Just what I need - a dead phone line!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
RANT - this is a RANT! Be warned!
When I was in SC in janusry there were 2 afternoons/evenings that all I got was a busy signal for hours. When I finally got through the first time it happened, DH assured me he had not been on the phone and that it had not rung all day. When it happened the second day at the same time (I had gotten him earlier in the day each time) I had my City Manager try to call with the same result and she even sent the Police over to check on him. Today I was at a meeting and tried to call - busy every time I tried. Get home and there is no dial tone. DH tells me there has been no dial tone all day. HE was blaming our phone (even showed me how he had thrown the phone in disgust - as if that helped the phone or anything else!). We have had days when he remarked at how quiet the phone had been - no dead air, no yel low pa ge s, no telemar keters, NO RESERVATIONS! Now I am wondering how much of my "dry spell" is duw to the phone being unreliable.
They are supposed to send out a technician tomorrow. How much do we want to bet he finds no problem. BTW - the intercom portion of the phone is working AND I disconnected the phone line from the machine that fed into one of the charging units and plugged in the corded phone that I left in the kitchen (it made a good bookend for my cookbooks) and all I got was staticy sound. I am totally and completely disgusted that a service I pay through the nose for is having these problems. I have a splitter on the line and the Internet is working - but the phone is not! GRRRRRR!!!!!

Interesting that it seems to be the same time frame everyday. Altho it sound more permanent now. And your internet works but your phone doesn't. Have you tried taking the splitter off and plugging the phone directly into the jack? Do you have, oh for Pete's sake what's the thing you plug into the jack when you're using the jack for the internet. Not the splitter. Give me strength. A filter. Do you have a filter on the line? You can try unplugging these and plugging the phone directly in.
Or not.
Neighbors having problems?
And if you just wanted to rant and didn't want any advice...sorry!

Filters have been on the lines since I got the DSL. Can't remember if it was last Feb or the year before. We have not moved furniture or anything else that would have upset the karma or jacks. I have not had any recent avalanches at my desk and the splitter is behind a file cabinet in the Library that does not get moved and is in a place that is impossible to get to - behind the file cabinet that is next to a built-in bookcase with a box of last year's decrapify in front of the splitter and junction box and between the file cabinet and the built-in. Doors to bottom half of said cabinet do not get opened because of this.
Crap! This means I will have to dig out a path to said splitter for tomorrow! That makes it even MORE aggro!

Interesting that it seems to be the same time frame everyday. Altho it sound more permanent now. And your internet works but your phone doesn't. Have you tried taking the splitter off and plugging the phone directly into the jack? Do you have, oh for Pete's sake what's the thing you plug into the jack when you're using the jack for the internet. Not the splitter. Give me strength. A filter. Do you have a filter on the line? You can try unplugging these and plugging the phone directly in.
Or not.
Neighbors having problems?
And if you just wanted to rant and didn't want any advice...sorry!.
Advice is always welcomed. I would love to figure out what is the problem so it stops happening. No one can call in and I cannot call out. BIG problem with my walking (OK clomping) medical problem that lives here. In the land of what ifs he could be a problem and if the kids cannot reach him they get their shorts in a knot. Another reason I have to take him to Iowa for June - how will anyone know there is a phone problem, it just dows not ring?

Filters have been on the lines since I got the DSL. Can't remember if it was last Feb or the year before. We have not moved furniture or anything else that would have upset the karma or jacks. I have not had any recent avalanches at my desk and the splitter is behind a file cabinet in the Library that does not get moved and is in a place that is impossible to get to - behind the file cabinet that is next to a built-in bookcase with a box of last year's decrapify in front of the splitter and junction box and between the file cabinet and the built-in. Doors to bottom half of said cabinet do not get opened because of this.
Crap! This means I will have to dig out a path to said splitter for tomorrow! That makes it even MORE aggro!.
Hey, we went along fat, dumb & happy until one day we had to do check-ins and the cc machine didn't work. Other phone lines worked, just not that line. Of course just not that line! We only use it when we need it, like windshield wipers.

Oh, the Exec (big wig because my City Manager called him) told me the tech would CALL me before he came. Hmmmmm. I wish he could!

We have progressed.... DH checked the phone again before heading to bed. Now instead of dial tone, we get ringing - somewhere? I wonder where? Nothing has changed here. for the heck of it, I checked e-mail werver (I had gone to bed to start reading the arivals from England) and now I need to call the farm to get the OK for 3 horses Sunday! Yeehaa!!

we had the same problem but they were able to divert to my mobile till they could get it fixed so we didn't miss as many calls. We only knew there was a problem cos my mum (who only lives accross town) couldn't get through so came round to tell me so we had to have a man out.

we had the same problem but they were able to divert to my mobile till they could get it fixed so we didn't miss as many calls. We only knew there was a problem cos my mum (who only lives accross town) couldn't get through so came round to tell me so we had to have a man out..
BTW - books arrived, thank you.
Tech was here by 9:30. He traced the problem back to 3 blocks from here at the pole. All fixed. Than goodness I had an e-mail last night from a Canadian instead of a phone call. 2 rooms w/3 horses tomorrow night. Yeehaa!!!!!
This problem has ben intermittent and we have no idea how long but this time it stayed. Nice tech. He gave me his work cell phone number if I have problems again. Said it is only on when he is working - but hey, voice mail to him is better than any other route i have!

Glad it got fixed!
We had to cancel our toll free # because we were getting calls at 3 & 4am with caller id of Home Depot & K-Mart. Phone company couldn't fix it and the stores swore that their phone systems were locked down that time of night. Instead of getting a new toll free, we decided to not have one since most people have unlimited long distance now.

Put call forwarding on it and send it to your cell for a few days until you can figure it out.

Put call forwarding on it and send it to your cell for a few days until you can figure it out..
All fixed. As uaual. it does not hurt to know someone with BIG people's e-mail/phone number. I wes told they have a backlog of problems so they are working Saturday & Sunday (this company just bought the landlines of a mega company las summer). Anyway, the man came out Saturday morning - was here by 9:30 and problem resolved by 20:30. He traced the problem back to where it hits the pole from the communcations building (3 blocks away). Our wires were touching - had this problem before but last time it ws 2 conversations on the same line.
I had no dial tone, no way to forward that I know of. (plus too many dead cell areas here.) I WILL however be checking every day to make sure the phone is functioning BOTH ways.

Back