Just looking for now...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Guest User interface of ThinkReservations better than RK, and since John seems to think upgrading the backend of RK is more important than the frontend, and is not very receptive lately to correcting existing issues before moving on.... I hear ya HillBill!.
I would like to see the backend improved as that is what I work with the most with clients and have it be more user friendly. You obviously hav regular contact with him so I don't know what issues concern you but backend has to function too
EmptyNest said:
I would like to see the backend improved as that is what I work with the most with clients and have it be more user friendly. You obviously hav regular contact with him so I don't know what issues concern you but backend has to function too
I really didn't plan on going into the discussion but I will say a few things. These are just a handful of comments. Some go to a personal level for me that I will not go into.
For me I'm fine with him upgrading the backend. It does need some work I agree. That said, I believe what you already have should fully work before spending time to be able to update the color in the backend. I'm receiving complaints from guests on a regular bases and I have to constantly work the software to make it work. Its time to take a look around to see if anything else might work better for my business. I know I have lost reservations because if issues that have never been fixed. My customers don't like issues and many go elsewhere when they can't make a reservation. In this case I'm the customer and its time to look elsewhere.
Well Hillb, I have surprise guests tonight who booked online, didn't get a confirmation but showed up today. Fortunately I was home and was able to do some quick details. Health challenges with a close family member have kept me away from home 6 nights out of 7 recently.
I know I asked folks here to do a test reservation a few months ago and for most no problem, but guests thinking they have booked but not getting confirmation (and me not knowing until they phone, or now, just show up) is ice too thin for me. I've been looking a bit too.
I agree that this is user error. I get calls every now and then from folks telling me that they've booked and never received a confirmation. It's because they didn't finalize. Although, one could argue that there may have been a momentary system glitch. There have been less issues with this since John switched to Amazon servers. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a common occurrence.
Well, its happened 5 or 6 times, and all those times the guests have phoned to confirm. Yesterday I didn't have bookings, or so I thought. I was finishing up Thanksgiving dinner to take to homebound family member. While having thanksgiving dinner elsewhere, I got the call from someone asking how to get the key. I knew I had guests for Friday, but had no clue anyone had booked for Thanksgiving night until the phone call. I told the guest I would be there after 7p, and to just take time with his family, that the inn would be unlocked when they arrived. This was at 6p.
Fortunately, I know the family, so don't have to anticipate the negative review, but - this did not happen with the previous engine, and I think this is the wake up call for me.
Tonight's guests, booked online, no issues. Its so random, and right now, with other issues going on, is not the time for this kind or surprise.
I have same day bookings blocked. they get the waiting list form
gillumhouse said:
I have had people tell me they booked a room when I have it blocked. And we don't do B-com or any other way for anyone to book that date, it is off,100% off.
Wait, wasn't I just complaining about this? Last week they booked Thurs. We were closed Tues and Wed. Then called to say they messed up and wanted WED and THURS. Then they called and said Oops we only want Wed. Then the weekend before called and said they wanted Wed and TUES and oj by the way we only want Tues.
And so it went from allowing them on the night we are not open to backtracking and taking advantage.We told them we can accept the rez on WED only,we are not open Tues (I was at a conference). So they took it and at breakfast they told me they wished we were open they really wanted...

OH REALLY? NO KIDDING. DH asked me that evening if they brought it up? Yep, of course they did.
That stuff drives me nuts. 'Oh, we want this night but the system only let us book that night so can you fix it for us?' Um, you couldn't book this night because there are no rooms available. Then, yes, if they do come on that night, they whinge.
For Pete's sake, we are not the only place to stay in this town of mine! Pick another place rather than whining to me you had to change your plans. What is that about anyway?

I'm with Arks on this one. I BCC myself with every reservation from my site. So far no surprises. Now mind you, I'm pretty slow right now but when I was running at about 95% occupancy, I would have died if someone just showed up without a reservation.

I'm with Arks on this one. I BCC myself with every reservation from my site. So far no surprises. Now mind you, I'm pretty slow right now but when I was running at about 95% occupancy, I would have died if someone just showed up without a reservation..
I have it set to same, emails at every reservation that goes through.

I like the Guest User interface of ThinkReservations better than RK, and since John seems to think upgrading the backend of RK is more important than the frontend, and is not very receptive lately to correcting existing issues before moving on.... I hear ya HillBill!.
EmptyNest said:
I really didn't plan on going into the discussion but I will say a few things. These are just a handful of comments. Some go to a personal level for me that I will not go into.
For me I'm fine with him upgrading the backend. It does need some work I agree. That said, I believe what you already have should fully work before spending time to be able to update the color in the backend. I'm receiving complaints from guests on a regular bases and I have to constantly work the software to make it work. Its time to take a look around to see if anything else might work better for my business. I know I have lost reservations because if issues that have never been fixed. My customers don't like issues and many go elsewhere when they can't make a reservation. In this case I'm the customer and its time to look elsewhere.
Well Hillb, I have surprise guests tonight who booked online, didn't get a confirmation but showed up today. Fortunately I was home and was able to do some quick details. Health challenges with a close family member have kept me away from home 6 nights out of 7 recently.
I know I asked folks here to do a test reservation a few months ago and for most no problem, but guests thinking they have booked but not getting confirmation (and me not knowing until they phone, or now, just show up) is ice too thin for me. I've been looking a bit too.
I agree that this is user error. I get calls every now and then from folks telling me that they've booked and never received a confirmation. It's because they didn't finalize. Although, one could argue that there may have been a momentary system glitch. There have been less issues with this since John switched to Amazon servers. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a common occurrence.
Well, its happened 5 or 6 times, and all those times the guests have phoned to confirm. Yesterday I didn't have bookings, or so I thought. I was finishing up Thanksgiving dinner to take to homebound family member. While having thanksgiving dinner elsewhere, I got the call from someone asking how to get the key. I knew I had guests for Friday, but had no clue anyone had booked for Thanksgiving night until the phone call. I told the guest I would be there after 7p, and to just take time with his family, that the inn would be unlocked when they arrived. This was at 6p.
Fortunately, I know the family, so don't have to anticipate the negative review, but - this did not happen with the previous engine, and I think this is the wake up call for me.
Tonight's guests, booked online, no issues. Its so random, and right now, with other issues going on, is not the time for this kind or surprise.
He told me he booked a week ago.
Skamokawa said:
I want to trouble shoot it for you, but I can't from here. You know we want to always solve things on the forum, please don't be offended Skamok. I know there are glitches in every program.
So on your side there was nothing,and on their side there was nothing, and they didn't get a confirmation which meant they didn't have a reservation.
Just saying this because I put a note on my program that reads if you don't get a reservation confirmation you have not reserved the room,to please call or email: xuc@
JBloggs said:
I put a note on my program that reads if you don't get a reservation confirmation you have not reserved the room,to please call or email: xuc@
Same here. I put it at the top of the reservation page, in bold, all caps. Since I put it there, I have had a few contact me saying they made a reservation but didn't get a confirmation. So they're reading it and it's helping.
In those cases where they contacted me about no confirmation, I didn't have any record at my end of a reservation, and no deposit received from Authorize dot net, so I know they never finalized the reservation.
Glad they contact me and we can get it taken care of. I love the ResKey feature where I can send them a secure online payment link after I make the reservation manually at my end. That has solved so many problems!

EmptyNest said:
Skamokawa said:
I want to trouble shoot it for you, but I can't from here. You know we want to always solve things on the forum, please don't be offended Skamok. I know there are glitches in every program.
So on your side there was nothing,and on their side there was nothing, and they didn't get a confirmation which meant they didn't have a reservation.
Just saying this because I put a note on my program that reads if you don't get a reservation confirmation you have not reserved the room,to please call or email: xuc@
Yes, I haven't checked if I included that note or not.
Throw whatever comments my way. It's all in aid of doing a better job.
wink_smile.gif

I decided I needed to become the Christmas H.Billy that I met. So I changed my avatar to bring back that fun time.

I decided I needed to become the Christmas H.Billy that I met. So I changed my avatar to bring back that fun time..
JBloggs said:
I decided I needed to become the Christmas H.Billy that I met. So I changed my avatar to bring back that fun time.
Me too! What a good time we had!

We use webreserve. No issues..
I like their guest interface. I haven't seen the backside, but it sounds good from their website. Their website isn't very transparent on their prices. Do you also use them as your card processor? Is that required?What do they charge for that?
All their website says, is starting at $39.99/month.

I am actually in the same boat here and have been using RK for several years but have been looking for some other options over the past several months. I am looking more closely at a product called InnGenius right now and am wondering if anyone in this forum has tried them or are using them. It really is a daunting task looking at systems and trying to understand how they do various functions. Many tell you they do all kinds of things until you actually try it to see their understanding and yours are different.
Thanks in advance for any feedback if you are using InnGenius

Back