Jet Blue flight attendant gets ignored, hit in head, yelled at and becomes folk hero for running from plane

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is travel related.
I for one, think we need more folk heroes!

Flight attendant Stephen Slater went the full Costanza and quit just before his JetBlue flight was to take off from JFK, riding a chute right onto the tarmac. (Here is the youtube of the full Costanza)

In a move fitting for an action flick, Slater then grabbed his two bags -- and a can of beer from the galley -- and popped the lever for the airliner's inflatable chute before sliding to the tarmac outside the terminal door.

Read more:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/nyregion/10attendant.html?_r=1

No telling what he had gone through that day (previous flights). Gone are the days where a flight attendent is considered a classy job. - Remember the '60's - it was a girls dream job! Now, when I have to fly, all is see are stressed to the max faces being bellowed at by cranky old hoots that fly on a daily basis.
Interesting to note that at the bottom of the article they mention his interests as listed on Face b ook and info from his Lin kedin accounts. We are all an open book now.

Which is also odd cuz if you raise your voice or anything they will boot you right off a plane these days. I laughed when I read this story tho, for 26 years this guy has wanted to hit that chute and get the heck out of dodge. ha ha

Think of some of your PITAs and think about rather than having another room to flee to or brekkie being over so they are out or leave - you are stuck in a large cigar made of metal and 30,000 feet in the air so there is nowhere to go! You are stuck listening to Madam Grumblegutts for several hours in addition to the crying baby, the white-knuckled terrified of flying hanging over the barf bag, the businessman who lost the last sale and is on his way home to face the boss and his wife who is waiting to restart the argument so is VERY testy, some very sweet people, but the rest of them are hunfry and the airline no longer serves food OR snacks.........
I am surprised he lasted 28 years!

No telling what he had gone through that day (previous flights). Gone are the days where a flight attendent is considered a classy job. - Remember the '60's - it was a girls dream job! Now, when I have to fly, all is see are stressed to the max faces being bellowed at by cranky old hoots that fly on a daily basis.
Interesting to note that at the bottom of the article they mention his interests as listed on Face b ook and info from his Lin kedin accounts. We are all an open book now..
Keep in mind the aritcle was from the NY Post. Not exactly the Washington Post. No salacious detail left out, including what he did when he got home...

You are so right I couldn't do it as you are trapped in there with them. The hours are crap and in this country the pay is apauling about minimum wage. They don't tell you to do things for a laugh but for a reason he should have done as he was told and the chap should have done him for assult for hitting him in the head! He shouldn't have done it really but In my heart I am cheering him on.

i would like to know why that passenger is not being called out for
1. disobeying the directions of the flight attendant and opening the overhead compartment
2. striking the flight attendant in the head with the compartment door by his/her? action
3. telling the flight attendant to
potty-mouth.gif

4. not apologizing
not all flight attendants are saints and not all passengers are evil, but some of the nonsense that i've seen some passengers pull on airplanes makes me wonder why more attendants don't lose it.

another version of the story
all i know is there are days when i'd love to escape from whatever job i'm doing by sliding down an emergency chute. best would be to have a motorcycle waiting to roar off on ... or at least a moped.

all i know is there are days when i'd love to escape from whatever job i'm doing by sliding down an emergency chute. best would be to have a motorcycle waiting to roar off on ... or at least a moped..
seashanty said:
all i know is there are days when i'd love to escape from whatever job i'm doing by sliding down an emergency chute. best would be to have a motorcycle waiting to roar off on ... or at least a moped.
Oh, it just gets better an better, doesn't it? I guess there have to be some regs that were broken in this, but who wouldn't understand the absolute NEED to get away from people like that! You have to like the taking of the beer on the way out!
See, here's a case that fits what that innkeeper said the other day about partners getting each other out of harm's way...if that same passenger started in on the flight attendant at the beginning of the flight, someone else should have handled the same passenger's disobedience at the end of the flight.

all i know is there are days when i'd love to escape from whatever job i'm doing by sliding down an emergency chute. best would be to have a motorcycle waiting to roar off on ... or at least a moped..
seashanty said:
or even a pair of roller skates!
Well your story gives me thought to JET BLUE getting media attention like ye ol' daredevil stunt promoter himself Sir Richard Branson.

JetBlueFreedom1.jpg

"Artist's" interpretation of Steven Slater exiting the plane..
Too funny! He is now an American Folk hero. His attorney said last night that he didn't even know all of this had made the press. Hundreds on TV cameras in front of the jail. You can tell folks are just plain fed up with all of it!

JetBlueFreedom1.jpg

Too funny! He is now an American Folk hero. His attorney said last night that he didn't even know all of this had made the press. Hundreds on TV cameras in front of the jail. You can tell folks are just plain fed up with all of it!
He has over 100,000 fans on his Facebook page. Plus a photo of kittens going down a slide - apparently there is a theme here.

JetBlueFreedom1.jpg

We flew from NM to NJ on a flight with a woman who refused to turn off any of her gadgets. She had every electronic device known turned on and ran all of them thru the landing. The flight attendants had to sit down and she knew it. Then, as the plane taxied immediately after landing, she jumped up out of her seat and started hauling all of her stuff out of the overhead bin and was hitting the other passengers with it. She pushed her way off the plane. Seriously, just bumped people out of the way.
Toasty spot in hell for her.
I have no idea how the flight attendants put up with that all day long.

See I am of the opposite mentality, to me the flight attendants are always huddling away out of site gossiping and never serving their customers.

JetBlueFreedom1.jpg

We flew from NM to NJ on a flight with a woman who refused to turn off any of her gadgets. She had every electronic device known turned on and ran all of them thru the landing. The flight attendants had to sit down and she knew it. Then, as the plane taxied immediately after landing, she jumped up out of her seat and started hauling all of her stuff out of the overhead bin and was hitting the other passengers with it. She pushed her way off the plane. Seriously, just bumped people out of the way.
Toasty spot in hell for her.
I have no idea how the flight attendants put up with that all day long.
See I am with you on that one. SO many rude flyers out there. Someone made the suggestion that there should be seatbelts that stay locked on the passengers until the pilot pushes a release button when they are stopped at the gate. SOunds good to me. I think it should be done row by row..that way no pushing and shoving to get out. That is the most ridiculous part of the flight...I HATE IT!

people like that appliance woman make me crazy they don't tell you these things for a laugh it is to stop the plane crashing! surley this is in your interest? Same thing with the pushing off the plane. In this country they actually measure your hand luggage so that keeps it down you are only allowed a bag the size of a large hand bag and that is it.

Flyers are angry by the time they FINALLY get on the plane IMO. By the time they have had to take off their shoes and get to walk on unsanitary floors picking up who knows what from those bare feet in front of them and from the last boarding group and the previous group and the previous day, losing any expensive shampoo or other products they forgot to remove before leaving home, being herded like cattle, their purses and suitcases gone through or scanned, and then getting a body scan with who knows what ramifications down the road, then sitting on the tarmack for who knows how long before takeoff and then again after lamnding.... So now we have a metal cigar filled with frustrated passengers (could someone PLEASE slip that crying baby (or worse yet crabby, whiney kid) a Mickey?) and flight attendants who have been the butt of these angry people for hours on end.... And we are surprised one went gonzo?

Back