I've had it with late check-ins ....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
It seems as if NO ONE can arrive on time ..... and my usually limitless patience is running dry. Check-in is from 3:00 - 6:00 and I try to be as flexible as possible by saying that I am almost always able to accommodate early or late arrivals WITH ADVANCE NOTICE. That way I can plan ahead.
Prime example today.
Late check-outs
Fought very hard to get rooms done by check-in and managed it
Spent 3 - 6 doing as many as possible of the of the long list of things that need to get done while still being available for when guests get here.
One arrived at 6:15 (acceptable)
One room just called and said they'll be here in 30 mins
I have yet to hear from the other 2 rooms
I am in desperate need of a shower ... if I jump in now - the guests are almost guaranteed to arrive
I would love a G&T
Hubby is travelling and for various reasons today has been pretty crappy and I was really hoping to walk downtown and get a bite to eat. When hubs IS here, he gets upset because guests will invariably arrive in the middle of the meal he's prepared for us.
On most days I'd also have to make a supermarket run and I can't while guests are still trickling in.
So - best scenario right now is turn down guest that has arrived and left already, wait for guests that called to arrive, change and leave so that I can get them turned down (probably by about 8:00). Turn down and leave notes for the other guests assuming they haven't arrived by then, shower and see if I can still make it downtown before the restaurant stops serving. Get back here, put together tomorrow's breakfast and go to bed.
I know it's just because I'm tired and fractious and I'd normally have no problem dealing with this but I actually can't remember a single guest arriving on time this entire August (I know there must have been a few)
Please tell me what you do - how do you "enforce" your check-in times? It's a policy that's there as much for my guests comfort as my own - I need to keep a vestige of my sanity. When I DO try and tell guests why the check-in time is important the usually reply "Oh don't worry, we're easy going - it wouldn't have made any difference to us". What they don't understand is that their innkeeper has been up since six, needs to bathe, shop, hopefully get out of their "glad rags" and into something comfortable for the evening ironing and on very very rare occasions, relax
OK - I'm done whining and I'm going to pour a G&T and try and get over myself.

You enforce it by charging them for a late check-in! Go take a shower and eat! They made you wait! They can hang for a minute while you return to human form!
wink_smile.gif

Move over. Where is my G & T? The military family that was moving with 4 horses last weekend arrived at 11 pm, we got back to the B & B from the stable about midnight and then the Dad told me the gluten-free was also no eggs and no bananas! OK, I survived.
Last night, the guests were supposed to be arriving between 8 & 9. No problem. They had trouble with the brakes on the horse trailer so the 5 hour drive turned into 8. I met them at the Interstate at 2:45 am and by the time we got 4 horses and a pony settled, the trailer parked, the dogs in the trailer, and backto the B & B it was 3:30 am and then by the time I found my pillow, it was 4am. I had gotten up at 5 yesterday morning to fix breakfast for my guest who was doing a training class at 8 (and I was providing the coffee and muffins for it). Sleep in today? NO! Breakfast was set for 10 and by 9:15 people were trooping down. fortunately I had muffins aleady mixed up and had the table set while waiting.
They are about to head out for the drive-in and after I set the table, I am going to find my pillow!
Yes, it is worth it - they have all three rooms for 2-nights! Fortunately this is not a day DH got on my last nerve so I am still mellow - even did 2 loads of laundry today. It must be getting to go into town ALONE to get the oil change.

I know you want to personally greet everyone but sometimes the guests themselves make that impossible. Leave a note on the door saying the innkeepers left after check-in time was over and they should pelase find their rooms here and here and the innkeepers will be pleased to greet them at breakfast at 8 AM.
I would say, from my perspective, that it has been slightly better this summer for arrivals. Not nearly as many at noon or midnight as other years. Exception being today's noon arrival that my dog chased away by barking repeatedly at them thru the open window right next to the doorbell they were incessantly ringing. And which, amazingly, I cannot hear when I'm up to my elbows cleaning guest rooms. (I CAN hear the dog, tho.)
When you're on your last nerve, it's time to grant yourself immunity from all of your 'shoulda, woulda, coulda dones'.
Can I tell you about the guests who want to change rooms because their room is haunted? And how I just lost $170 by letting them do that? Shall I drive up there and pour us both a stiff one?

Move over. Where is my G & T? The military family that was moving with 4 horses last weekend arrived at 11 pm, we got back to the B & B from the stable about midnight and then the Dad told me the gluten-free was also no eggs and no bananas! OK, I survived.
Last night, the guests were supposed to be arriving between 8 & 9. No problem. They had trouble with the brakes on the horse trailer so the 5 hour drive turned into 8. I met them at the Interstate at 2:45 am and by the time we got 4 horses and a pony settled, the trailer parked, the dogs in the trailer, and backto the B & B it was 3:30 am and then by the time I found my pillow, it was 4am. I had gotten up at 5 yesterday morning to fix breakfast for my guest who was doing a training class at 8 (and I was providing the coffee and muffins for it). Sleep in today? NO! Breakfast was set for 10 and by 9:15 people were trooping down. fortunately I had muffins aleady mixed up and had the table set while waiting.
They are about to head out for the drive-in and after I set the table, I am going to find my pillow!
Yes, it is worth it - they have all three rooms for 2-nights! Fortunately this is not a day DH got on my last nerve so I am still mellow - even did 2 loads of laundry today. It must be getting to go into town ALONE to get the oil change..
I know - you're sooo good .... and I usually take great pride in being able to "accommodate". I've done the lates, the earlies and everything in between with a smile and it's been fine. I think it's just that thing with the camel's back and the straw
regular_smile.gif
. I'll be over it very soon, but it's just that time of year when every second seems sacred and rather than turn it on my guests I "vent" here .... Sorry
sad_smile.gif

p.s. - There'll be a nice, iced G&T waiting for you anytime you want to visit
tounge_smile.gif

p.p.s. - your military guests sound super cool

OK, It's getting REALLY cold here!
Everyone checked in on time, the laundry is done AND we sat down to a hot meal and finished it before 6pm! It's a Christmas Miracle!

I know you want to personally greet everyone but sometimes the guests themselves make that impossible. Leave a note on the door saying the innkeepers left after check-in time was over and they should pelase find their rooms here and here and the innkeepers will be pleased to greet them at breakfast at 8 AM.
I would say, from my perspective, that it has been slightly better this summer for arrivals. Not nearly as many at noon or midnight as other years. Exception being today's noon arrival that my dog chased away by barking repeatedly at them thru the open window right next to the doorbell they were incessantly ringing. And which, amazingly, I cannot hear when I'm up to my elbows cleaning guest rooms. (I CAN hear the dog, tho.)
When you're on your last nerve, it's time to grant yourself immunity from all of your 'shoulda, woulda, coulda dones'.
Can I tell you about the guests who want to change rooms because their room is haunted? And how I just lost $170 by letting them do that? Shall I drive up there and pour us both a stiff one?.
Bree said:
I know, but then I tell myself I'm being a wimp, come on here, make some noise, feel better and get on with it .... not good that you guys are the one's that have to hear it, but I guess that's why it's the "vent, laugh, cry" forum
embaressed_smile.gif

Can I tell you about the guests who want to change rooms because their room is haunted? And how I just lost $170 by letting them do that? Shall I drive up there and pour us both a stiff one?.
Bree said:
I know, but then I tell myself I'm being a wimp, come on here, make some noise, feel better and get on with it .... not good that you guys are the one's that have to hear it, but I guess that's why it's the "vent, laugh, cry" forum
embaressed_smile.gif

The Tipsy Butler said:
Bree said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Oh, come on, do what I do...have a pity party for yourself! I have a guest coming tomorrow. Can't possibly make it from NYC by 7, will that be a problem? Not for me. I'm going to the John Hiatt concert tomorrow at 7. Told her that and said to check for the envelope on the door to let herself in. And she replied back that I should enjoy the concert and thanks for being accommodating. So, you see, accommodation takes different meanings.
Your late guests may be horrorstruck you have waited for them.

Yes, it is worth it - they have all three rooms for 2-nights! Fortunately this is not a day DH got on my last nerve so I am still mellow - even did 2 loads of laundry today. It must be getting to go into town ALONE to get the oil change..
I know - you're sooo good .... and I usually take great pride in being able to "accommodate". I've done the lates, the earlies and everything in between with a smile and it's been fine. I think it's just that thing with the camel's back and the straw
regular_smile.gif
. I'll be over it very soon, but it's just that time of year when every second seems sacred and rather than turn it on my guests I "vent" here .... Sorry
sad_smile.gif

p.s. - There'll be a nice, iced G&T waiting for you anytime you want to visit
tounge_smile.gif

p.p.s. - your military guests sound super cool
Good is not a word I usually hear connected with me. Besides, we ALL need a snarl now and then because (psst - it's a secret) we are HUMAN!!
See, now you feel better and by morning will be back to your usual sweet self.
pps: BOTH of these horse families are really nice - I just need sleep!

We have four rooms and I always ask people for a ballpark of when they're coming. We had a situation where it was through the university so the time I was told (late afternoon) was wildly different from the reality (after 9). It was absolutely horrible. I don't want to ever go through that again (although I know I will!). I was tired and hungry and getting worse by the minute. Finally we left a note on the door to call our number and went to Burger King. Went and got some fruit, too, and he still hadn't arrived by the time we got back.
Sometimes as I wait I wonder if I jumped in the shower if that would get them here. I also thought about putting a note on the door "back in five minutes" even if I knew I'd be gone 20. But the note on the door with the phone number felt like a good solution... we weren't far away and a guest that had kept me waiting that long could have waited a few until I got there. Or I could even tell them the code and get them in the door as we were on the way there...
Late people suck. No way around it.
=)
Kk.

We have four rooms and I always ask people for a ballpark of when they're coming. We had a situation where it was through the university so the time I was told (late afternoon) was wildly different from the reality (after 9). It was absolutely horrible. I don't want to ever go through that again (although I know I will!). I was tired and hungry and getting worse by the minute. Finally we left a note on the door to call our number and went to Burger King. Went and got some fruit, too, and he still hadn't arrived by the time we got back.
Sometimes as I wait I wonder if I jumped in the shower if that would get them here. I also thought about putting a note on the door "back in five minutes" even if I knew I'd be gone 20. But the note on the door with the phone number felt like a good solution... we weren't far away and a guest that had kept me waiting that long could have waited a few until I got there. Or I could even tell them the code and get them in the door as we were on the way there...
Late people suck. No way around it.
=)
Kk..
tipsy - this is the SAFE zone.
if you didn't have a place to vent, where would you? surely not in front of guests and hopefully not to family.
my chambermaids expect me to be calm and unfrazzled, sweet and smiling all the time. i cannot be that way ALL the time. even as close as they are to the work going on behind the scenes, they don't GET IT like we do.
the realtor popped in yesterday morning at checkout time as i was helping someone with two walking canes across the lawn and down the steps. i did not recognize the realtor and gave her my innkeeper smile as i asked 'can i help you?' well the smile froze on my face when she told me who she was and i hope i didn't look immediately hostile ... i was worried she was wanting to show the place then and now. i was wrong. she was dropping off a promotional postcard. i wasn't my most gracious as i told her i was in the middle of cleaning, took the card and disappeared into the 'no entry' zone in the place. hopefully i wasn't terribly rude but .......
chin up! you are awesome.

I always asked and IF they wanted to come early or arrive late, we had a nice little chat about it. Sometimes if I kmew in advance I would have things ready I would say ok for early arrival and if too late, would tell them I would not wait up but that the door would be open and how to find their room. Thankfully over the years this was the minority.
So, I just have to say what my best friends do now. They tell them NO EARLY CHECK ins and NO Late CHECK OUTS. PERIOD end of story. They keep their doors locked. There is one of those "clock signs" that says..."will return at 3 PM" they do not answer the door. If guest show up..they are not acknowledged. It works for them.

MURPHY SAYS: If you kick butt trying to get rooms done, you do not do what you need to, ie go to bank and store, so you are here for the check in time or early arrival, they show at 10pm. Every time.

I always asked and IF they wanted to come early or arrive late, we had a nice little chat about it. Sometimes if I kmew in advance I would have things ready I would say ok for early arrival and if too late, would tell them I would not wait up but that the door would be open and how to find their room. Thankfully over the years this was the minority.
So, I just have to say what my best friends do now. They tell them NO EARLY CHECK ins and NO Late CHECK OUTS. PERIOD end of story. They keep their doors locked. There is one of those "clock signs" that says..."will return at 3 PM" they do not answer the door. If guest show up..they are not acknowledged. It works for them..
catlady said:
So, I just have to say what my best friends do now. They tell them NO EARLY CHECK ins and NO Late CHECK OUTS. PERIOD end of story. They keep their doors locked. There is one of those "clock signs" that says..."will return at 3 PM" they do not answer the door. If guest show up..they are not acknowledged. It works for them.
That is what I do, no exceptions, don't answer the phone (when an early arrival can call) "We are here, can we check in now! I know you said check in begins at...but we are here."
Don't answer the phone. LEt the machine get it. The sign is on the door. AMUSE YOURSELVES FOR A WHILE.

MURPHY SAYS: If you kick butt trying to get rooms done, you do not do what you need to, ie go to bank and store, so you are here for the check in time or early arrival, they show at 10pm. Every time..
LOL .... I think I must be related to Murphy on both my mother's and father's side !

So, I just have to say what my best friends do now. They tell them NO EARLY CHECK ins and NO Late CHECK OUTS. PERIOD end of story. They keep their doors locked. There is one of those "clock signs" that says..."will return at 3 PM" they do not answer the door. If guest show up..they are not acknowledged. It works for them..
catlady said:
Funny story about the 'back at' clock stuck on the door...innkeeper friend dropped by the other day and rang the bell. I had seen him coming so was already headed for the door. Opened door and said to him, 'Did you see the 'back at' sign?' The answer? 'Not until after I rang the bell.'
SO, I have to hang the clock outside over the doorbell.

I went for several years with a 3-7 wide open check-in time, a lot of times they rolled in late, some peeked in early - us always waiting it seemed!
I finally started saying check in is between 3-7pm, by appointment, about what time do you expect to arrive. I always state to call if their plans are altered.
In my confirmation email, it states to... 'In your acceptance reply please provide us with your approx. time of arrival between 3-7. This allows us time to prepare for your arrival which may include a trip away from the inn.'
This works about 90-95% of the time...if they are running late they will at least call. As for the remaining 5-10% I am steaming like the rest of you.

Thursday is Spaghetti Night at Jimmy's and if DH does not get to Jimmy's on Thursday it is not pleasant. When it gets to the point that his tummy is rumbling, I put a note on the front door about all you can eat spaghetti for $4.99 and directions to Jimmy's. We have had guests join us several times - some who actually arrived on time (and some who picked up the tab!)..

I am going to see <insert big time popular artist>concert this evening. I have everything lined up perfectly to get out of here. The two self check ins have instructions and I will duplicate in a note in envelope on the door. The wedding night s/b fine on their own in their room.
I refuse to be LOCKED IN this place the best months of the year. I refuse. It absolutely negates what we do to be miserable when it is nice out and everything is going on right now. I won't do it, I refuse to be a slave to this place. Even tho I am,

I am going to see <insert big time popular artist>concert this evening. I have everything lined up perfectly to get out of here. The two self check ins have instructions and I will duplicate in a note in envelope on the door. The wedding night s/b fine on their own in their room.
I refuse to be LOCKED IN this place the best months of the year. I refuse. It absolutely negates what we do to be miserable when it is nice out and everything is going on right now. I won't do it, I refuse to be a slave to this place. Even tho I am,.
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! ENJOY THE CONCERT!!!!

Back