Keeping a Good Front

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyswan

Reaction score
Our precious dog of 15 years has been ailing over the past few days and died right before breakfast was served this morning.... that was a tough act to carry out serving and conversing, but we did it. Our guests were here for a 10th wedding anniversary... we just couldn't let them know our sadness. They have left the table and now we can be with our sorrow. Time heals - looking forward to tomorrow and the next day.

Oh my I feel so bad for you. My sincerest sympathy. I had to put my 19 year old cat to sleep the day some guests arrived. I tried to hide my grief but when a guest got to talking about her cat, I started crying. Told her what had happened and she hugged me and cried with me. I am tearing just thinking about that. They are family!
God bless.

Soooo sorry to hear of your loss. May you find comfort knowing all your 'innkeeper' family will be thinking of you.

Please accept my condolences. I know that our pets are as much family as our kids are - especially after the kids are gone. Their unconditional love leaves a void when they are gone.

Double sympathy... both for your loss and for having to hide it.
=(
Kk.

That is really tough
sad_smile.gif
We have an 18 1/2 year old dog who has been having more good than bad days lately, but it is only a matter of time before I think we will have to put her down. She has back problems and there are days when she really can't get around. If she seemed like she was in pain, I would have made the trip to the vet awhile ago. I made my dh go & talk to the vet about what we should do because I just couldn't handle it. Our son will be here next week to help me out and I wanted him to see her again. They grew up together.
I feel your pain....
So sorry. We are here for you!

Greyswan I am so sorry to hear this. It's hard enough to lose a companion like that, and even harder when you have to put your emotions on hold, put on a mask and carry on. It is a concept that I think many innkeepers don't think about until it happens to them. Grieving while guests are around is difficult.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. it's a tough thing to have to do.
If it is of any solace, rest assured that innkeepers get extra points in this world for the things we do to take care of our guests.

My heart goes out to you. Pets certainly do become a much loved member of a a family. We had to put our 10 year old golden retriever to sleep last June, on the same day our oldest son graduated from college. It was such a bitter sweet day, but she died surrounded by all the people who loved her. We still miss her.

Such sadness as I read your post C. Wish I were there to give you both a hug. Our hearts are heavy for you. xoxo

thanks, inn-mates - your comments have really touched me! Coco has spent the day in the back of the truck - her favorite place. She knew what "do you want to go for a ride" meant. We just got back from dropping her off at the vets who will take care of her remains.
Dogs possess some wonderful qualities - unconditional love and loyalty. I strive to be the person my dog thought I was.
sad_smile.gif

That is really tough
sad_smile.gif
We have an 18 1/2 year old dog who has been having more good than bad days lately, but it is only a matter of time before I think we will have to put her down. She has back problems and there are days when she really can't get around. If she seemed like she was in pain, I would have made the trip to the vet awhile ago. I made my dh go & talk to the vet about what we should do because I just couldn't handle it. Our son will be here next week to help me out and I wanted him to see her again. They grew up together.
I feel your pain....
So sorry. We are here for you!.
Have you tried accupuncture? It worked with our dog. Also if it is arthritis, they have good drugs for that as well, Rimadyl is one.

thanks, inn-mates - your comments have really touched me! Coco has spent the day in the back of the truck - her favorite place. She knew what "do you want to go for a ride" meant. We just got back from dropping her off at the vets who will take care of her remains.
Dogs possess some wonderful qualities - unconditional love and loyalty. I strive to be the person my dog thought I was.
sad_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

That's a great attitude. It's hard losing a pet who has become a beloved family member. I always found that being honest worked best with my guests. They would often asked why I started the B&B which would lead into a conversation about my mom's Alzheimer's. They were always compassionate and often could relate because of elderly relatives. She's passed on now, so it isn't so much of an issue now.

I am so sorry for your loss Greyswan it tough loosing a pet! We have an old one as well and she grew up with all my kids although most of kids are gone now and the boys don't live close by it would be really sad to tell them when she goes. She is ok right now and she's around 18, don't know how she does it.
So sorry for your loss....
cry_smile.gif

Sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers for comfort and peace are with you

Back