows guest to pick their breakfast time up to 10 a.m. and extends their check-out time to 1 p.m.
We charge $30 for this and we find that most guests come to breakfast at 9 a.m. and leave before noon. This still gives us plenty of time to flip the room for a 3 p.m. check-in. We're firm on no early check-ins.
This cost us absolutely nothing and is extremely popular.

wink_smile.gif
Duplicate Entry

wink_smile.gif
Bob said:
We've been doing something similar for a while and it's become quite a little money maker. Since we only have two rooms, we serve breakfast at a fixed time of 8:30 a.m. We offer a "Lazy Morning Option"' which allows guest to pick their breakfast time up to 10 a.m. and extends their check-out time to 1 p.m.
We charge $30 for this and we find that most guests come to breakfast at 9 a.m. and leave before noon. This still gives us plenty of time to flip the room for a 3 p.m. check-in. We're firm on no early check-ins.
Dang! I would charge for an early breakfast but no one has asked for earlier than 4 AM!!

wink_smile.gif
Bob said:
Dang! I would charge for an early breakfast but no one has asked for earlier than 4 AM!!
gillumhouse said:
Smarty ;-)

Back