I've had it with late check-ins ....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to see <insert big time popular artist>concert this evening. I have everything lined up perfectly to get out of here. The two self check ins have instructions and I will duplicate in a note in envelope on the door. The wedding night s/b fine on their own in their room.
I refuse to be LOCKED IN this place the best months of the year. I refuse. It absolutely negates what we do to be miserable when it is nice out and everything is going on right now. I won't do it, I refuse to be a slave to this place. Even tho I am,.
Yay! Let's hear it for innkeepers that try to have a life outside the inn!! And actually leave and have fun!
teeth_smile.gif

I am going to see <insert big time popular artist>concert this evening. I have everything lined up perfectly to get out of here. The two self check ins have instructions and I will duplicate in a note in envelope on the door. The wedding night s/b fine on their own in their room.
I refuse to be LOCKED IN this place the best months of the year. I refuse. It absolutely negates what we do to be miserable when it is nice out and everything is going on right now. I won't do it, I refuse to be a slave to this place. Even tho I am,.
Enjoy!

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I refuse to be LOCKED IN this place the best months of the year. I refuse. It absolutely negates what we do to be miserable when it is nice out and everything is going on right now. I won't do it, I refuse to be a slave to this place. Even tho I am,
I'm going to see John Hiatt tonight.

OK, It's getting REALLY cold here!
Everyone checked in on time, the laundry is done AND we sat down to a hot meal and finished it before 6pm! It's a Christmas Miracle!.
wow ... you got to eat dinner let alone a hot meal on check in day? some times I think we are still finished breakfast at dinner... cold.

OK, It's getting REALLY cold here!
Everyone checked in on time, the laundry is done AND we sat down to a hot meal and finished it before 6pm! It's a Christmas Miracle!.
That's great...but the real question is, did you make it through dinner without the phone ringing? ;)

First of all, the guests who knew we would be going out were so great about it. They all had plans, paddle boat dinner cruise, wineries, walking to local restaurants and drinking beer on the porch, so that was no big deal. The wedding night - I left the key in the door and a note on our front door. Not sure when they would arrive. No email, so hard time to communicate with them. He was not easy to speak with on the phone (which I found out why later on...)
Well I was blessed to see why. We arived back from the show - which was excellent,80 degrees, starry night, the main headliner said, he is so sick of playing auditoriums and arenas and to just be out in the middle of a cow pasture with the Blue RIdge Mountains all around with a bunch of hillbillies was a dream concert for him!
wink_smile.gif

Anyway, we arrived back and our guests - wedding guests, altho I did not know it in advance, are of the "old order" very similar to Amish (at least in appearance). I have not been privileged to see their traditional wedding clothes before, and it was really really special. He, of course, looked like a little toy doll in his black and white traditional apparal and big black hat.
So that was really neat!
So this morning we delivered breakfast to them (our treat since they are locals). This is a religious ethnic comment coming up - no offense to anyone please. Dh brought the tray out and she took it from him at the door while the new husband lay in bed.
That was coffee and starter.
Then brought out the main meal and she again took it. In all the breakfast deliveries it has always been the MAN to take the tray and tray table, never the female.
So Dh came back and reported and was a little bothered by it, thinking maybe HE should have received the tray.
I said, look, don't feel bad. She has been reared toward this her entire life. She has been waiting for today since birth to be able to serve her husband.
To her, it was the greatest thing in the world. We might all disagree, and after 35 years of it, she may think differently, or maybe not. Their churches are segregated - women on one side on hard pews, men all on the other side. So it IS WHAT IT IS.
But I was fortunate to have them here. Typically they do not mingle with us, which explains the difficulty in my direct questions to the man on the phone while booking the room.

First of all, the guests who knew we would be going out were so great about it. They all had plans, paddle boat dinner cruise, wineries, walking to local restaurants and drinking beer on the porch, so that was no big deal. The wedding night - I left the key in the door and a note on our front door. Not sure when they would arrive. No email, so hard time to communicate with them. He was not easy to speak with on the phone (which I found out why later on...)
Well I was blessed to see why. We arived back from the show - which was excellent,80 degrees, starry night, the main headliner said, he is so sick of playing auditoriums and arenas and to just be out in the middle of a cow pasture with the Blue RIdge Mountains all around with a bunch of hillbillies was a dream concert for him!
wink_smile.gif

Anyway, we arrived back and our guests - wedding guests, altho I did not know it in advance, are of the "old order" very similar to Amish (at least in appearance). I have not been privileged to see their traditional wedding clothes before, and it was really really special. He, of course, looked like a little toy doll in his black and white traditional apparal and big black hat.
So that was really neat!
So this morning we delivered breakfast to them (our treat since they are locals). This is a religious ethnic comment coming up - no offense to anyone please. Dh brought the tray out and she took it from him at the door while the new husband lay in bed.
Then brought out the main meal and she again took it. In all the breakfast deliveries it has always been the MAN to take the tray and tray table, never the female.
So Dh came back and reported and was a little bothered by it, thinking maybe HE should have received the tray.
I said, look, don't feel bad. She has been reared toward this her entire life. She has been waiting for today since birth to be able to serve her husband.
To her, it was the greatest thing in the world. We might all disagree, and after 35 years of it, she may think differently, or maybe not. Their churches are segregated - women on one side on hard pews, men all on the other side. So it IS WHAT IT IS.
But I was fortunate to have them here. Typically they do not mingle with us, which explains the difficulty in my direct questions to the man on the phone while booking the room..
JBJ - Very interesting. As innkeepers I think we have appreciation for a lot of other cultures - whether we 'agree' with them or not. I enjoy haveing the opportunity to at least understand the ways of those that do not think like me. And at times, I think I am the only one on the planet that thinks like me - including DH. LOL

wink_smile.gif

So that was really neat!
But I was fortunate to have them here. Typically they do not mingle with us, which explains the difficulty in my direct questions to the man on the phone while booking the room..
That truly is cool!
As to the waiting on (a term many use when they mean waiting for) her husband, it was the norm not too long ago.
I was brought up straddling a fence (and the points of that pickett fence HURT!). My old-school Mother beat me over the head with - "if your man gets transferred to Timbuktu, you go with a smile... etc. You do whatever to keep him happy becaus if you don't, someone else will," At the SAME time, both she and Daddy were telling me I could do whatever I made up my mind to do. So that is why I still make chocolate pudding when I am too tired to spit at him AND why there is then triple butter in the pudding. DH is not totally "olden-days" (or I would have walked Looong ago!) but enough to fry the traditional one last nerve at just the right time.
We know we work hard - if they are totally traditional, what we do is a "walk in the park" to what she will be doing.

wink_smile.gif

So that was really neat!
JBJ - Very interesting. As innkeepers I think we have appreciation for a lot of other cultures - whether we 'agree' with them or not. I enjoy haveing the opportunity to at least understand the ways of those that do not think like me. And at times, I think I am the only one on the planet that thinks like me - including DH. LOL
Copperhead said:
Speaking of DH. As guests left yesterday I was giving directions to one lady and was just not sure if she "understood" me for some reason. There was NO CONNECTION.
I looked over at DH later on and expressed to him the situation - she was nice enough, just no understanding or communication or something, "Ya know how there are some people who just cannot figure out their line of thinking, ya know, you never really know if you are communicating?"
Then as he stared back at me like a deer in the headlights, I just broke out laughing.
Yeah, mars/venus things. Yeah right. He knows what I am trying to say, yeah righto...never mind.

wink_smile.gif

So that was really neat!
That truly is cool!
As to the waiting on (a term many use when they mean waiting for) her husband, it was the norm not too long ago.
I was brought up straddling a fence (and the points of that pickett fence HURT!). My old-school Mother beat me over the head with - "if your man gets transferred to Timbuktu, you go with a smile... etc. You do whatever to keep him happy becaus if you don't, someone else will," At the SAME time, both she and Daddy were telling me I could do whatever I made up my mind to do. So that is why I still make chocolate pudding when I am too tired to spit at him AND why there is then triple butter in the pudding. DH is not totally "olden-days" (or I would have walked Looong ago!) but enough to fry the traditional one last nerve at just the right time.
We know we work hard - if they are totally traditional, what we do is a "walk in the park" to what she will be doing.
gillumhouse said:
Yes, dairy farmers, and the women don't just knit, they work the fields as well as all the other familial duties. But I thought it was really neat they were "here." They broke protocol to stay here anyway. When I spoke to him I had no idea of this background, but I did a big "ah ha" when I saw him. I thought he was just shy on the phone.
Trust me, DH was probably admiring the breakfast in bed as he was the one delivering it out there and washing up from guests this morning. Shhhhh don't tell anyone.
He still watches NASCAR and saw his favorite driver win Bristol last night. HE's A MAN. He just has a tired out innkeeper for a wife. As Bree reminded me, "Ya want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen!"

wink_smile.gif

So that was really neat!
That truly is cool!
gillumhouse said:
Yes, dairy farmers, and the women don't just knit, they work the fields as well as all the other familial duties. But I thought it was really neat they were "here." They broke protocol to stay here anyway. When I spoke to him I had no idea of this background, but I did a big "ah ha" when I saw him. I thought he was just shy on the phone.
Trust me, DH was probably admiring the breakfast in bed as he was the one delivering it out there and washing up from guests this morning. Shhhhh don't tell anyone.
He still watches NASCAR and saw his favorite driver win Bristol last night. HE's A MAN. He just has a tired out innkeeper for a wife. As Bree reminded me, "Ya want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen!"
Indeed it was a lovely thoughtful gesture for him to have brought her to a B & B. To give her a honeymoon of pampering is something many men would not even think of.
I know the things she will be doing and working the fields, the garden, tending to the milking paraphanalia, kids, and household stuff does not even begin to cover what she will be doing. She will have very little time for anything she wants to do - even if she thought about something she wanted to do. There is no way I want to go back to living on our farm. I have become very "soft" over the years.

Very cool!
Around here, Old Order is Amish... we just have the strict Amish, unlike those modern types over in PA. Did they bring a buggy or did someone drop them off? Too cool!!!
=)
Kk.

Very cool!
Around here, Old Order is Amish... we just have the strict Amish, unlike those modern types over in PA. Did they bring a buggy or did someone drop them off? Too cool!!!
=)
Kk..
Surprisingly, we have a large and thriving Mennonite community...and of course, being 26 miles from the Utah border...a large LDS community.

wink_smile.gif

So that was really neat!
That truly is cool!
gillumhouse said:
Indeed it was a lovely thoughtful gesture for him to have brought her to a B & B. To give her a honeymoon of pampering is something many men would not even think of.
I know the things she will be doing and working the fields, the garden, tending to the milking paraphanalia, kids, and household stuff does not even begin to cover what she will be doing. She will have very little time for anything she wants to do - even if she thought about something she wanted to do. There is no way I want to go back to living on our farm. I have become very "soft" over the years.
gillumhouse said:
Yes, see there it is, I knew there something really neat about this, other than feeling privileged they stayed with us.
They spilled coffee on the quilt, which is washing now, fortunately had cream in the coffee, but told us about it. So that was good.
YS - not Amish ,they are German Baptists, Not Old German Baptists as they drive buggies. but OLD ORDER of GERMAN BAPTISTS, the same Daniel Boone was, and in fact many in this county are BOONES. If you did not know the difference you would think by appearance they were Amish (of course dress is different, but old style). They drive vehicles. This has changed just in the last 40 years or so here. At first it was only big black sedans, now they drive mini vans and cars.
Here is a book written about our local OOGB
scrollpublishing-gbmen.jpg

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg

wink_smile.gif

So that was really neat!
That truly is cool!
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Yes, see there it is, I knew there something really neat about this, other than feeling privileged they stayed with us.
They spilled coffee on the quilt, which is washing now, fortunately had cream in the coffee, but told us about it. So that was good.
YS - not Amish ,they are German Baptists, Not Old German Baptists as they drive buggies. but OLD ORDER of GERMAN BAPTISTS, the same Daniel Boone was, and in fact many in this county are BOONES. If you did not know the difference you would think by appearance they were Amish (of course dress is different, but old style). They drive vehicles. This has changed just in the last 40 years or so here. At first it was only big black sedans, now they drive mini vans and cars.

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg

Was reading about your OOGB on Wikipedia... they are related to our Brethren which we have here in Ashland. There was a three-way split and the OOGB were the ultra-conservative, non-progressive. Two other churches came out of that split, one of which founded our college here. That church split again in 1939, mostly over whether the college should be a Bible college or a liberal arts school (which is what it is). There are two big Brethren churches here from that split, and I have friends in both. I always wondered what the difference was... now I understand it better.
Very cool that they were able to stay there for their wedding night!!! Thanks for sharing that.
=)
Kk.

wink_smile.gif

So that was really neat!
That truly is cool!
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg

Was reading about your OOGB on Wikipedia... they are related to our Brethren which we have here in Ashland. There was a three-way split and the OOGB were the ultra-conservative, non-progressive. Two other churches came out of that split, one of which founded our college here. That church split again in 1939, mostly over whether the college should be a Bible college or a liberal arts school (which is what it is). There are two big Brethren churches here from that split, and I have friends in both. I always wondered what the difference was... now I understand it better.
Very cool that they were able to stay there for their wedding night!!! Thanks for sharing that.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Yes it is very interesting - historically speaking - I am not trying to talk faiths and all that here. Lifestyle wise, and culture. We have Brethren and Brick Brethren and all of those off shoots here as well. I know they are in Michigan and Ohio. I thought you would pick up on that. Except like all denoms there are liberal and conservative strains. Meaning drive cars or SUV's, etc.
Unlike the Amish tho, they are given the choice to leave the group and not shunned. So many still live and work on the same farms here in our county. Also Mennonites, which again is the same liberal or conservative leaning, we had a Mennonite pastor at our breakfast table with his laptop and jogging shorts on.
They are beautiful people here in this county, hard working, determined, and participatants in our town and county. But they are passivists. Example is when one road was going to divide this very large dairy farm and nearly destroy it, the people in our town went to the town meetings in their honor, since they would not do so, or oppose the gmvt in any way.
They attend public and/or pivate schools in this community.
I learn every day living here. I am always learning.

Back