Just When I Think I've Seen Everything

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Yesterday I checked in a guest who was supposed to be here with her husband...he may show up, may not I'm told. He never showed up.
OK
This guest is extremely overweight, has had 1 knee replaced and can't bend the other one. She's using a cane. She had rented the upstairs suite. The other downstairs rooms are available. I question her if the stairs will be a problem for her...no she says. I offer to get her luggage and things from the car because I can see that it's a struggle for her. I bend over backwards so that she doesn't have to go down the stairs again. I bring her up a caraffe of boiling water & everything to make tea in her suite so she doesn't have to go downstairs for anything. I keep thinking "what if she falls"?
Ok, so I have her settled in. She's our only guest. I get up this morning and actually deliver her hot beverage upstairs into her suite. I ask her if she slept well. She proceeds to tell me that no, she didn't sleep well because she got herself stuck in the double jacuzzi tub and couldn't get out for 5 hours!!! With her physical problems and her girth, she couldn't even get to the button to turn off the jets! She asked if I knew that the jets were on a cycle? They go for about an hour and a half, turn off, then about half hour later they turn back on. When she would fall asleep in the tub, the jets would turn on and startle her!
Somehow, after 5 hours, she somehow got enough strength to pull herself up. I'm horrified at this point! She's able to laugh a little about it. She tells me that's the last time she'll ever get into a jacuzzi.
Ya think?????
Well, it's night 2 now and no husband. I guess the jacuzzi situation didn't traumatize her too much because she just added a 3rd night to her stay.
I think I'll go have a nervous breakdown now.

And that is why one shower is a 48 inch and the other is 60 inch! I had visions of having to crisco a wide-load guest out of the shower - yech!!!

HOLY COW!
Have some destressing calming tea...I know I would. Besides the obv that is really scary. Now you are thinking of all the things that could have happen and how you need to change things for just one guest mishap that was entirely "the guest." Like my sign about using mugs for hot liquids, not cups from the water cooler for hot scalding boiling water from the kettle. DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!

OK, that is the best story of the year so far. How could anyone SLEEP in cold water? Unless the water is continually heated, too, as well as the jets cycling.

omg! I know this doesn't help this situation, but I got to thinking about our big jetted tubs early on when someone showed up totally hungover at breakfast. I added a line to our registration form that all guests signed, "Use of jetted tubs and steam showers is at your own risk." After that, "_____ Inn is not responsible for loss of any money or valuables." Better than nothing, I guess.
I hope the lady is OK.....

omg! I know this doesn't help this situation, but I got to thinking about our big jetted tubs early on when someone showed up totally hungover at breakfast. I added a line to our registration form that all guests signed, "Use of jetted tubs and steam showers is at your own risk." After that, "_____ Inn is not responsible for loss of any money or valuables." Better than nothing, I guess.
I hope the lady is OK......
She's fine. She seems to have a pretty good sense of humor about it. We now know that her husband will not be here at all. One more night to get through! She seems to be having a good time just vegetating in her room reading.

I hope the lady is OK......
She's fine. She seems to have a pretty good sense of humor about it. We now know that her husband will not be here at all. One more night to get through! She seems to be having a good time just vegetating in her room reading.
Other than getting stuck in the tub, that sounds like the perfect vacation...

LMAO!!!!! This is the BEST story I've heard in years!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm so happy she had a sense of humor about it.

Ok that story beats everything. Forget the calming tea I would go for the wine LOL
I do think we need to write a book about this stuff.
I just had a guest (2 Sisters) that called my cell phone at 2 am Yes 2 in the morning to ask for extra towels. I almost lost it but I kept my cool. And they acted like nothing the next morning at breakfast. But they checked out and I moved on to the next guest.

What a great story - thanks for sharing. I can rest assured that that will never happen here. The interior doors/doorways here are only 23". The entrance door is 22". If you can't get inside in the first place....my bathtub is safe from situations like this.

What a great story - thanks for sharing. I can rest assured that that will never happen here. The interior doors/doorways here are only 23". The entrance door is 22". If you can't get inside in the first place....my bathtub is safe from situations like this..
But what about your guests getting stuck in the doorway! Suck it in, suck it in!
confused_smile.gif

What a great story - thanks for sharing. I can rest assured that that will never happen here. The interior doors/doorways here are only 23". The entrance door is 22". If you can't get inside in the first place....my bathtub is safe from situations like this..
But what about your guests getting stuck in the doorway! Suck it in, suck it in!
confused_smile.gif

Getting stuck in the jacuzzi is one pretty scary thought. But, BD, you're totally right. There are a lot of places to get stuck in a boat!

What's amazing is that we've never had a guest so large that it was even a concern. Probably because folks who are that large don't seek us out anyway. We are at the end of a very, very long dock. If you can't get through our door, you probably won't survive the walk down the dock.
Lots of places to get stuck on a boat...yep...there are some instance where when I crawl through a hole to go work on something, I take my phone and a saw...just in case.

What's amazing is that we've never had a guest so large that it was even a concern. Probably because folks who are that large don't seek us out anyway. We are at the end of a very, very long dock. If you can't get through our door, you probably won't survive the walk down the dock.
Lots of places to get stuck on a boat...yep...there are some instance where when I crawl through a hole to go work on something, I take my phone and a saw...just in case..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I used to live on a boat myself some years back, so I know what you're saying. The docks themselves are often only for the very fit. And most folks who are seeking out an adventure on a boat tend to be fit to begin with.
Although we did have one mate at one point who was so tall he couldn't fit in his berth and we had to move all kinds of things around to make sure he had a good night's sleep (and we could count on him for his shift).
I'm sure that's not an issue on your floating B&B!

Ok that story beats everything. Forget the calming tea I would go for the wine LOL
I do think we need to write a book about this stuff.
I just had a guest (2 Sisters) that called my cell phone at 2 am Yes 2 in the morning to ask for extra towels. I almost lost it but I kept my cool. And they acted like nothing the next morning at breakfast. But they checked out and I moved on to the next guest..
nkeeprs said:
I just had a guest (2 Sisters) that called my cell phone at 2 am Yes 2 in the morning to ask for extra towels. I almost lost it but I kept my cool. And they acted like nothing the next morning at breakfast. But they checked out and I moved on to the next guest.
They acted like nothing because we all have a 24 hr staff like all the hotels....
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Diva - this is the best story yet... My first thought was HOLLLYY Cow... but JB beat me to it!

Any guesses as to why her husband didn't show up!!!
tounge_smile.gif
It's a very sad situation in reality. And people wonder why their knees breakdown!!!

tounge_smile.gif
It's a very sad situation in reality. And people wonder why their knees breakdown!!!.
And people wonder why their knees breakdown!!!
Yes, it is partly due to fat, but it is also partly from jumping off hay wagons, lifting milk cans of water, spending 25 years hoisting cartons of computer paper and bending down in a twist position to insert said box of paper where it goes for printing and twisting in small spaces at the back to remove the printed box of paper, carrying groceries, moving furniture, carrying a kid, purse, diaper bag and whatever else you can manage as you go up and down the steps - all the normal stuff one does in a normal home and working life. Then there is stepping in chuck holes, running bases, playing jump rope and hopscotch, tripping on tree roots....
Many people are very quick to point the finger at someone who is overweight and say their medical problems are no wonder because of their weight. THAT is my burr under the saddle. DH is thin but although my knees are shot from myriad reasons (and I am not saying the poundage going away is not partly a factor) I am in better shape than he is and the times I was lighter, I was not as healthy. People - especially thin people - forget genetics is a factor. And just as many thin people drop dead as us fat people. At one time I was put on a thyroid med and I ballooned - not what I ate, the meds did it and when I stopped the meds went back to normal - FOR ME. I congratulate all who were graced with genes that give them an "acceptable" weight today. In the times of the artist Titian I had the desirable figure!
So before anyone thinks no wonder no husband was seen, he may have been tied up with business or whatever. There is a lady in this town who is VERY overweight whose husband is not (he is also very goodlooking) and he is very solicitous and very much in love with his wife.

tounge_smile.gif
It's a very sad situation in reality. And people wonder why their knees breakdown!!!.
They are both consultants and a client took prescedent. In the end she was very happy and wanted to see the other rooms. As I took her around, she kept scoping out the tubs/showers to see what would work better for her. Hopefully next time, she'll have her husband to help her out of the "sticky" situations!

Back