Just Don't Do it!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I just want to ask, what is the benefit of this forum? Is there a benefit beyond thread counts?
Could it be some here have experience we can learn from? Are we just here to "talk?"
I just read an extremely lengthy response to a mediocre review and I cringed. I cringed because going point by point does not make the innkeeper look good, at all, it makes me feel like if I stayed there I would be lectured! The guests may have been insane and ignorant, but it is only compounding the issue. I feel it is better if you never replied at all than reply in this manner.
Let's discuss this, I feel this is something paramount to our whole "public reviews" business lives. For one we all need to remind each other "DO NOT RESPOND WHEN YOU EMOTIONS ARE HIGH" give some sorry mate that's too bad and then please allow a few days to think about a logical short response that gives you the high road. Explaining point by point is what we all want to do, in every angle of our lives, right wrongs and all of that.
Just Don't Do it!
Don't respond, or in fact ask your other-half to respond and compare notes, or respond eagerly and then toss that one in the tank, just to get it out of your system!

Friendship, that's the reason I have for coming here every day. Yes, I get good info, too. But you're all my pals. (Like in real life, some of you I like a lot better than others, some of you I barely know and some of you I swear we were separated at birth! Some of you annoy me so much I have you on ignore. But I'm sure the same is true for you about me, so no harm, no foul.)
There are days I should do exactly what you say and just 'don't do it'. I should walk away from the forum and not respond when my Irish is up. I should know better.
As for responding to guest reviews, again, my best resource is the gang here. I have done this before and I would do it again in a heartbeat...ASK YOU GUYS if my review response is being too sensitive (guaranteed to be a yes), too judgmental (again, in the heat of the moment guaranteed to be a yes) and too idiotic. You've come thru time and again.
Thank you one and all.

If it wasn't for this forum I would never have been prepared to open my B&B. I don't always chime in, but I read everything written. When I get a bad review (I know it'll happen) I'll be in a much better position to respond. Without you guys, I'm not sure that I'd even know that Tr ipadvisor exists!
I too consider you all like friends and family.

I'm experiencing what I propose is my next career through you all :)
Interesting thing is.....I am finding many similarities between what you all do and what I am currently doing. Just that the work is different

How empty my life would be without my innmates. Good, bad, or indifferent it is good to get so many perspectives plus the "Gee, I never thought of that" factor. The knowing we have the SOSK, getting the "poor baby" when most needed, and a place to vent when I am ready to become a widow are all bennies of being here. Plus I have met some VERY neat people!

I love coming here and reading what's up with everyone and seeing the comraderie that surfaces when someone has a problem.
It's my water cooler.
RIki

Keep the articles and good info coming. Don't know how you make the time for all your posts, but they are much appreciated!

This is my "sane" pill-cause I tend to worry about so much, I just put it in here and get all kinds of suggestions and so much more-it is one of my greatest times on the computer and the web and could not possibly have come this far without this forum..

This fantastic forum allows me to be anticipate and avoid many problems. Good example, in case of a "bad review", I have been forwarned, when it happens I will be ultra short and nice (at least try to....) remembering the feedback on the forum.

This forum has helped put in to perspective so many issues with this odd profession. Much more informative, insightful and downright interesting than other B&B innkeeper sites.
This is an unusual and unusually demanding business that practically nobody outside could really understand. I certainly had no idea - no matter what research and due diligence I did beforehand. I guess you could say that from the inside of most businesses, but this forum really offers a comprehensive platform for discussion of absolutely every area of The Second Oldest Profession.
For instance, yesterday I was ready to quit and sell. Yes, It Was That Bad. Today, after reading many posts - I realize A) I'm not special and B) I'm not alone.
Thanks to everybody, past, present and future
Basil

This forum has helped put in to perspective so many issues with this odd profession. Much more informative, insightful and downright interesting than other B&B innkeeper sites.
This is an unusual and unusually demanding business that practically nobody outside could really understand. I certainly had no idea - no matter what research and due diligence I did beforehand. I guess you could say that from the inside of most businesses, but this forum really offers a comprehensive platform for discussion of absolutely every area of The Second Oldest Profession.
For instance, yesterday I was ready to quit and sell. Yes, It Was That Bad. Today, after reading many posts - I realize A) I'm not special and B) I'm not alone.
Basil.
You are wrong babe you are special!
regular_smile.gif
believe me we all have days like that for example on Friday night woken up by the dip S****S next door then woken up in the early hours of the AM by the room above me! complete zoo all day but today is another day lol.

Basil.
Basil Fawlty said:
Basil
There is only one you, and you are very special and unique. Each day what you encounter only happens to you, of all the people in the world, and how you deal with it is a gift only you have.
We can share, we are not alone, we are all in this together! Come here any time you need us!

Basil.
Basil Fawlty said:
Basil
There is only one you, and you are very special and unique. Each day what you encounter only happens to you, of all the people in the world, and how you deal with it is a gift only you have.
We can share, we are not alone, we are all in this together! Come here any time you need us!
I know im a bit spoiled as I have everyone on here as well as a good solid trade association in my town where we all back each other and fight our corner but I appreciate many especially those in a rural location is can be very isolating and to be always "on" without anyone to gripe to. Me I like a challenge so anything I can push against is good. At the moment it is trying to work out how to afford to buy out my neighbour without its renovation costs swallowing me whole! wish me luck.

Back