Keeping keys

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I have had this three times today alone. We allow guests to leave cars in the car park after they have checked out and the quickest way to the car park is through our lounge. several guests are going about 5 one in a car 2 on the train. All three have asked can we keep our keys to get in later for our bags? Me "no because those rooms are let tonight and I need the keys" "but how will I get my bag?" feel like saying do you remember when you first came you rang the bell and i came to let you in? just ring the bell!!!!! Also how is it that people have no concept that the room will be let again tonight to someone else who won't want YOU walking about with the key to their room! Its the puzzled look on their faces when you say no I need them back for the next guest that baffles me!!!!

It IS odd how they don't consider someone else is coming in and they and their baggage have to be out of the room.

Its not the keys in themselves its the attitude of "oh gosh is there someone in that room tonight that isn't me?" what do they think I'm doing? just letting rooms for the one event? and the fact that they rang the bell to be let in on arrival but have no clue how to get in after check out - ie ring the bell?

Its not the keys in themselves its the attitude of "oh gosh is there someone in that room tonight that isn't me?" what do they think I'm doing? just letting rooms for the one event? and the fact that they rang the bell to be let in on arrival but have no clue how to get in after check out - ie ring the bell?.
Its not the keys in themselves its the attitude of "oh gosh is there someone in that room tonight that isn't me?" what do they think I'm doing? just letting rooms for the one event? and the fact that they rang the bell to be let in on arrival but have no clue how to get in after check out - ie ring the bell?
Because they took ownership. In a short time frame they now own that room and your inn. They never think that there is anyone else...like those who show up at midnight - we are up at 6am preparing breakfast and they are put out by us (the same people, or in my case, person) not being there for check in - AFTER check in hours?
I laugh every time someone gives a goofy blanket statement, today 4 guests at the table "So I guess this it for the weekend." The other guests say "We are only here one night..." Oh. They will be shocked to find three new rooms checked in and at the table tomorrow. They cannot see the forest through the trees!

Its not the keys in themselves its the attitude of "oh gosh is there someone in that room tonight that isn't me?" what do they think I'm doing? just letting rooms for the one event? and the fact that they rang the bell to be let in on arrival but have no clue how to get in after check out - ie ring the bell?.
Because they took ownership. In a short time frame they now own that room and your inn. They never think that there is anyone else...like those who show up at midnight - we are up at 6am preparing breakfast and they are put out by us (the same people, or in my case, person) not being there for check in - AFTER check in hours?
I laugh every time someone gives a goofy blanket statement, today 4 guests at the table "So I guess this it for the weekend." The other guests say "We are only here one night..." Oh. They will be shocked to find three new rooms checked in and at the table tomorrow. They cannot see the forest through the trees!
Yes, the number of guests who think we only do this on the weekends is amazing. Or, we get comments like, 'It must be nice during the week you get to relax.'

People tend to forget that they are the temporary and you are the permanent. They imagine that it all magically disappears when they leave and reappears when they want to come back. That you will remember them, because you don't have 1000 different visitors each year.

People tend to forget that they are the temporary and you are the permanent. They imagine that it all magically disappears when they leave and reappears when they want to come back. That you will remember them, because you don't have 1000 different visitors each year.
I have had guests come back the following week and I don't recognize them!

Yes, the number of guests who think we only do this on the weekends is amazing. Or, we get comments like, 'It must be nice during the week you get to relax.'
I know we have it the other way round room 4 said to me today o"oh well if you are busy during the week you won't be during the weekend" because I had told him conferences are monday to friday. Yup but the wedding, holiday, family get together people tend to come at the weekend.

I think part of it is the same thing as when they ring up for a particular date ie busy holiday event and are astounded that eveyrwhere is full! Cos it aint just you looking for rooms!!! I had a woman email me for an event we are expecting 20,000 people to attend only 2 months ahead of time (most book a year in advance) I suggested that I send an email out on our email ring to see if anyone had avaliability. She emailed back and it must be only 10 mins walk from the event and this and that. Felt like emailing back and saying then you should have booked 6 months ago like everyone else! you will be lucky to be 10 mins drive away!!!

Back