Just WHY does T A need this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder just how much personal, PRIVATE info T A has gathered this way. Oh the files of info that are being gathered on this privacy oriented society. And from so many directions..
Not only TA, everything you do online is tracked and collated and sold to the highest bidder. And, because every agency you do business with offline puts all your info in their online db, you're tracked even when you don't know it. Pay by cc? Tracked. Pay by check? Tracked. Email anyone? That's stored somewhere.
All I can hope for is I never become an 'interesting party' to anyone anywhere. There's too much of me online!
Madeleine said:
Not only TA, everything you do online is tracked and collated and sold to the highest bidder. And, because every agency you do business with offline puts all your info in their online db, you're tracked even when you don't know it. Pay by cc? Tracked. Pay by check? Tracked. Email anyone? That's stored somewhere.
All I can hope for is I never become an 'interesting party' to anyone anywhere. There's too much of me online!
There is a lovely Chrome extension called "Do Not Track Plus" and another called "Facebook Disconnect" which are both wonderful tools that make you much less visible on the net.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
There is a lovely Chrome extension called "Do Not Track Plus" and another called "Facebook Disconnect" which are both wonderful tools that make you much less visible on the net.
I may have to try that. I'm using stealth mode on Firefox but it doesn't have the facebook disconnect so I'm not sure what it IS doing, if anything.

I wonder just how much personal, PRIVATE info T A has gathered this way. Oh the files of info that are being gathered on this privacy oriented society. And from so many directions..
Lots of stores ask for my phone number, even if I'm paying with cash. It's all about tracking who you are and what you like to buy.
I always make up a phone number to give them. If I happen to make up someone's real number, I hope it doesn't cause them any more grief than a little extra junk mail.
Arkansawyer said:
Lots of stores ask for my phone number, even if I'm paying with cash. It's all about tracking who you are and what you like to buy.
I always make up a phone number to give them. If I happen to make up someone's real number, I hope it doesn't cause them any more grief than a little extra junk mail.
Some of that is for sales info, they want to know how many are coming from where to shop there. They do those surveys every once in a while, and in fact they try to FORCE me to give the info for this area. They want the zip codes and how much they spent with us. I am not giving it to anyone.
Just like FB targets what you share and what your interests are. I had a daughter trun 18 in Jan and I get credit cards in the mail for her weekly now. I will say, at least they ar respecting the age laws. Today I got a scam in the mail for some modeling company in Jersey. (With her name on it). A sucker is born every minute...
Joey Bloggs said:
Just like FB targets what you share and what your interests are. I had a daughter trun 18 in Jan and I get credit cards in the mail for her
weekly
now. I will say, at least they ar respecting the age laws. Today I got a scam in the mail for some modeling company in Jersey. (With her name on it). A sucker is born every minute...
You can go to the 3 major credit bureaus and have her name removed permanently from solicitations. Not every cc company goes thru the credit agencies, but the ones who do won't send anything. I have not received a cc solicitation in 7 years. If I want a cc, I can find one!
Are the Armed Services calling? We went thru that for years.
Also, while you're at it, lock her credit account so no one can take out a card in her name. It'll cost $10-$20 to put the lock on and then again to take it off if she wants to buy something big later on. (It will also keep HER from getting a cc in her name while she's still living at home.) That would have saved us a lot of grief. Ugh.

Arkansawyer said:
Giving your phone number or your zip code when using a cc gives them your opt in to get marketing.

Back