Keep the clawfoots or new showers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamelon

Reaction score
Hi All,
Our building is quite old, and came with several clawfoot tubs. I personally find showering in a clawfoot tub annoying.
Do we replace with modern tub/showers and give up the historic aspect? We are creating two new bathrooms and those will have just showers
Thanks for your input!

Probably depends on your guests. I have fond memories of soaking in a claw foot tub in years long past and I like the look, but many years later probably easier/safer today using the shower.

You can't shower properly in a clawfoot. I would do doorless showers if you had the place for it, but otherwise, large showers with glass doors.

Modern shower with non-slip tile and grab bars. Your insurance agent will love you. I just about killed myself getting out of a claw foot, stepping way down to the floor. Guests like the authentic B&B look elsewhere, but in the bathroom, wet, slippery and naked, they like comfort and ease of access.

Two points, it's a matter of cost to remove and replace (which means redoing most of the bathroom I am certain), then I would replace later... and #2 if it looks good, and is part of the essence of the inn, keep them.
I wouldn't think you will get a 5 or 7 night rental in one with a clawfoot however, so consider that. Do whatever you can to make them easier to get in and out of, and play up the nostalgic character of them. Are most guests coming there for a romantic getaway or are they there to go hiking? If the latter then they will be a hindrance.

Get rid of them. As i age, there is no way I want to get in and out of one of those. Dangerous as well for seniors that is.

We decided to keep ours after an informal poll of guests. They all love the antique feel of a real tub.

I kept one. Great fixed shower head (like a rainfall) and people loved it. It did not have a hand held shower, as that can be a deal breaker for a lot of folks. Also, older people may have a challenge in climbing into the tub.
But I had a wide variety of choices between all our rooms - 2 person jetted tubs with separate steam showers or shower; single air jetted tubs with shower over.
Someone else asked about this and I think it depends on your niche. Good luck!

Modern shower with non-slip tile and grab bars. Your insurance agent will love you. I just about killed myself getting out of a claw foot, stepping way down to the floor. Guests like the authentic B&B look elsewhere, but in the bathroom, wet, slippery and naked, they like comfort and ease of access..
thumbs_up.gif

Fascinating. Beach House asked this question recently
https://www.innspiring.com/node/17423
I love clawfoot tubs and would add shower and surrounds ... gorgeous. Would never demolish them unless I had to.

when we went from being 3 with shared and the c;aw-foot with hand-held shower WAS all we had, I moved the claw-foot into the newly created bathroom and ALSO installed a 48 inch shower. That fives option for soak and since we take kids, a place to bathe them.
I replaced the claw-foot with a 60 inch shower. I did not put doors on my showers. I have vinyl shower curtains on the outside and on the same shower curtain hooks, facing the occupant of said shower, I have nylon shower curtain liners that get replaces and washed with each guest change obviously. Prevents mildew on the vinyl and the icky vinyl does not come in contact with the guest. This has worked for me since 2006. Since I was creating the bathroom by taking half a bedroom (my storage room) I had space.
As an old person, I agree totally that they are a bitch to get in and out of. GOOD GRAB BARS are a must if that is the only option.
I want to add that I hate ANY tub that does not have a bar for me to steady myself. Could not remove the tub in our bath when we did the reno - shower chair was a must.

I kept one. Great fixed shower head (like a rainfall) and people loved it. It did not have a hand held shower, as that can be a deal breaker for a lot of folks. Also, older people may have a challenge in climbing into the tub.
But I had a wide variety of choices between all our rooms - 2 person jetted tubs with separate steam showers or shower; single air jetted tubs with shower over.
Someone else asked about this and I think it depends on your niche. Good luck!.
think it depends as well how many rooms you have total ie we have 10 double rooms so anyone with mobility can easily be moved as only 1 has a claw foot tub - we put in a super soap dish/grab rail combo as didn't want anything that looked like it was from a hospital - but there are some very good attractive ones on ebay for very good prices now.

When I added showers in 2008 we were required to install grab bars - I would think any renovation would require them for new shower? This was in Maine. They were INTENSE ... I watched the drilling and installation of the system in the walls. Can support a lot of weight and they had to be installed in two locations. Agree grab bars are a must but not just for tubs.

If you have room for both, I would keep the tub and add a separate shower unit.

If you have room for both, I would keep the tub and add a separate shower unit..
Country Girl said:
If you have room for both, I would keep the tub and add a separate shower unit.
Love this idea.
I will say that every hotel I was in over the past two weeks has gotten rid of the tubs or is in the process. The showers are the exact size of the old tubs and the handles were left way down on the wall where they were for the tub, but the tubs are gone. Easier to clean, less liability.
But. I still love a nice, deep old clawfoot tub.

Thank you so much! I wish I could keep both but we are creating two brand new bathrooms that are smalll and will only accommodate a shower OR tub. One guest room will have a free standing tub in an alcove, separate from the toilet and sink, with a handheld; that one I'm going to buy new and make it a tub for two. The last I may keep the clawfoot.

We only had one bathroom with a clawfoot tub. We had it refinished, and also installed a large glass doored shower with a regular and a rain head. It is in our suite and guests love it. The tub also has a hand held shower. When we constructed our own bathroom ,I insisted on a sep. walk in shower and a 5' new clawfoot tub. I love it .so much safer to get out of than a regular tub.

Back