"Just crashing."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, the guest doesn't need or want breakfast. They're 'just crashing' after a wedding. And, apparently, there are a lot more of them for that same wedding. Did not know that until today.

Bree:
They're not bed and breakfast people, to be sure.
We had a similar comment recently. The group reserved two rooms for one night about two weeks from now. They are on a road trip and just need a place to "hang their hats." We told them we were a bed & breakfast, not a hotel. They didn't rent rooms at the interstate hotels so that they could walk home from the bars. I'm expecting them to decline breakfast.
Just today we get an email stating that they might have to cancel due to a family emergency. Might be better off if they do, as we were expecting some drunk guests.

Bree:
We had a similar comment recently. The group reserved two rooms for one night about two weeks from now. They are on a road trip and just need a place to "hang their hats." We told them we were a bed & breakfast, not a hotel. They didn't rent rooms at the interstate hotels so that they could walk home from the bars. I'm expecting them to decline breakfast.
Just today we get an email stating that they might have to cancel due to a family emergency. Might be better off if they do, as we were expecting some drunk guests..
Well, if you'd like a huge lesson on policy from someone who just took an 11 night booking yesterday for an arrival on Sunday at a huge extended stay discount and just cancelled today wanting all fees waived.
Make sure these people are fully informed and in agreement on your cancellation policy.
I should have known when it was this guy's wife acting as his last minute travel agent and never speaking with him directly that I should have crossed all my "T"s and dotted all my "I"s.
If you all could see the flames coming out of my ears right now. Where is that dang bourbon of mine?

Bree:
Just today we get an email stating that they might have to cancel due to a family emergency. Might be better off if they do, as we were expecting some drunk guests..
Well, if you'd like a huge lesson on policy from someone who just took an 11 night booking yesterday for an arrival on Sunday at a huge extended stay discount and just cancelled today wanting all fees waived.
Make sure these people are fully informed and in agreement on your cancellation policy.
I should have known when it was this guy's wife acting as his last minute travel agent and never speaking with him directly that I should have crossed all my "T"s and dotted all my "I"s.
If you all could see the flames coming out of my ears right now. Where is that dang bourbon of mine?
I'm going to let my guests cancel if they want. We did some checking around: they've stayed in this area before on their "road trip" and the past three years have been caught skinny-dipping in a local beach, after hours.
One manager who put them up in guest rooms said "expect sand in your sheets"...
Oh, did I mention they are 50 years old?
Sheesh!

sound like my kind of people ... what's wrong with folks in their 50's skinny dipping?
wink_smile.gif
sorry redbirds, couldn't resist.

sound like my kind of people ... what's wrong with folks in their 50's skinny dipping?
wink_smile.gif
sorry redbirds, couldn't resist..
seashanty said:
wink_smile.gif
I was going to say the same thing. There are plenty of hot people in their 50's. How about George Clooney or Michelle Pheiffer?
Speaking for myself, George can skinny dip at my place anytime.
heart.gif
thumbs_up.gif

wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
wink_smile.gif
I was going to say the same thing. There are plenty of hot people in their 50's. How about George Clooney or Michelle Pheiffer?
heart.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Sorry FD, George is in Italy attending the G8 summit. Since when do movie stars do that? Also, saw him kissing Italian grandmothers. Guess it was a publicity stunt.

wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
wink_smile.gif
heart.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Sorry FD, George is in Italy attending the G8 summit. Since when do movie stars do that? Also, saw him kissing Italian grandmothers. Guess it was a publicity stunt.
SweetiePie said:
No worries. The invite still stands. *waits patiently*

wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
what's wrong with folks in their 50's skinny dipping?
Because for most of us it's "Chunky Dunking"
omg_smile.gif
There's a reason we do it with the lights off!

wink_smile.gif
Ha! Good point! Don't worry - DW and I aren't prudes by any stretch of the imagination.
wink_smile.gif

However, these are five guys who have been banished during past "dippings" due to trespassing, and when confronted by security said the manager told them it was ok (not true). They used "hard bargaining" with DW to finagle two rooms and they're bringing air mattresses - something we don't normally allow.
Haven't heard yet whether they are cancelling or not. I'm hoping they do.

if they are trouble, why give in to the hard bargaining? sound like pita's??

if they are trouble, why give in to the hard bargaining? sound like pita's??.
We learned all the details of past visits only after the booking took place. We asked around and discovered their "activities" from the manager of the rooms they used. After three years she finally said "enough" and told them that she didn't have any rooms for that week.
She said they were nice guys, but we should expect them to be drunk and leave sand in the sheets!
We're not sure if PITA material yet, but we'll see.

We learned all the details of past visits only after the booking took place. We asked around and discovered their "activities" from the manager of the rooms they used. After three years she finally said "enough" and told them that she didn't have any rooms for that week.
She said they were nice guys, but we should expect them to be drunk and leave sand in the sheets!
Redbirds said:
Sound like perfect B&B guests! Not!
I think the sheer evidence that the other innkeeper doesn't want them back should be weighed a litle more heavily when giving these guys the check in tour and good behavior "hints" if they show up.
I definitely wouldn't figure out how NOT to get them to come or keep hoping they cancel, but with their track record, it oughta be a pretty short leash they get if you have other guests at the same time.
While we're no teetotalers ourselves, we make it real clear that visible inebriation isn't something we tolerate much of. Just too many things can go wrong and if an accident or incident occur between one of them and another guest, you've got a major liability on your hands if you just avoid them in the evenings and corss your fingers.
We love to have people enjoy themselves and celebrate life to the fullest, but the minute it interferes with another guest or even our comfort zone or safety, its nipped, or they leave.

Redbirds said:
Sound like perfect B&B guests! Not!
I think the sheer evidence that the other innkeeper doesn't want them back should be weighed a litle more heavily when giving these guys the check in tour and good behavior "hints" if they show up.
I definitely wouldn't figure out how NOT to get them to come or keep hoping they cancel, but with their track record, it oughta be a pretty short leash they get if you have other guests at the same time.
While we're no teetotalers ourselves, we make it real clear that visible inebriation isn't something we tolerate much of. Just too many things can go wrong and if an accident or incident occur between one of them and another guest, you've got a major liability on your hands if you just avoid them in the evenings and corss your fingers.
We love to have people enjoy themselves and celebrate life to the fullest, but the minute it interferes with another guest or even our comfort zone or safety, its nipped, or they leave.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Good points. We had a group here last year who pretty much had gone thru every other B&B in town to the point the guy booking the stay wouldn't even talk to me outside, he didn't want anyone to see him and tip me off. Ah, too late, it's a small town, I already knew his name. When we got the lowdown on what their particular problems had been elsewhere, we pretty much set up the rules of engagement for them and they toed the line very well. To the point that they'd be welcome again this year if they choose to come. We were very clear on what was theirs to use and what was off limits. It worked out just fine all around.

Back