Just say it to my face

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Just found a couple of Yelp reviews I didn't know were there. This in spite of Yelp sending me an email every week showing my 'stats' for the week. No mention of reviews being written.
So, just say it to my face. I recognize one of the reviewers. They LOVED their stay to my face. Online? 'Old rooms,' 'breakfast not that good.' We were ok, so I guess that counts.
People. Be brave. Say it in person. 'Hey, this breakfast isn't what we expected, can you bump it up a notch for the next few mornings?' (Altho, the breakfast we serve is what we post online. If you don't like what you see there, please stay somewhere else.)

Or don't! If they didn't LOVE their stay, then don't say it to me! Just say, goodbye and get on to your next place, but don't ooze love all over me, then slam me. It really shows what a hypocrite you are and don't blame me then for pointing it out in my owner's response
tounge_smile.gif

Or don't! If they didn't LOVE their stay, then don't say it to me! Just say, goodbye and get on to your next place, but don't ooze love all over me, then slam me. It really shows what a hypocrite you are and don't blame me then for pointing it out in my owner's response
tounge_smile.gif
First thing that came to mind was cambs saying, 'it's an old house, the room fits!'
Breakfast is a personal thing. We can't please thousands of people every year.

Would you REALLY want them to say it to you face to face? I know you have some real PITAS and they probably tell you things you don't want to hear sometimes? But most are cowards and use the reviews as their way to vent rather than talk to the innkeeper.

Would you REALLY want them to say it to you face to face? I know you have some real PITAS and they probably tell you things you don't want to hear sometimes? But most are cowards and use the reviews as their way to vent rather than talk to the innkeeper..
More like don't tell me how wonderful it was and then say something else altogether online!

Would you REALLY want them to say it to you face to face? I know you have some real PITAS and they probably tell you things you don't want to hear sometimes? But most are cowards and use the reviews as their way to vent rather than talk to the innkeeper..
More like don't tell me how wonderful it was and then say something else altogether online!
Madeleine said:
thumbs_up.gif

The tough thing is these folks told us they review online a lot. They were complimentary while here and I even asked for a review.

It's their loss. We read reviews with a jaded eye ourselves. We found out many businesses HIRE people to write them who have never used the facility, people have unrealistic expectations of a place and decide to just be hateful and a few reviews are right non the nose. Still it's subjective but it sucks when its your business they are bashing.
The people searching, by and large, believe what is written. No way to make sure....unless maybe you have the guests do an electronic review before they leave...in the form of a guest book. Hmmm something to ponder.

It's their loss. We read reviews with a jaded eye ourselves. We found out many businesses HIRE people to write them who have never used the facility, people have unrealistic expectations of a place and decide to just be hateful and a few reviews are right non the nose. Still it's subjective but it sucks when its your business they are bashing.
The people searching, by and large, believe what is written. No way to make sure....unless maybe you have the guests do an electronic review before they leave...in the form of a guest book. Hmmm something to ponder..
The Safford Inn said:
The people searching, by and large, believe what is written. No way to make sure....unless maybe you have the guests do an electronic review before they leave...in the form of a guest book. Hmmm something to ponder.
I have thousands of reviews written in our guest books. Most of our clientele do not 'live online' as they are a much older cohort than the ones who write a review about everything they do.
Electronic reviews done from your property more than likely won't show up. OR, just the bad ones will. ;-) Once you claim your listing on the various review sites then your IP info is recorded at the review sites. Reviews coming in from the same IP address are generally thought to be reviews by hotel staff and never get posted unless they are bad.
Try to encourage your guests to write the reviews after they leave. IF you want your guests to write reviews. Some innkeepers are flying under the review radar and like it that way.

The people searching, by and large, believe what is written. No way to make sure....unless maybe you have the guests do an electronic review before they leave...in the form of a guest book. Hmmm something to ponder..
The Safford Inn said:
Yes that is a nice idea. Unfortunately many don't use the guest book, they think they will do it on the way out, then race out, or whatever. Guest books are fun to read! Room journals too.

Back