Just stay-over, no breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olga

Reaction score
I have heard of places only offering stay overs, but no breakfast, or maybe just a continental breakfast instead. What are your thoughts?

Good Morning Olga, I would do what is best for your area, be the one that does breakfast! a lot of people i deal with look forward to my breakfast. Just advertise how clean your keeping the kitchen, and your place. I am in MA in the country I barley have been impacted by the Covid-19. I hope this helps a bit.

Continental is an absolute no no. If anything, pack a bag for the guests to take away, but not something where they are picking over the food. Or, do Airbnb style with nothing to eat. It’s really your choice as long as guests know what to expect.

Continental is an absolute no no. If anything, pack a bag for the guests to take away, but not something where they are picking over the food. Or, do Airbnb style with nothing to eat. It’s really your choice as long as guests know what to expect.

Airbnb offers no breakfast at all? They are quite popular. What would the difference in price be approximately?

Good Morning Olga, I would do what is best for your area, be the one that does breakfast! a lot of people i deal with look forward to my breakfast. Just advertise how clean your keeping the kitchen, and your place. I am in MA in the country I barley have been impacted by the Covid-19. I hope this helps a bit.

Thank you :)

We each do what we are comfortable with doing OR what we are permitted to do. Since I only have 3 rooms, I serve family-style full breakfasts. A "full-house" is NOT the norm.

IF you opt for no breakfast, I personally would also not do something else that the full-rate gets so there is no way for the guests to subtract out what you are adding in for breakfasts (I do this for packages also - 3 or more items in a package). When I do a weekly rate, it is no breakfast but that is not published (weekly rate & terms), it is gone over on the phone. My bereavement rate is published and includes breakfast.

I have heard of places only offering stay overs, but no breakfast, or maybe just a continental breakfast instead. What are your thoughts?

My innkeeper friend where I now live has several rooms in the main house and several in a detached large *cottage*. She has gone to in-room very simple breakfast delivery for the main house rooms (3) as each of those rooms has a place to sit and enjoy breakfast. The cottage rooms have been changed to mostly long-term stays. They have some coffee service in each room, small fridges, and one even has a full kitchen. Her biz is way down, but the majority of her guests are folks building new homes in the area. (How I met her as well 3 years ago.)

We are a tiny motel, don’t offer breakfast, suppose all depends on what works for you and guests knowing what to expect

In my area you have to be licensed to serve food to the public. AirBnb operators, by default, are not licensed because they are not businesses. As far as how much to reduce the price by, it depends. The cost of food needs to be taken into account but so do all the other pieces — utilities, time, any staff you might no longer need.

depending on your location and the severity of covid in your area, no meals or meals to go may be an option. We are in Phase 3 here and that means, everyone wears a mask (except while eating), social distancing at all times. We can space people out in our dining room or serve at different times. If guests need a meal before 6:30 am, we offer a to-go meal if they would like it. I have seen an inn offering a "stay your way" option... lodging only or the "whole enchilada" and it's priced accordingly. This works for their business guests who have to be on the road early.

The cost of food needs to be taken into account but so do all the other pieces — utilities, time, any staff you might no longer need.

And keep in mind that most people probably think, incredibly, that the food is free and they don't even consider its value when they're comparing rates vs. places that don't include breakfast. I've always felt this is the great shortcoming of the BnB model.

Also, over many years of monitoring this forum, I'd say that 80% of the headaches arising with guests involve offering breakfast and all the likes, dislikes, allergies, and odd fad diets people follow. In my own case, I leave feeding people to the restaurants who are equipped and used to picky eaters. If I DID offer breakfast, it would have to be on a "take it or leave it" basis.

I always loved doing up the breakfast ... but as Arks said it was the source of most of the problems I ran into. If you're running a BnB people expect breakfast. It's the other 'B'. If you're running an inn, people often think you also serve dinners.
By continental I assume you mean simple, ready to eat things and not hot plated food.
I stayed at a nice little place that delivered a picnic basket to my room in the morning. knocked and left it outside my door with warm muffins and fruit. Dishes, silverware and napkins were in the basket as well. There was a coffee maker in the room and sufficient supplies for me that I assume weren't held over from guest to guest. I ate at a small table on the private balcony.
I was very content.

I find breakfasts one area where we can differentiate ourself from the Airb-B-and-no-Bs. If you can, maximize that opening and then drive a bus through it.
I've even referred to this difference on my outside letter board, posting "How was the Pop-Tart breakfast at your rental? Our Guests? They're having waffles!"

@PhineasSwann I just had someone call asking if they could have breakfast here. When I recommended the local breakfast joints they’d already been to them and weren’t impressed. Oh well. You booked on price. Now you can make up the difference.

Be sure to check your local regulations before making a decision about serving hot breakfast. In Vermont, if you serve a hot breakfast you must be licensed and inspected.

We are one of those licensed and inspected small B+Bs that has served a full hot breakfast every morning in the common dining room. With the new Covid regulations in our state we have dramatically changed our model, eliminating the guest suites in the main house and only offering a continental breakfast, stocked in the cottage, to the 2 guests staying there. We have reduced our price accordingly. So far, so good.

Along with a regular breakfast with social distancing these days, I offer guests a small discount if they enter ‘coffee only’ In the booking engine, this sort of offers an Airbnb experience and price if they want.

Back