Just something to think about

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Just read this. Yet just another thing to think about. :-(
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/gma-found-clothes-clean/story?id=9482373

made in vietnam and china...I am sure they are roolly clean. NOT

made in vietnam and china...I am sure they are roolly clean. NOT.
I think part of the story was about...people who have already tried the new clothes on. Like..for example....at Victoria's Secret...hmmmmmm.

My DH had an allergic reaction to wearing a flannel shirt he got without washing it first (can I say I told you so? I did!). He wore it over a t-shirt, and the rash started on his arms elbow to wrist but then spread over his entire body. We wash everything first.

My friend told me a story about her friend who purchased a new bra and wore it without washing it. She ended up getting some kind of flesh eating bacterial infection...she had ulcers and sores around the entire area the bra was on her skin. Took her 6 months to get it diagnosed and treated. Yuck.
confused_smile.gif

Oh yeah, that too, no doubt. I worked at a Montgomery Wards (remember them? I first got my ears pierced there as a kid) when I was a young pup and we would go into the dressing rooms and find dirty diapers, urine on the floor, used feminine hygiene products, hair brushes, lipsticks, anything and everything.
I am not saying every day all day - I am not always saying the most negative stuff - I am relating what I have found in my life time while working there for a couple months - after that I changed to work in the men's dept. I am not silly.
Would be smart to bring a can of lysol in with you.
But then you could do that everywhere you go really.
I was orig commenting on the hygiene and practices of overseas third world countries who are sewing your clothing. They do not prewash the fabric - so there is plenty of nasty stuff on/in them as well. (chemicals esp)

My friend told me a story about her friend who purchased a new bra and wore it without washing it. She ended up getting some kind of flesh eating bacterial infection...she had ulcers and sores around the entire area the bra was on her skin. Took her 6 months to get it diagnosed and treated. Yuck.
confused_smile.gif
Oh YuK!!! Ok, I am guilty. I usually wash everything before we wear it..but there have been a few times not...not any more
embaressed_smile.gif

Ewwww. I just watched the video. I always wash new clothes but not before I try them on at the store! Ewwww.

confused_smile.gif
Oh YuK!!! Ok, I am guilty. I usually wash everything before we wear it..but there have been a few times not...not any more
embaressed_smile.gif

Nice. So I went to that radiosmack in the mall last night when we went to the airport and there was a vic secret next door and i had to mention to dh, he was thoroughly disgusted. I said, can you imagine bringing some of this stuff back and they put it back on the hanger to buy?

confused_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Nice. So I went to that radiosmack in the mall last night when we went to the airport and there was a vic secret next door and i had to mention to dh, he was thoroughly disgusted. I said, can you imagine bringing some of this stuff back and they put it back on the hanger to buy?
Another story this morning which starts out with:
nearly half of all sodas dispensed from a sample of 30 machines in the Roanoke Valley in Virginia had coliform bacteria -- a group of bacteria banned in drinking water by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) because it indicates the possibility of fecal contamination.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/soda-fountains-squirt-fecal-bacteria-study-finds/story?id=9506583
Guess ABC is on a bacteria kick right now trying to panic us in other ways. I don't do soda fountain drinks any way.

Blech. I have had lots of skin allergies to things in fabrics so everything gets washed before it's worn around here. Also, I use the laundry detergent without perfumes and dyes. When did we need all these detergents that are scented? I'm baffled by this whole market for scented products.

Blech. I have had lots of skin allergies to things in fabrics so everything gets washed before it's worn around here. Also, I use the laundry detergent without perfumes and dyes. When did we need all these detergents that are scented? I'm baffled by this whole market for scented products..
Samster said:
Blech. I have had lots of skin allergies to things in fabrics so everything gets washed before it's worn around here. Also, I use the laundry detergent without perfumes and dyes. When did we need all these detergents that are scented? I'm baffled by this whole market for scented products.
I think they appeal to smokers who think the scents will mask the smoke smell. We have one smoker in my office and she is very into scented lotions and scened candles.
RIki

Blech. I have had lots of skin allergies to things in fabrics so everything gets washed before it's worn around here. Also, I use the laundry detergent without perfumes and dyes. When did we need all these detergents that are scented? I'm baffled by this whole market for scented products..
Samster said:
I think they appeal to smokers who think the scents will mask the smoke smell. We have one smoker in my office and she is very into scented lotions and scened candles.
RIki
Ohhhhhhhhh....That's a really good point! Do you think it also has to do with the fact that hardly anyone opens the windows in their homes anymore?

Samster said:
RIki
Ohhhhhhhhh....That's a really good point! Do you think it also has to do with the fact that hardly anyone opens the windows in their homes anymore?

No scented anything around here. I am now looking for unscented shampoo. Ideas appreciated. I spent 2 weeks sneezing my head off until I stopped using my shampoo, one I had used for a long time, too.

Samster said:
RIki
Ugh, and is there anything WORSE than that smoke smell with flowery junk on top of it??? Gives me a stomachache. My sister-in-law does this, it's to the point I won't let our DOG go into her house when we visit long-term because she reeks like that when she leaves.

Samster said:
RIki
Ugh, and is there anything WORSE than that smoke smell with flowery junk on top of it??? Gives me a stomachache. My sister-in-law does this, it's to the point I won't let our DOG go into her house when we visit long-term because she reeks like that when she leaves.
Rupert said:
Gives me a stomachache.
When I walk down the cleaner isle at the grocery, I get an instant headache and feel all pukey. It's really over the top...just more toxins.

No scented anything around here. I am now looking for unscented shampoo. Ideas appreciated. I spent 2 weeks sneezing my head off until I stopped using my shampoo, one I had used for a long time, too.
I would think your best bet would be an organic grocery store, or a store that has an organic section. Even if they aren't unscented they are usually made with non-synthetic ingredients which might not irritate you as much.

Samster said:
RIki
Rupert said:
Gives me a stomachache.
When I walk down the cleaner isle at the grocery, I get an instant headache and feel all pukey. It's really over the top...just more toxins.
You know where I can't go? Yankee Candle. Just walking past it in the mall gives me a headache. I'm good for about 2 minutes and then I have to leave. Forget the 'cosmetics' counters at Macy's.
For my getaway weekend I bought lipstick because I know my friends dress up. Immediately couldn't breathe as soon as I put it on. Thank goodness I don't have the kind of job that requires being 'made up!'

Samster said:
RIki
Rupert said:
Gives me a stomachache.
You know where I can't go? Yankee Candle. Just walking past it in the mall gives me a headache. I'm good for about 2 minutes and then I have to leave. Forget the 'cosmetics' counters at Macy's.
For my getaway weekend I bought lipstick because I know my friends dress up. Immediately couldn't breathe as soon as I put it on. Thank goodness I don't have the kind of job that requires being 'made up!'
Morticia said:
Thank goodness I don't have the kind of job that requires being 'made up!'
Amen sister!!

Back