Just plain rude

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Got up this morning to find that a family of 4 who had to leave at 4:30 AM had trashed the kitchen. They used an entire 2 qts of milk, left cereal bowls & boxes all over. It was so bad we had to clean the kitchen before we could use it to prepare breakfast. They used my decorative towels to wipe up something dirty (BIG roll of paper towels right there) and just made themselves very UNwelcome here.
We had invited them to have cereal as they had to leave so early. We didn't invite them to use the kitchen and clean us out completely. Making a milk run at 7 AM is NOT on the list of things to do.

OH no....Sorry to hear that..how rude and inconsiderate people are!!! I might be tempted to send them an email later telling them how disappointed you were that they did that to your kitchen. I would certainly put them on my DO NOT TAKE AGAIN list!

That is really rude to make such a mess like that!
omg_smile.gif

Did you have the cereal & dishes and other supplies set out for them to use since they were getting up so early? Coffee on a timer or something?
If not, maybe if this were to happen again you could set out everything on your guest service island with a note that included something like, "We have reserved this breakfast just for your party. You can find your milk in the guest fridge. blah, blah, blah. Health Department regulations prohibit guests from using the inn kitchen."
You really do need to get a folding screen or something at least to set up a visual barrier for your kitchen with a BIG SIGN! I saw some nice screens recently at Pier 1.

i am sorry. this is why i set out a cooler with milk and juice for early leavers because sometimes they will either use (or waste) a large quantity of milk and juice if they have access to it or leave it sitting out to spoil.
not always. some folks are very careful, very quiet, very neat.
confused_smile.gif

omg_smile.gif

Did you have the cereal & dishes and other supplies set out for them to use since they were getting up so early? Coffee on a timer or something?
If not, maybe if this were to happen again you could set out everything on your guest service island with a note that included something like, "We have reserved this breakfast just for your party. You can find your milk in the guest fridge. blah, blah, blah. Health Department regulations prohibit guests from using the inn kitchen."
You really do need to get a folding screen or something at least to set up a visual barrier for your kitchen with a BIG SIGN! I saw some nice screens recently at Pier 1..
Yes, I think a nice folding screen with a note pinned to it saying" Due to health dept. regulations, guests are not permitted to be in the kitchen area"
You have way too much invasion into that space that you REALLY need to do something about it. This mornings event would have me livid!
here are some nice ones
Penney's has some ..not as nice looking as the other site...but there is no shipping cost right now. Worth a try.

OH no....Sorry to hear that..how rude and inconsiderate people are!!! I might be tempted to send them an email later telling them how disappointed you were that they did that to your kitchen. I would certainly put them on my DO NOT TAKE AGAIN list!.
We thought they were coming back to check out so we hadn't gone into the room. Should have. Wet towels on all the beds (4 guests, remember), wet towels on the carpet.

OH no....Sorry to hear that..how rude and inconsiderate people are!!! I might be tempted to send them an email later telling them how disappointed you were that they did that to your kitchen. I would certainly put them on my DO NOT TAKE AGAIN list!.
We thought they were coming back to check out so we hadn't gone into the room. Should have. Wet towels on all the beds (4 guests, remember), wet towels on the carpet.
all I can say is GRRRRRR! Real PITA guests!!!!

omg_smile.gif

You really do need to get a folding screen or something at least to set up a visual barrier for your kitchen with a BIG SIGN! I saw some nice screens recently at Pier 1..
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

You really do need to get a folding screen or something at least to set up a visual barrier for your kitchen with a BIG SIGN! I saw some nice screens recently at Pier 1.
All of the supplies are on the GUEST side of the divider. There was no reason at all for them to be in the kitchen. They knew where everything was because they said they would be leaving early so we showed them where to find it. Not that it's hidden, it's all in plain sight. I know, here I am complaining about kitchen invaders again. I don't think a sign or screen would have stopped them.

omg_smile.gif

Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

All of the supplies are on the GUEST side of the divider. There was no reason at all for them to be in the kitchen. They knew where everything was because they said they would be leaving early so we showed them where to find it. Not that it's hidden, it's all in plain sight. I know, here I am complaining about kitchen invaders again. I don't think a sign or screen would have stopped them.
You won't know if it would help until you try it, will you?? :) Give it a shot! There is something about a visual & physical barrier that will keep out a lot of folks. You need to try something different since you keep having these invaders into your space.

omg_smile.gif

Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

You won't know if it would help until you try it, will you?? :) Give it a shot! There is something about a visual & physical barrier that will keep out a lot of folks. You need to try something different since you keep having these invaders into your space.
I agree. If they see a screen up and you SPECIFICALLY point out to the guests during the tour, that the screen is there because of health dept. regs..guests are NOT to enter...they MAY pay attention. I would try something because this obviously is going to happen again!! :-(

omg_smile.gif

Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

I really didn't mean it to be a tirade about the kitchen. It was really that they used up all the milk and cereal. As if they were the only people in the house.
The screen would be great IF the guests could have access to water somewhere else. The only place to get water to fill the tea pot is the kitchen sink. I am not answering the bell at midnight for 'water, please'.

omg_smile.gif

Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

It has nothing to do with complaining again, you are just venting over some very rude slobs...[/h3]I would just about be ready to blow....
Yes, I too would write them an letter, not per email, but certified mail and let them know that I would be tooo embaressed to even ever think about leaving such a mess...I don't want to see their house.
Definately "Not Welcome List " Number one....

i am sorry. this is why i set out a cooler with milk and juice for early leavers because sometimes they will either use (or waste) a large quantity of milk and juice if they have access to it or leave it sitting out to spoil.
confused_smile.gif
What many of us do here is make a bagged breakfast to go and leave in guest fridge (or fridge if you don't have a guest fridge) for them to take away. I put their name and a nice little note on each bag.
I usually put in a juice, yogurt, piece of fruit, a muffin or some loaf slices and some cheese. For Europeans I will not put the baked goods but will make a sandwich on a nice bun with some ham or smoked turkey, cheese, etc. Guests really seem to be happy with that.

omg_smile.gif

Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

I really didn't mean it to be a tirade about the kitchen. It was really that they used up all the milk and cereal. As if they were the only people in the house.
The screen would be great IF the guests could have access to water somewhere else. The only place to get water to fill the tea pot is the kitchen sink. I am not answering the bell at midnight for 'water, please'.
Hmmm water is a problem then ..and that does invite people to go into your kitchen. Which you don't want. This seems counter productive here:-(
Can't you just put a gallon or two of water in the mini fridge and tell them,if they need water, it is in there. Label the container "WATER for Coffee / Tea"
Or some sort of bottled water dispenser out in the set up area may be needed.
If they run out at midnight then they run out.
STAY OUT OF MY KITCHEN FOR ANY REASON!!!!
sorry but this lack of respect for private places just makes me angry.

confused_smile.gif
What many of us do here is make a bagged breakfast to go and leave in guest fridge (or fridge if you don't have a guest fridge) for them to take away. I put their name and a nice little note on each bag.
I usually put in a juice, yogurt, piece of fruit, a muffin or some loaf slices and some cheese. For Europeans I will not put the baked goods but will make a sandwich on a nice bun with some ham or smoked turkey, cheese, etc. Guests really seem to be happy with that.
ginocat said:
I just found out there was more...when they arrived yesterday they said only 2 of them were leaving early and could they have breakfast at 5 AM? Hubs said that was a bit too early so they demanded a discount because they weren't going to eat. Hubs showed them the cereals and said they were welcome to have cereal at that hour.
To me, that explains the rest of the problem...they were not getting a discount, they were not getting a 'real' breakfast so they were going to take what they could. It doesn't explain soaking wet towels in the beds, IN the beds mind you, but the state of the kitchen explains their overall attitude.

confused_smile.gif
ginocat said:
I just found out there was more...when they arrived yesterday they said only 2 of them were leaving early and could they have breakfast at 5 AM? Hubs said that was a bit too early so they demanded a discount because they weren't going to eat. Hubs showed them the cereals and said they were welcome to have cereal at that hour.
To me, that explains the rest of the problem...they were not getting a discount, they were not getting a 'real' breakfast so they were going to take what they could. It doesn't explain soaking wet towels in the beds, IN the beds mind you, but the state of the kitchen explains their overall attitude.
Oh yeah..that explains it!! Don't even bother writing them a message..THEY WON'T CARE! If they call another time..which I doubt..I would then remind them of the mess they left and thank you very much..we don't have anything available for you!
Next time something like that happens, remind Hubs to say " there is no charge for breakfast, it is complimentary with the room, so there is no discount to give. You either eat it or you don't! Room is the same price no matter what.
I would add to your website: This way they know the breakfast isn't tied to the room cost.
We serve a complimentary full, hot breakfast every morning. Breakfast is 'cook's choice' .

I am sorry this happened!
sad_smile.gif
I wouldn't email or write them as that would probably just fuel the fire if they did what they did because they were mad over breakfast. Hopefully they don't know about tripadvisor and feel that's a good way to "get back at you" for no discount.
Sad thing is, they probably would treat your house this way whether or not they had a discount because they are pigs!
pig-clipart-picture12.gif

I feel really bad for you. I would be upset too. I just had guests who helped themselves too. Not nearly as bad as your experience.. its kinda funny actually. I had cold bottled water in the refridgerator that I told them to help themselves to. On the back kitchen counter top I had two large bottles of water that my son had refilled from the garden hose and had kept in his car incase he needed water for his radiator, but he forgot them and so there they sat. My guests without even so much as a word helped themselves to the 'larger' bottles of (hose) water and didn't touch the "cold" bottled water in the refrigerator! Go figure. I didn't even notice they were missing until they brought them to the kitchen asking where to throw out the empty bottles! (No I did't tell them they just finished drinking "hose" water!).

I feel really bad for you. I would be upset too. I just had guests who helped themselves too. Not nearly as bad as your experience.. its kinda funny actually. I had cold bottled water in the refridgerator that I told them to help themselves to. On the back kitchen counter top I had two large bottles of water that my son had refilled from the garden hose and had kept in his car incase he needed water for his radiator, but he forgot them and so there they sat. My guests without even so much as a word helped themselves to the 'larger' bottles of (hose) water and didn't touch the "cold" bottled water in the refrigerator! Go figure. I didn't even notice they were missing until they brought them to the kitchen asking where to throw out the empty bottles! (No I did't tell them they just finished drinking "hose" water!)..
high street victorian said:
I feel really bad for you. I would be upset too. I just had guests who helped themselves too. Not nearly as bad as your experience.. its kinda funny actually. I had cold bottled water in the refridgerator that I told them to help themselves to. On the back kitchen counter top I had two large bottles of water that my son had refilled from the garden hose and had kept in his car incase he needed water for his radiator, but he forgot them and so there they sat. My guests without even so much as a word helped themselves to the 'larger' bottles of (hose) water and didn't touch the "cold" bottled water in the refrigerator! Go figure. I didn't even notice they were missing until they brought them to the kitchen asking where to throw out the empty bottles! (No I did't tell them they just finished drinking "hose" water!).
Well, now, THAT brought a smile to my face!

I feel really bad for you. I would be upset too. I just had guests who helped themselves too. Not nearly as bad as your experience.. its kinda funny actually. I had cold bottled water in the refridgerator that I told them to help themselves to. On the back kitchen counter top I had two large bottles of water that my son had refilled from the garden hose and had kept in his car incase he needed water for his radiator, but he forgot them and so there they sat. My guests without even so much as a word helped themselves to the 'larger' bottles of (hose) water and didn't touch the "cold" bottled water in the refrigerator! Go figure. I didn't even notice they were missing until they brought them to the kitchen asking where to throw out the empty bottles! (No I did't tell them they just finished drinking "hose" water!)..
TOO FUNNY! TURNABOUT IS FAIR PLAY!!!

Back